Info on Production Numbers

Hawaiian Human

UZI Talk Supporter
Does anyone out there know how many Ruger AC-556s were ever produced? Or better yet, how many transferable were produced or sold? I couldn't find anything about production numbers in my search on the Internet. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thanks in Advance.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
wont find it...i tried looking....ive called Ruger and asked.....they wont tell you anything........i wanted to know how many Kac556k's were made specifically....

probably a million+....French Police still using them....police depts still trading them in

Hawaiian Human

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Battering for your response. I guess its an unsolved mystery. I wonder if ATF has info on how many are registered as transferables. I read somewhere that they had to respond to an inquiry about how many machine-guns were registered with them under the Freedom of Information Act, but I wonder if that same act requires them to disclose how many of each model is registered with them? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks Battering for your response. I guess its an unsolved mystery. I wonder if ATF has info on how many our registered as transferables. I read somewhere that they had to respond to an inquiry about how many machine-guns were registered with them under the Freedom of Information Act, but I wonder if that same act requires them to disclose how many of each model is registered with them? Just thinking out loud.

its tax information legally speaking, so im not sure how much they can or will give out even with an official request like that

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
Besides, there was no data base back in the 70-80's (when the Ac556's were made) Everything was index cards. And even today, the only thing they can really check against is serial #. There is no way for them to search for all KAC556F's, (or any other description type) since that data was never keyed as a keyword search.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
when i called Ruger i asked if they had record of mine being rebuilt(since it was in such nice shape).....they said they could not give out that info

they wont tell you anything

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
But they will tell you when your AC556 was manufactured. Mine was shipped in Feb of 1984.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
But they will tell you when your AC556 was manufactured. Mine was shipped in Feb of 1984.

send them some $$ and then send you a nice certificate on your gun...i got an actual AC556 manual too.....when i originally asked for a manual w/o the $$ they sent me a Mini-14 manual....the ac556 has specific disassembly...the mini-14 manual is worthless for that specific part

mine is april 1984...84 must have been a popular time to build prisons under Reagan?

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
84 was about the time the "A Team" switched from Colt SP1s to Mini 14s and AC556s. I suspect they popularity went up due to the show. At the time, I did not realize Ruger made a full auto version of the Mini 14 and just thought it was Hollywood make believe.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
A-team used Mini-14's on their show w/ fake machine gun sound effects...i believe there was only 1 episode with a REAL AC556....check out the barrel lengths...they are all mini-14.....BA used a Ingram M6 on season 1

not even sure if the M16's were full auto either....maybe same sound effects....

What kind of gun did the A team use?
In the opening season the A-team use standard weapons of the US Army from the Vietnam War era, Colt 45 pistols, M16 assault rifles, M60 machine gun, M79 grenade launchers, Remington 870 pump action shotguns and Remington 700 sniper rifles. They later replaced the M16s with folding stock Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a+t...=b5ldWNj3KYKRmQGpmLKQDQ#imgrc=GN0oNH0X57mrRM:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/6/62/A_TEam_S1_PILOTGREAS.jpg/500px-A_TEam_S1_PILOTGREAS.jpg

ateamrob

the one episode of the A-Team where they used real AC-556Fs was the episode "Bounty" from season 3 (1984) where they had two AC's mounted in BAs van come out of the front of the grill when Hannibal used a remote. There are a few other episodes where the bad guys used some GB Minis but essentially from Season 2 through season 5 (last season) they used Stainless Steel Ruger Mini 14s with FA sound effects. They had nickel plated Federal Ordnance flash hiders on their barrels too and Season 2 was the only season where they had nickel handguards on the guns and then in season 3 they went with the standard black Ruger hand guards.

Rob

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
The manufacture date and ship date have no relationship. But, the ship date will be later than the manufacture date.

That maybe true, but most manufactures never keep completed products in inventory. They have to report that as an asset, which costs them money !

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
the one episode of the A-Team where they used real AC-556Fs was the episode "Bounty" from season 3 (1984) where they had two AC's mounted in BAs van come out of the front of the grill when Hannibal used a remote. There are a few other episodes where the bad guys used some GB Minis but essentially from Season 2 through season 5 (last season) they used Stainless Steel Ruger Mini 14s with FA sound effects. They had nickel plated Federal Ordnance flash hiders on their barrels too and Season 2 was the only season where they had nickel handguards on the guns and then in season 3 they went with the standard black Ruger hand guards.

Rob

Rob - Good to see that your still here !

MG34_Dan

That maybe true, but most manufactures never keep completed products in inventory. They have to report that as an asset, which costs them money !

Hmm. You did see this previously, didn't you?

Ruger%20Letter%20-%20Sanitized_zpsmnb2rfff.jpg

Please notice the ship date.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter