Fn-fal

grezy

UZI Talk Supporter
If you NFA / SBR a fn-fal receiver can use any parts kit. Will U.S parts requirement be in play or not.

Kramer

It used to be no, but there is a letter going around from 1999 that states if you build it with a foreign reciever then it has to be 922R compliant.

az_gun_nut

UZI Talk Supporter
Are you referring to taking an existing FN-FAL and turning into an SBR or taking a new receiver and building an SBR? Two different scenarios.

grezy

UZI Talk Supporter
az_gun_nut said:
Are you referring to taking an existing FN-FAL and turning into an SBR or taking a new receiver and building an SBR? Two different scenarios.
New receiver

Kramer

Surly said:
I built it on a US receiver. I then SBR'd it. I was under the presumption that NFA trumped 922r. :dunno

With a U.S. receiver yes.

wonderdog451

The shortest I would go and therefore avoid bending the gas piston is 16". Or you could just buy a DSA short-gas front end.:uzi

az_gun_nut

UZI Talk Supporter
Why not just buy a factory DSA FAL SBR? By the time you buy all the parts, pay to have the work done, waste time tinkering to get it to run right, you'd be money and time ahead just buying a factory gun that has a warranty and should run right out of the box.

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
"Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson'
wonderdog451 said:
The shortest I would go and therefore avoid bending the gas piston is 16". Or you could just buy a DSA short-gas front end.:uzi

Bent gas piston? I never bent mine and it's seen around 1K or better. :dunno

rfbfal.jpg

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
az_gun_nut said:
Why not just buy a factory DSA FAL SBR? By the time you buy all the parts, pay to have the work done, waste time tinkering to get it to run right, you'd be money and time ahead just buying a factory gun that has a warranty and should run right out of the box.

I built mine because everyone said I couldn't and that it would never function correctly. I have into it less than the cost of a DSA barreled upper to boot. :evilgrin

wonderdog451

Personally, I feel that with the 7.62x51/.308 Winchester cartridge, any barrel length shorter than 16" is a waste. And as stated might leave you vulnerable to issues with function. I have 3 fn-fal rifles so far, a 21", a 18" and a short-gas 14" with a non removable flash-hider to bring it up to 16.5". The short gas is my favorite due to it's light weight.

az_gun_nut

UZI Talk Supporter
Surly said:
I built mine because everyone said I couldn't and that it would never function correctly. I have into it less than the cost of a DSA barreled upper to boot. :evilgrin

You did good Surly, that Para Shorty looks sweet. I had a 16 inch Imbel (14 inch barrel with perm attache muzzle brake) that just would not run 100%. I replaced everything in the gas system but it would still FTE one or two rounds out of 20 without turning the gas system open higher than setting 3. Was that a factory DSA shorty upper or did you make your own barrel/gas system?

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
az_gun_nut said:
You did good Surly, that Para Shorty looks sweet. I had a 16 inch Imbel (14 inch barrel with perm attache muzzle brake) that just would not run 100%. I replaced everything in the gas system but it would still FTE one or two rounds out of 20 without turning the gas system open higher than setting 3. Was that a factory DSA shorty upper or did you make your own barrel/gas system?

That's my own doing. I forget what the gas setting is, but it's pretty much closed. I'm not too worried about adjusting it down or it needing more gas due to being fouled from extended shooting.

The whole bent this, broken that bullshit is just that...bullshit. I have a 5.5" AK pistol that's 100% and I have the barrel ready for a 3.25" when I get around to it. Obviously, I'm not planning on the next zombie insurrection with the ballistics. These are toys that give me and others pleasure and that's why I like them. Pissing others off that say it can't be done is gratifying as well. :evilgrin

garandman

Surly said:
Pissing others off that say it can't be done is gratifying as well. :evilgrin

With a name like Surly, I never woulda guessed that. :devil :evilgrin

Truly cool FAL and Keltec. :)

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
wonderdog451 said:
How has the RFB handled and functioned so far?

The only problem I had with it was with one of the retaining ears bending inward in the spent casing chute. It wouldn't eject casings until I tore it apart and bent it back out. I wasn't certain if these were heat treated and I contacted Kel-Tec. The sent me a new chute within a one week period and It hasn't fucked up since. It's definitely a keeper for me. I'm going to be lengthening it with a can this year and it will be getting more range time. :D

wonderdog451

I have wondered, do the magazines on the RFB rock in like the Fal or is it a straight insertion like the Ar-15? And, does the stock fold?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter