Do factory IMI SMG Uzi's have S/N's on individual parts?

duza9999

Good morning everyone, I should preface this by noting I am not knowledgeable with the UZI platform, I've had a number of MG's but just never an uzi before.
Back in September I took a premay sample UZI in on trade. However I needed to part ways with it to generate funds for a MG34, so I listed it on GB, which brings me to my question.

I was told by the previous owner who is a friend, that it was an all matching gun, so I included that in my GB listing.

I don't doubt that, as it's a beautiful example, and you can just tell it wasn't used much at all from when it was originally NIB.
However when I was going through the spare parts last night that also came as part of the deal, I couldn't find a stamped S/N on parts such as the bolt, barrel, stock ect.

So I'm wondering am I just blind and missing it, or is it similar to a Reising where there was only a S/N on the receiver and the individual parts were left unnumbered?

Any guidance would be most appreciated :)

Slowmo

Can you link to your GB listing? That might help assess.

Forgive me as I'm not all that familiar with the permutations available for a pre-sample gun. Was it an original IMI imported factory SMG, a converted semi-auto gun (should be marked with importation marks from Action Arms), or a reassembled parts kit of some sort?

I've got a couple parts kits, and they do not have SNs on any parts other than the receiver. I have some grip sticks where they include a serial number on them. The German DES grips that are everywhere are a good example. I assume the SN on the grips once matched the SN on the receiver, but I do not know that for sure.

If it started life as a semi-auto, the bolt should have been changed out for an SMG bolt and would not have matched unless someone went back and numbered it to match.

What does the paperwork list as the registered MG (the gun itself, the bolt, or rarely the sear)? I think some of the Fleming conversions had the serial number recorded on the bolt and/or sear. If for some reason the bolt or sear is married to the gun, it would likely reduce the value of the gun. Is the bolt slotted?

duza9999

Can you link to your GB listing? That might help assess.

Forgive me as I'm not all that familiar with the permutations available for a pre-sample gun. Was it an original IMI imported factory SMG, a converted semi-auto gun (should be marked with importation marks from Action Arms), or a reassembled parts kit of some sort?

I've got a couple parts kits, and they do not have SNs on any parts other than the receiver. I have some grip sticks where they include a serial number on them. The German DES grips that are everywhere are a good example. I assume the SN on the grips once matched the SN on the receiver, but I do not know that for sure.

If it started life as a semi-auto, the bolt should have been changed out for an SMG bolt and would not have matched unless someone went back and numbered it to match.

What does the paperwork list as the registered MG (the gun itself, the bolt, or rarely the sear)? I think some of the Fleming conversions had the serial number recorded on the bolt and/or sear. If for some reason the bolt or sear is married to the gun, it would likely reduce the value of the gun. Is the bolt slotted?
(Edit removed gunbroker link, added Imgur link with the same photos)
It is an original IMI imported SMG. Premay sample refers to any MG imported between December 1968 and the May 86 cut off.

Such guns are not transferable but can be transferred freely between dealers, and once a dealer gives up their license, if they were a sole proprietor they can keep the gun until the day they die, or they decide to sell it to another dealer.

Last edited:

duza9999

Just to confirm so there’s no parts that would even have a partial S/N on an original IMI SMG?

I have a buyer ready for this gun ready, but we’re trying to confirm that.

Part of the confusion stems from IMI semi auto uzi’s apparently having 3 digits from the S/N marked on the barrels and whether IMI did that for SMG Uzi’s aswell.

Thank you!-Mat

Hiller

Pre-may uzi’s don’t have serial numbers on the bolt, top cover, ect…..

R/s, Hiller………

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
I have seen plenty of IMI and FN lowers stamped with the serial number. I can't be certain, but I suspect they were all military/police issue. I actually ground the S/N off when I had it refinished as I thought it was confusing on an NFA gun. Yes, it looks a bit unusual, but I figure it adds a bit of authenticity to it.

Chef

Pre-may sample owner here.
I can verify that there are no other serial numbers stamped on the parts of factory IMI SMGs than the number on the back of the receiver.

Vector Arms

Good morning everyone, I should preface this by noting I am not knowledgeable with the UZI platform, I've had a number of MG's but just never an uzi before.
Back in September I took a premay sample UZI in on trade. However I needed to part ways with it to generate funds for a MG34, so I listed it on GB, which brings me to my question.

I was told by the previous owner who is a friend, that it was an all matching gun, so I included that in my GB listing.

I don't doubt that, as it's a beautiful example, and you can just tell it wasn't used much at all from when it was originally NIB.
However when I was going through the spare parts last night that also came as part of the deal, I couldn't find a stamped S/N on parts such as the bolt, barrel, stock ect.

So I'm wondering am I just blind and missing it, or is it similar to a Reising where there was only a S/N on the receiver and the individual parts were left unnumbered?

We have hundreds of de-milled Uzi SMS's and their parts and none of them have serial numbers on them except the bolts.
Imported Uzi barrels have a serial number stamped on them as part of the European Machine Gun Parts designation.

Timberdogz

Having worked for Action Arms LTD back in the early 1980’s. I don’t recall seeing any serial numbers on the weapon except the receiver.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter