Full Auto Mini-14 Conversion

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
I recently ran across a Mini-14 that was converted to full-auto before the '86 cutoff. It is an S&S Arms conversion of what appears to be a 181 or later series rifle. It looks to be full auto and semi auto only. It is for sale for what I consider to be an excellent price which is several thousand dollars below an AC556.

Does anybody here have any experience with a full auto Mini-14? Other than the lack of a three round burst option, how does it compare to an AC556? For $8k is it worth buying or is the AC556 worth the extra couple of grand?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I've actually got one converted by the same company. It was registered by an individual and he shipped it off for them to do the conversion. Mine is a GB mini 14, which comes with bayonet lug, threaded barrel and flashhider. So if it's a GB get it, it will add value (not a fortune though). It runs like a top in either semi or full auto.
I've also got an ac556f and it runs great. If you want a select fire mini 14 for thousands less than an ac556 get it.
It also has a nice selector, slightly resembles an M14 selector.

See attched pic of mine
IMG_1251.jpg

Last edited:

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks komodoj.

MontanaRenegade86,
Let me know if you need any other info.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Real ac556s take forever to sell and sell low. I think your better off to buy the real deal

$1,000 more gets you a real gun not a conversion

Values on these guns have been going down hill fast I’ve noticed. I got my ss folder in like new condition for $11,250 2 years ago. I see blued folders selling around the $11,000 range. That would be the smarter buy

Shorter, more tacticool looking.

The burst is most of what i use. It’s not a very controllable gun. Fa is kinda worthless

For a 223 your better to get a Mac 11 and get on the Lage list. $7500 for the Mac and $3,000 for the upper

I wonder if this is why the rugers aren’t selling well lately. I also think the Mac 11 is killing the Uzi sales too

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
Real ac556s take forever to sell and sell low. I think your better off to buy the real deal

Values on these guns have been going down hill fast I’ve noticed. I got my ss folder in like new condition for $11,250 2 years ago. I see blued folders selling around the $11,000 range. That would be the smarter buy

The burst is most of what i use. It’s not a very controllable gun. Fa is kinda worthless

For a 223 your better to get a Mac 11 and get on the Lage list. $7500 for the Mac and $3,000 for the upper

I wonder if this is why the rugers aren’t selling well lately. I also think the Mac 11 is killing the Uzi sales too

I am inclined to agree. As relatively cheap as the conversion is, I like the idea of a three round burst option.

MACs have never really done it for me. Even Lage can't bring me over. :D

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
If you know someone w one you might want to try it.

The folders are kinda neat but the gun is not very controllable

It’s fun to shoot 1-2x a year.

Last gun I’d take to a gun fight

It’s a range toy

For what it's worth, I paid 9500.00 for my very clean blue K folder about 2yrs ago. I've seen models like mine go for about 11k, with maybe one mag. Your SS is worth more than that.

Said AC556K:

Last edited:

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Prices are down right now. I think Midwest frank has a ss folder for $11-12,000 right now. The ss folders were up to $14,000+ for a while

It’s bargain time on the rugers right now. No shortage of them on the market

Prices are down right now. I think Midwest frank has a ss folder for $11-12,000 right now. The ss folders were up to $14,000+ for a while

It’s bargain time on the rugers right now. No shortage of them on the market

That is true. NFA Sales and DealerNFA have some now, Ruben is selling a folder like mine for $14,995.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
semi auto....good as any gun..

burst..25 yards on a human size target

full auto--shooting birds after 3 shots

im not impressed with a m16 in full auto either...its much better, but still not controllable much beyond 3 shots.....the lage 11/15 looks very controllable in full auto....
try shooting an AK or m14 in full auto....im not sure the 2nd shot even hits at 25 yards.....ive shot both(m14 on a bipod while laying on the ground) and i decided neither will be a purchase for me

the AC556 internals are a bit nutty...its pretty much a shrunk m1 garand/m14....very,very complex trigger group....to the point where you just dont touch it..even have to be careful on disassembly.. i have to look up how to dissemble every time...

if you can get a SS folder for $11-12k in nice shape i think its a bargain and id go for it....or a blued folder for $10-11k.....its still a fun gun....just dont plan on shooting 50-100 yards on full auto w/o a bipod

i think the SS folder looks great and i love its quirky buttons and function.

i prefer subguns as i can actually hit something in full auto at 50 yards

Last edited:

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
semi auto....good as any gun..

burst..25 yards on a human size target

full auto--shooting birds after 3 shots

im not impressed with a m16 in full auto either...its much better, but still not controllable much beyond 3 shots.....the lage 11/15 looks very controllable in full auto....
try shooting an AK or m14 in full auto....im not sure the 2nd shot even hits at 25 yards.....ive shot both(m14 on a bipod while laying on the ground) and i decided neither will be a purchase for me

the AC556 internals are a bit nutty...its pretty much a shrunk m1 garand/m14....very,very complex trigger group....to the point where you just dont touch it..even have to be careful on disassembly.. i have to look up how to dissemble every time...

if you can get a SS folder for $11-12k in nice shape i think its a bargain and id go for it....or a blued folder for $10-11k.....its still a fun gun....just dont plan on shooting 50-100 yards on full auto w/o a bipod

i think the SS folder looks great and i love its quirky buttons and function.

i prefer subguns as i can actually hit something in full auto at 50 yards

Nice write up. Thank you.

I'm an M16 fan but I don't want to shell out $20k+. I was looking at Lightning Links but the ones I can find are damn near what a registered receiver costs. Crazy.

The AC556 seems like an acceptable compromise. My next purchase will probably be my last, at least for a while. I want to be sure that I am going to like whatever is it that I end up buying. That's why I am asking all these (probably dumb) questions. :D

BTW, I have shot an AK on full auto. It's a beast. Never have shot an M14 although I've seen one in action up close.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
I would get a Mac 11, a Lage max31, and a Lage 11/15

Get other uppers as time goes on.

Get 6 guns vs 1 ruger ac556

And probably have a more controllable 223 vs the ruger

AND probably have a gun that goes up in value quicker. Rugers are going down now

If you can swing a $19 colt sp1 I’d go for it

M14 is a beast of a gun. Ive got a few semi 308s. But full auto 308 needs a bipod only. To me that’s not fun shooting. I want to move around a bit and blast at multiple targets. Sitting at a bench with a bipod isn’t my thing.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
BATTERING RAM NIB,
I don't think the recoil / control is that bad BUT I will agree with you to a point.
In my opinion it's between M16 < ak47, with it definitely being more towards the AK. I think the more you shoot it the better you get. For example my brother shot my converted mini 14 for first time and he did a mag dump, let's just say he might have hit a target at 25 yards 5 times out of 20. It was hilarious, GRANTED THIS WAS HIS FIRST TIME EVER SHOOTING A MACHINE GUN.
At the end of the day he was doing great with 90% on target at 25yds. If your worried about recoil get a comp for it.

TheChunkNorris,
Sent me video of his ac556 with the Clyde stock. I beleive it was his first time firing it and he was testing it. It was prolly 10 yards and he did a really good job with it (the stock probably helps with control bc the stock is more inline with the barrel). I would say he would have easily hit a 25 yard target 100% with a mag dump. He might also have a lot of experience shooting higher caliber Machine guns though. If your interested in seeing it PM him and he will prolly send you the same video. All I can say is, I'm getting that Clyde armory stock.

Either way, just one mans opinion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter