Lage m11/22 kit mag not seating

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
Has anyone had an issue with the 22 mags not seating. I have several M11/9's the mags do not seat in any of them. If I jam them in hard and they latch BUT the 22 Kit will not fire. If I shoot it without locking it onto place it runs until the mag slips in my hand usually get 15 to 20 off before this happens. I know I am going to have to file the mag catch area wider on my mags but it seems odd that all my m11/9's have this same issue.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes.
Had to a) file the mag catch and b) deepen the slot in the magazines. File on the upper edge such that the mag will lock in without being pushed up so hard / far.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Prob just need to file the mag a touch. Or, on my gun all the mags I used were high so I just filed down the catch

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
File/adjust/modify the least expensive part which would be the magazine catch.
Additionally, if you modify the magazines they may not run in another gun should you ever sell the kit and mags.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Listen to Vegas, not me.

My gun was a rush-it-out-the-door late one that was really a mess. Previous owner fired maybe one mag and problably as a semi.

I got the steel mags to fit after replacing the mag catch and still had to file it. The .22 mags wouldn't seat with the kit (unless you forced them beyond rational limits) even though the metal 9mm mags would . So....

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
I took just a little off the mag it works great in all 4 off the m11/9's that I tried it in. The kit runs with about 98% with Remington golden bullet.

panhead5

My mags didn't catch at all so it took them to my mill and moved the slot up .020 in and cut it deeper .I don't know if Lage knows about it or checked any of these before they went out the and it sucks that you have to do that . You can do what you want but the problem is the mags and NOT the catch . If you want to modify the catch how do you know it will work correctly with the other upper you may have ??

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
My mags didn't catch at all so it took them to my mill and moved the slot up .020 in and cut it deeper .I don't know if Lage knows about it or checked any of these before they went out the and it sucks that you have to do that . You can do what you want but the problem is the mags and NOT the catch . If you want to modify the catch how do you know it will work correctly with the other upper you may have ??

It is the quality control of these guns that is the problem, not Richard's quality control. The specs of these guns are all over the place. Like Z-mags the .22lr magazines need to fit all the guns. So if the mag catch pin hole was drilled 0.005" or 0.010" too high in your gun, you feel that is Richard's responsibility to make a product for that? Think about the tolerance of the two rounds. If the bolt catches a 9mm round 0.005" high, as long as the mag doesn't rub the bolt, it will feed. On the other hand 0.005" when talking about .22lr, is quite a bit. Think about how much tolerance 9mm could take compared to .22lr. It is so much easier to take a little material away than to add a little bit. So I would imagine that Richard kept things on the high side so if the magazines didn't fit, it is a simple matter of a few strokes of a file on the mag catch instead of adding 0.005" to the mag catch. It is tough to design anything for Mac style guns. And .22lr is even harder because of the tighter tolerances. My hat is off to Richard for making a .22lr kit at all. The mag catch is a $15 part. If you don't want to modify your catch then modify your mags. At least it is too high. It would be much more problematic if the magazines were too low. YMMV.

Scott

Last edited:

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
It was a simple fix and mine needed the .02 amount removed also. Looking forward to so daylight to burn some ammo today.

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
File/adjust/modify the least expensive part which would be the magazine catch.
Additionally, if you modify the magazines they may not run in another gun should you ever sell the kit and mags.

These kits no longer available the heck with selling. I plan to pass my M11 to my kids one day.

panhead5

I'd like to agree with you Scott but you have to see these mags . Virtually no slot in them for any catch to grab . I compared them to my z mags which have a nice defined crisp groove in them and these don't have that at all . I will wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the quality or lack thereof of build issues with these guns.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I thought the "how to file the catch in the magazines" was in the manual but I see now that it is not. The catch on the mag is in the shape of an inverted chevron. It was designed to be filed. I pulled out 3 different mag catches for my M11. All are different. 1 has a nice sharp ledge and the other 2 are rounded. Different mfgers make different catches.

The most important part of these kits:

1. Load the mags right. It's easy to rim stack the mags.
2. Make sure the barrel is aligned and the extractor is centered in the barrel guide.
3. The plastic feed lips on the mag touch the feed lip guards on the barrel liner.
4. Use good ammo.

CapnMorgan

It is the quality control of these guns that is the problem, not Richard's quality control. The specs of these guns are all over the place. Like Z-mags the .22lr magazines need to fit all the guns. So if the mag catch pin hole was drilled 0.005" or 0.010" too high in your gun, you feel that is Richard's responsibility to make a product for that? Think about the tolerance of the two rounds. If the bolt catches a 9mm round 0.005" high, as long as the mag doesn't rub the bolt, it will feed. On the other hand 0.005" when talking about .22lr, is quite a bit. Think about how much tolerance 9mm could take compared to .22lr. It is so much easier to take a little material away than to add a little bit. So I would imagine that Richard kept things on the high side so if the magazines didn't fit, it is a simple matter of a few strokes of a file on the mag catch instead of adding 0.005" to the mag catch. It is tough to design anything for Mac style guns. And .22lr is even harder because of the tighter tolerances. My hat is off to Richard for making a .22lr kit at all. The mag catch is a $15 part. If you don't want to modify your catch then modify your mags. At least it is too high. It would be much more problematic if the magazines were too low. YMMV.

Scott

It's the mags, My older lage 22 magazines work just fine, the ones that came with my new conversion won't seat. I raised the catch notch .020 and they work like the older ones. I bought every mag I own for the kit directly from lage, not used.

panhead5

I just hope they know about it . I was going to drop them a line or call but I just attempted to solve the problem myself and they are absolutely fantastic people to deal with .

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
The proprietary magazines for the Lage .22 conversion kit are manufactured For Richard by Black Dog Machine in the great state of Idaho. http://blackdogmachinellc.net/

I haven’t compared the latest .22 magazines from my two new Lage kits received this month versus my older magazines. It’s entirely possible Black Dog somehow changed the magazines ever so slightly without Richard’s knowledge. The Zmags from Shockwave technologies have grown larger over time resulting in an overly tight magwell fit and won’t fit some guns. Sometimes tiny mistakes happen during manufacturing and they aren’t caught until the consumer has them in their possession.

scottMO

The proprietary magazines for the Lage .22 conversion kit are manufactured For Richard by Black Dog Machine in the great state of Idaho. http://blackdogmachinellc.net/

I haven’t compared the latest .22 magazines from my two new Lage kits received this month versus my older magazines. It’s entirely possible Black Dog somehow changed the magazines ever so slightly without Richard’s knowledge. The Zmags from Shockwave technologies have grown larger over time resulting in an overly tight magwell fit and won’t fit some guns. Sometimes tiny mistakes happen during manufacturing and they aren’t caught until the consumer has them in their possession.

Anyone have pics? I have one old mag and 7 new ones and they all look the same. My mac is not in hand to physically test them out but am curious abt the way they look....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter