Is this one of "those" HK MGs?

secondofangle

I'm relatively new to this, but following auctions and listings to get a sense of prices/trends and found this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/931968755

Looks to me like it's one of those few registered receivers (seller stated on the phone that yes, it's a RR) but rather than a DPP, it's got a semi auto shelf/and trigger pack/frame, which means it also must a proprietary sear that is married to the RR. Is that correct?

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
There are actually a lot of RRs with a shelf rather than PP.
There is some sort of unregistered conversion device in the pack.
Either a sear or the pack may have been cut for the shelf.
Regardless, sounds like it is married to the RR.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Your money, your choice, but I would never want to purchase an unmodified semi auto receiver converted with an unregistered sear. As with today, the "maker" of NFA items are not checked by the ATF. The "maker" is supposed to know the regulations andhave modified the receiver properly. The original manufacturer worked out with the BATF&E the configuration of a machinegun and semi auto receivers. Back in the day it was difficult for manufacturers to get the full auto parts from HK for receiver conversion. This is a cop-out IMO. The manufacturers could have machined off the semi shelf, drilled the push pin hole, weld in the push pin ears on the grip housing, and welded up the semi auto notch in the trigger frame. But they didn't bother. Instead they made an improper registered receiver conversion with an unregistered conversion device (auto sear).

The ATF is aware that such conversions exist. The ATF notified the industry in the early 90s not to drill the holes in the semi auto configured Registered Receiver machineguns. There is a catch 22. If the hole is drilled in the push pin location while the unregistered sear exists (the sear is considered a machinegun), then two machineguns exist with only one registration. But if the unregistered conversion sear is destroyed, prior to drilling the front push pin hole, then there is no functional machinegun. I personally would not risk that kind of money on an improperly converted Registered Receiver. But that is just my opinion. Buyer be ware.

Scott

secondofangle

Scott, your take is consistent with what I have read and I was just checking my understanding. I too think this is about the least desirable HK one can own. I'm following the auction to see how high the suckers take it. I'm also astonished at the amateurish descriptions of some of these guns on GB. There was this week a DPP gun listed on GB by sportsmans-ky but not described that way, just as a MG. I called to inquire and the guy seemed to know nothing about the relevant nuances, just kept saying "it's the real deal, it's an original HK MP5 MG from Germany!" And I'm like bro, you better list it as a RR, because at $50k people are going to think they're getting a sear, and BTW, there were no original MP5s imported from Germany as transferables. Funny, though - the listing was removed within a couple of hours.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter