M10/9 magazine questions

lngram m10 9mm powder springs double feed double stack 9mm with ftf mags

with blazer 115 brass or winchester 115 steel case they 8 run 100 percent . l did take them apart file clean silicone before use . they are not as well built as mp 9mm

challenger70rt

Are the 10/9 magazines your referring to the RPB ones FTF Industries sells? They’re like $60ish? If so, I have about a dozen of em and will say I think they’re the finest repop ever made. They fit and feed EXACTLY like the original Walther mags. I bought a few just to to try em and was sooo impressed I went back n bought 8 more.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
Are the 10/9 magazines your referring to the RPB ones FTF Industries sells? They’re like $60ish? If so, I have about a dozen of em and will say I think they’re the finest repop ever made. They fit and feed EXACTLY like the original Walther mags. I bought a few just to to try em and was sooo impressed I went back n bought 8 more.

That wasn't my experience with the ftf m10/9 mags. They took a little bit of work to make them reliable. The insides of the mags had what appeared to be like a parkerization over-spray coating just enough to prevent loading to capacity and reliable feeding. I took a wide fine flat file and gently cleaned and polished the mags insides until they were smooth as glass.
At that point they ran reliably but none of them ever loaded as easily or ran as smooth as the Walther mags.
They DO serve the purpose of being available if a person cannot access the Walther mags.

challenger70rt

Hmm.. that’s a little surprising to me. I’ve only used 8/12 that I’ve bought so far, but all of those had been great. None of mine had any problems, or required any tinkering. I was actually really surprised at how nice they were straight out of the box.

timkel

I had to do some deburirng in the feed lip area on each mag. But I don't mind at all. The mags fit properly and are very reliable. I don't have any Walther mags to compare as far as ease of loading.

Erevis

I've given up on the RPB magazines. I've owned 4. After the first set wouldn't seat and lock up, I returned them. Later, I bought two more believing that it was just a bad batch. Same issue. If I get them to seat, they bind on the bolt.

I know that MACs had a certain degree of variation in tolerances, but it seems odd that my original Walther mags lock up perfectly while RPB do not. My MAC is a RPB/PS double stamp M10/9mm, and one of my Walther mags did not come with the MAC. It was purchased from an member here.

At this point, I have decided just to have it uzi converted.

Last edited:

llamasabound

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve found it to be upper and bolt dependent as well. New upper and CNC bolt? Have to file the mag catch to fit. Original cast bolt? New RPBs lock and feed perfectly. My Max 10mk2 also needed the catch adjusted. At this point I have half my M10 magazines filed, half not, and just keep them separated by what bolt they work with.

I probably should just have two different height mag catches at the ready and stop filing magazines. Based on many used magazines I’ve bought, I’m not the only one with this solution.

Last edited:

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
RPB/FTF and aftermarket magazines may need modification.

When we were selling the RPB M-10/9 magazines, we would get a batch that would have incorrectly formed mag' catch notches. We modified every one before we sold them. In that past couple years, they are all formed incorrectly.

We have added a section on our FAQ on our website to explain what needs to be done.

Here is a link:

Link to FAQ

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
Here is the FAQ

My bolt is hitting my M-10/9 mag's. What do I do?

Aftermarket double feed magazines for the M-10/9 may have their magazine catches malformed resulting in two notches instead of one.

This results in the magazine sitting higher and interfering with the bolt traveling over them when stripping a round.

You can test the fit of your magazines by inserting an unloaded magazine in your gun with the bolt forward. If the magazine locks in, then it may be the correct height.

Cock the bolt back and observe the distance between the feed lips of the magazine and the clearance cuts in the bolt. The bolt should just clear the feed lips without rubbing. A .030" gap is permissable, but the closer the feed lips are to the bolt, the better performance you can expect.

Next, cock the bolt back until it is held by the sear. Try to insert the magazine further, then tug down on it to make sure it is seated. While holding the bolt charging handle, pull the trigger and release the bolt, slowly easing it forward. While doing this, carefully observe the path of the bolt relative to the magazine feed lips. If the bolt collides with the feed lips or back of the magazine, then the bolt is now sitting too high. This is a result of two magazine catch notches inadvertantly being formed in the magaizne during the manufacturing process.

The photos below show an OEM style magazine on the left and two aftermarket magazines to its right. You will notice that on the OEM style magazine, there is a raised rib along the back edge that is spot welded. Also, the magazine catch is cut square.

The aftermarket magazines have a tab that is bent upwards to provide a ledge for the magazine catch. On the aftermarket magazine on the far right, you will notice that the folded edges do not line up and cause a secondary ledge or catch. This feature is what can cause the magazine to sit higher than it should.

M109MagJPG1.jpg

In the photos below, you can clearly see the magazine catch defect on the magazine on the far right.

M109MagJPG2.jpg

This can be remedied by removing the lower notch using a Dremel Tool with a cut-off wheel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter