Grade I vs.Grade III kit.

Odin

Just read through, with great interest I might add, a THREAD by Bandit over on FAL Files documenting his build up of an Imbel carbine from a Grade III kit supplied by Dan's Sporting Goods. Assuming one was going for a brand spanking new look (by refinishing as Bandit did) on the finished product, would there be any reason at all to spend the extra cash and go for say a Grade I kit of parts, aside from the obvious few extra goodies that Dan supplies as part of the upgrade? HERE is the link to Dan's page of parts kits for those that may not be familiar. Any and all opinions greatly appreciated.

cookie

Founder
I built one from a Grade II kit, and while it needed refinishing, the mechanical wear was minimal. We replaced the barrel with a new bipod cut unit, but the barrel that came with it had a decent bore.

The bayonet you'll receive in a I or II kit can't be used (legally) anyway, and the blank-firing adapter is useless also, as the muzzle brake you'll have to use won't have internal threads.

In my opinion, if you're refinishing anyway, save a few bucks on the kit. Dan is a good guy to deal with.

Odin

Thanks for the response Cookie. I sorta figured that the parts condition would be fairly similar on any of the kits. Bayonet and BFA??? No need for that stuff anyway. Since refinishing is going to be part of the project, better to use the extra $$$ to buy the necessary U.S. parts to build LEGALLY. Dan's kits seem to be the best priced of all the advertisers I have seen so I will likely go this route. TNX Again for UR input!

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Dan is out of all kits. Grades I and II being the first to sell out.

Odin

Yup! Think I spotted a post regarding this also...The good news is that the FOLLOWUP from Dan stated that he would have some more by mid-June. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited:

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
You won't be disappointed, I had a Grade 3 kit refinished by Pa. Patriot (Mod) and it was in very good condition. He is doing a Grade 1 kit for my friend, this kit is in excellent condition.

Odin

Simply as a second opinion....Do you feel that the extra $$$ ($110.00 if memory serves...) spent on your friends Grade I makes it significantly better than your own Grade III built rifle? Remember, refinishing is a given here so all will match.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought the Grade 3 because I know it would be refinished to look like it just came from the factory. If you are refinishing, don't bother with a Grade 1, you can get the whole rifle reparked for $125 to $150.

Odin

Sounds good! The Grade III was really the way I was leaning anyway. This will be my first build attempt so better to save the extra bucks in case I get fed up and have to ship the whole mess to Pa Patriot or ARS to get it right! :D TNX for the input!

Steve

Steve, I've had a lot of grade III kits flow through my shop and I can assure you that the parts are barely used.
The outside of the grade III shows a lot of field use, much of the finish is worn off, maybe a scratch or ding here and there.
The internals, for the most part look as good, or very close to as good as a grade I.
You can see a few rebuilt Grade III Imbels on my site: www.frontlinearmory.com
Oh, and Dan is out of kits, but they can still be found for sale on lots of the boards (the ones people sell off to pay for other projects).

Hope this helps! :cool

Last edited:

cookie

Founder
Odin,

Here's a pic of the Imbel-on-Imbel (Dan's Grade II kit on Imbel GL receiver) that my son and I did. It was refinished with Gun-Kote after the assembly.

pickle_imbel.jpg

I may put it beside my pre-ban SAR-48 and take another photo. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

Odin

Cookie! That is one sharp dressed shootin' iron! :cool VERY nice job! I'd like to see the pic of the SAR and this one together just to enhance my photo archive. I guarantee I'll have a hard time telling them apart! That Imbel is Sweet! :D

PaPatriot:

After looking at the goodies on UR site, Hell I may just let you do the whole shooting match! :D Beautiful stuff there! The Imbel builds are A-1 but that IZZY is KILLER!!! I'll be in touch when I start to secure all the parts and finally decide if this is gonna be a DIY or a Job for the Patriot! :D TNX a Bunch for the info!

Steve

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter