Don Thomas Passing

Suprasonic

I just saw this thread; I am truly sorry for his loss.

I met Don about a year ago, I purchased the Mac Man book directly from him. He would always have breakfast at a local Waffle House, so my wife and I met him there to pick it up. We spent an hour and a half with him, talking and listening to his stories about his time at MAC, which was truly fascinating. He was such a warm and kind soul, and such a treasure of knowledge and history of the firearms world, and I feel blessed to be able to have met him even briefly.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

MAC MAN

UZI Talk Life Member
Are there any plans for an updated version?

No. I asked Frank Iannamico and he told me no. The book was produced by Dan Shea. That is that Dan Shea wrote the checks for the book to be written and printed. Don wanted me to do a book of just my collection. Only photo's with a small description of each item. I am retired now and am thinking of doing that or seeing if I could add my whole collection to Franks book and pay for an updated book instead of paying for my own book. Just do one book. Not having two books on the subject. Frank told me color photos are expensive.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
No. I asked Frank Iannamico and he told me no. The book was produced by Dan Shea. That is that Dan Shea wrote the checks for the book to be written and printed. Don wanted me to do a book of just my collection. Only photo's with a small description of each item. I am retired now and am thinking of doing that or seeing if I could add my whole collection to Franks book and pay for an updated book instead of paying for my own book. Just do one book. Not having two books on the subject. Frank told me color photos are expensive.

I always thought you were Frank!

MAC MAN

UZI Talk Life Member
I hated to disappoint you but I am not Frank. Thanks for the compliment. Frank Lives in Pennsylvania. I live in Georgia.

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
I always thought you were Frank!

No I'm Frank...

Dan Shea did an interview with Don a while back for SAR magazine, but it was never published. Dan recorded the interviews and then had a company transcribe the recording onto paper. There were 30k words and a lot of it just talking about unrelated subjects, and a lot of the text was misspelled because the people typing the recorded text were not gun people. Don called me during his last days in the hospital, and I told him I would get the interview published. So, I volunteered to edit the text and make spelling corrections. It is in the queue for publication in SAR magazine, but I'm not sure which issue it will appear in. As Jeff (MAC MAN) mentioned Don was a very nice individual and without him, much of the MAC history would have been lost.
Rest in Peace Don.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter