M11/Nine Cracked Sight Plate?

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I am planning on looking at SWD M11/Nine this weekend. However, after taking a closer look at the photos, it appears to me that the sight plate might be cracked. The photos aren't the best, but these are the only ones I have. If the plate is cracked, I might be in a position to negotiate a better price, or perhaps have the seller agree to send if off to Sam for repairs while waiting on the transfer. Any help or suggestions with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• sight plate broken 2.jpg
    sight plate broken 2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 310
  • sight plate 3.jpg
    sight plate 3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 314

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Sam could fix this, but maybe I should pass on this one. What do you think?

Fishman

If you can get it for $1000 less, id do it. I just payed way under market price for my m10 because it jams like crazy. I'm positive I can get it running.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I’d ask Sam for a guestimate on the price with complete refinish of the upper and lower. Armed with that infomaton, go have a look. Is it actually cracked or is its the photos? Hard to say. If there’s damage, use that as a point of price negotiation. If it doesn’t make sense, walk away, but only if the price point is too high. The repair isn’t a big deal. It’s just sheet metal.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Sam looked at the photos and thinks the plate looks broken. I asked him to give me a guestimate. The price is already high on this M11/9 - $8K for just the gun without any accessories. Thanks for the advice!

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I agree that in the first photo it *looks* like the back plate welds are cracked and separated, but pictures can be deceiving. Why not go and take a look to be sure? 8k for a decent gun with a nice complte package including mags, stocks, uppers, etc. certainly isn’t out of line. I can see the M-11/9 hitting 10k in two years.

Edited to add; I see that’s 8k just for the gun. I’d still have a look and see how firm he is. Sometimes a face to face meeting can yield huge benefits. You’ve got nothing to lose but time.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I would not pay $8k for that gun without accessories and with the broken welds on the back plate. But if it was me I would go look at it. A buyer face to face with available funds is hard to turn down. If you are there and interested, he might either lower the price or throw in accessories that make the deal acceptable to you. If the deal is right, buy it. The welds are fixable. Heck everything but the serial number is repairable on a MAC.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
So, I decided to contact the seller about the possible damage. He confirmed that the sight plate had indeed been damaged, and that the photos were old; taken before the repairs. Now, I need to find out who made the repairs. Hopefully, it was Sam.

har1340

I bought my Cobray M-11 around 2004 for $2600 and it looked brand new. After I took transfer of it I went shooting and the same thing happened to it. I mean like after 50 rounds. Called my C-3 dealer and they took it in welded it and reparked to match from 86' timeframe and now have shot thousands of 9mm and .22lr with zero issues. No way of telling.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks to everyone that replied and offered suggestions. I really appreciate it! At this point, it looks like Sam did all the repairs on this gun; just waiting on a confirmation. If Sam did the work, then I can be confident that everything was repaired correctly and that it should be good to go. Given that, I am going to look at the gun, and hopefully work out and deal with the seller. If not, I'll keep looking.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
my uzi cracked there(poor welding from the factory)....id pass on the gun...

not a rare gun, get another...

if you take it get a discount

Last edited:

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I was, but with the Tenko 11/16 coming and increasing value of the SWD M11/9, I thought it might be a better buy. Also, I will not have to part with my other MG's to fund the purchase.

Garrett

I bought one that had failed and been welded up by a previous owner (I drilled the hole). It’s held up fine ever since.

But I’d definitely use it to negotiate on the price.

8DTZB3Zh.jpg

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Well, I went to look at the M11/9 today. Seller is firm on $8K for the gun only; no accessories. Below is a photo of the sight plate (I can post more later). Perhaps I'm incorrect, but to me it looks like the existing plate was just re-welded. You can see lots of bubbles in the welds, too. As I understand it, the correct way to repair this kind of damage is to cut out the existing sight plate and weld a new one in it's place. I was able to confirm that Sam was NOT the gunsmith that worked on this M11/9. Comments and advice are appreciated as usual.

Attachments

• M11.2.jpg
    M11.2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 111

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Why would you want it rewelded on 3 sides vs 2. The same repair was done on my Uzi. Just rewelded the 2 sides. Value is dimished. Full price ? Don’t be his sucker

find another for $8 next week or tomorrow?

Paying full price for something w flaws ?

There are probably 200 of these for sale a year. Grab another.

I think you can find better for cheaper

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12785-cobray-swd-m11-9mm-sub-gun-8000/

https://machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=2196--1ea50ea4-4b96-4044-a8b0-f47f6f63ae2f

https://machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=1421--253583ae-4cef-4f93-9048-aa636029c30d

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter