Do the 100 round beta mags work well in uzi's

emrisg

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a full size RR IMI Uzi that BWE went through when I got it. What kind of reliability should I expect from the beta magazine for the Uzi? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Garrett

I've got a couple of them, and they generally run pretty well. You want to use a lot of graphite with them. I usually load around 10, give it a squirt, and then another squirt every 20 or so. I use a Lula loader for all of my Uzi mags, including the Beta mags.

Having said that, I don't use them very often. They are kind of a specialty item, and are somewhat clunky and awkward. I don't know that I'd get one just for general blasting. I generally run the standard 32s for most of my shooting. For big mags, you can make a 50 or 64-round mag using a Taccom coupler, at a fraction of the cost of a Beta mag.

But if you're running Unlimited class at Knob Creek, you want something with lots of ammo. Which is what I have used mine for. Trying to come up with a good way to carry the second one is a bit of a challenge. Suspenders are a must!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9HUCvzasBg&spfreload=10

emrisg

UZI Talk Life Member
How do the mag couplers work? Do you have to buy a new spring and just use 1 follower?

Garrett

Who makes the 70 round drum?
Vector made them back in the day. And C&S Metal Werkes before that. I don't think there have been any big commercial runs of them for a decade or more. You see them for sale occasionally, or you get the cottage industry types making small runs. They use a Soumi drum with a tower welded on. Generally the C&S drums are considered the best, but the Vectors are pretty good as well.

It probably made more sense building them when the doner drums were $4 ea, vs $40. Even so...

emrisg

UZI Talk Life Member
Vector made them back in the day. And C&S Metal Werkes before that. I don't think there have been any big commercial runs of them for a decade or more. You see them for sale occasionally, or you get the cottage industry types making small runs. They use a Soumi drum with a tower welded on. Generally the C&S drums are considered the best, but the Vectors are pretty good as well.

It probably made more sense building them when the doner drums were $4 ea, vs $40. Even so...

Damn I was hoping somebody started making them again. I had a chance to buy a C&S drum several years ago. I wish I had bought it.

SecondAmend

Damn I was hoping somebody started making them again. I had a chance to buy a C&S drum several years ago. I wish I had bought it.

The last couple Vector drums that I've seen for sale (I did buy one of them, and it works without any problems) sold for more than the price of a new Beta C Uzi drum. But as noted, the Beta C is more awkward.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Bugzy

UZI Talk Life Member

Potentially worth the effort, even with the current value of the drums and associated parts to make it happen.

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
i bought a 100 rnd uzi beta when they first came out. Paid $450. It immed became a jamomatic and all the dummy rounds and internals got thoroughly buggered up. After messing with that a few times the plastic drum went in my box-o-gun-shit-that-doesnt-work and its been in there for several years neglected. Maybe one day I'll tinker with it again. Now that said the Box-o-gun-shit-that-dont-work is quite large, my patience limited, and I have other betas that are great so no big slam on beta. I prefer X products in general bc they are metal and Ive had better luck with them personally.

SecondAmend

Potentially worth the effort, even with the current value of the drums and associated parts to make it happen.

As a reference number, the price of the 68 round drum from Vector on 7/28/2007 was $262.50 plus shipping.

thompson4433

One of my cardinal rules is:

Never buy any product unless EVERYONE says it works GREAT.

Follow that rule and you'll be a lot happier in life.

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
^^^ prob a decent rule to follow.
y'day i took the x products new 9mm mp5 drum out for a whirl. total crap. loose rnds jamming up the works, too tight in mag well, bolt scraping across the feed lips gouging it...and i was running a factory hk. sheeesh. into the dang bin of mg-stuff-that-dont-work.... and its a large bin

DeadEyeDonna

i bought a 100 rnd uzi beta when they first came out. Paid $450. It immed became a jamomatic and all the dummy rounds and internals got thoroughly buggered up. After messing with that a few times the plastic drum went in my box-o-gun-shit-that-doesnt-work and its been in there for several years neglected. Maybe one day I'll tinker with it again. Now that said the Box-o-gun-shit-that-dont-work is quite large, my patience limited, and I have other betas that are great so no big slam on beta. I prefer X products in general bc they are metal and Ive had better luck with them personally.

Pl;ease tell me about X-Products mag......they have the Gen1 50 round drum on sale.....
It says for AR15 style guns.
I know they are close, but will they work????

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
I have 50 rnd X products drums for my AR15 and also for my MP5. The former runs great, the latter didn't work hardly at all in my MP5k.

I do not believe they have an Uzi one.

mmi

the uzi beta mag i have fires a burst jams repeat about 3 or 4 times then empty itself . my buddy was shotting one on a ac 556 and he dumped oil in it didnot get more than 5 rnds out of it "no oil" .have only shot a few times

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter