MAC M10 issues

AK74U

Your initial issue was the bolt not going forward w the SF mags.
Using df mags, the bolt goes forward but doesn’t strip a bullet

I’d say you’re sf bolt isn’t stripping the cartridge from your DF mag bc the bolt area is sliding by the cartridge.

Modified gg mags will have a noticeable
zipped area on The back, and both sides on the over-insertion tabs.

If those are the 45 mags that work, then you mag catch is holding your SF 9m mags too high.

If you are using unmodified gg mags (no dremmel looking zips), that mag catch sits the 9mm mags too low.

The Lage thumb grip adapter - does it come w a two stage adapter? Even so, it’s not a 9mm mag catch

You need a 9mm mag catch. It’s different.

The magwell adapter isn’t your issue. It just takes up space inside the magwell. Certainly it can be adjusted wrong, but that’s not the issue you’ve outlined

I checked Lage site, this is what came with the grip: Includes 2-piece molded grip, magazine release lever, spring, connecting link with thumb release and detailed installation instructions.

AK74U

Here is the link to a video of me shooting the MAC M10.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tdtZI8ZXsnk?feature=share

I went yesterday to the LGS because I went to try it with the 9mm upper a weekend ago, wanted to also fire the .45 upper to see if the cleaning the gunsmith did erased my problem. Only to have another problem. I couldn't pull the charging handle back. I don't know if the gunsmith lost a piece, but when I put the recoil plate on the counter and pull on the handle the bolt goes back. But not inside the lower reciever. I don't know if the extractor rod needs replacing as sometimes slips out of the channel when inserting into the lower reciever.
https://i.postimg.cc/pV3jxcq0/20210720-122204.jpg
[url]https://i.postimg.cc/3wr49sxw/20210720-122207.jpg[/url]
https://i.postimg.cc/KY9KW01D/20210720-122211.jpg

LawBob

If you were able to install the upper, then the ejector (the rod) is within the bolt.

Did you by chance have the safety on?

The Mac won’t cycle back w the safety on and can get stuck.

FYI: you cock the Mac then engage the safety.

LawBob

Also, you might take the ejector rod off and roll it on a
Table Top to see if it’s bent (it will wobble if so). But I don’t think that’s your issue.

My guess is you inadvertently had the safety on and that (can) makes it difficult to cock. Depends on high right your tolerances are. My m11a1 will cock w safety on but then it’s stuck like chuck. Have to take apart to reset it. I don’t recall but I think my m10 has tension if safety is on and won’t go all the way back.

Note: To help you remember, the extractor extracts the casing from the barrel (from in battery), the ejector ejects the casing out.

The trip resets the sear. The sear releases the bolt to fire, and the trigger actuated the sear (while the trip is in full auto it is inactive, while in semi, it disengages the trigger from the sear).

Last edited:

AK74U

I didn't think about the safety being on. When I say that its STIFF to pull the bolt back, it was stiff. Im off this Friday so I will attempt again checking the safety. I will order the 9mm mag catch next week on pay day.

LawBob

I just double checked my m10 max10/45 mk2

When safety is on, as you pull it back once it tries to clear the sear it stops. About 3/4”
Short of going back

Now remember these aren’t precision manufactured guns. Your tolerances may be a bit tighter.

And I am using a mk2 not a factory upper which might be a little
More forgiving

But, it won’t go back all the way on safe. I just wanted to confirm my recollection.

I have a thread on here from a few months ago and I couldn’t get the trigger to depress - the gun had been cocked with the safety on and the bolt was locked back (m11a1). I had to punch the takedown pin out and voila all was better.

Remember, the safety is just keeping the sear from “lowering” - which allows the bolt to go forward.

If the safety is on, the bolt is having to clear the sear in reverse - and the safety holding the sear up is in contention.

Last edited:

AK74U

I tried yesterday to cock it back, the safety was not on. It it's stuck on fire snd the safety would not move. Stuck like concrete. Will try to take the gun apart and put it back together another day.

Galil#1

Lots of great information here, but bottom line if you can't get it 100% working, send it to Sam/Practical Solutions. Sam will make it run like a Rolex.

LawBob

I mean if he’s in DFW I’ll go with him to check it out. Maybe someone in his town could assist.

AK74U

Im in Georgia. Metro Atlanta area. I don't understand if the gun was already with Sam prior to its arrival. Why am I having so many problems?

late reply

Here is the link to a video of me shooting the MAC M10.

https://youtube.com/shorts/tdtZI8ZXsnk?feature=share

This looks like uncommanded sear reset, which with the bolt dragging assuming the holes aren't all jacked up is probably either disconnector (less likely) or safety (more likely). In your video I see the selector move a little when firing, this can happen but if it's too worn or loose then the momentum getting thrown around could result in the sear stopping the bolt.

The disconnector is E in pink in the picture below. This is an M11, but it works the same way.

fcg1.jpg

The disconnector could be rubbing, a part could be out of spec/broken, or a hole out of position. For now I'd do a simple visual examination, then manually test the function of each part, and if you still can't get it to work you can take the FCG apart completely.

With the bolt forward and the cocking knob twisted the bolt should be locked forward and not able to move much at all.

I put some function tests below. Bolt, Switch, Bolt Knob, Safety, and Trigger are start conditions so they all need to be correct at the same time for the test to be valid. Before trying them take your M10 apart and make sure there is no ammo caught in the back of the frame which could dance up into the chamber. It sounds absurd but I promise it's not.

Code:
No | Bolt   | Switch | Bolt Knob | Safety | Trigger  | Notes                                  
 1 | closed | any    | locked    | any    | any      | bolt should not be able to move, and should not affect the FCG
 2 | closed | full   | unlocked  | fire   | released | bolt should move sprung but not dragging and lock back once past the sear
 3 | closed | full   | unlocked  | fire   | held     | run bolt HARD 20+ times quick - should not ever be caught by sear or dragged
 4 | closed | semi   | any       | fire   | held     | move switch between FULL and SEMI, should not do anything and be no resistance
 5 | closed | semi   | unlocked  | fire   | held     | pull bolt back, bolt should lock back until trigger released and pulled again
 6 | open   | semi   | unlocked  | fire   | held     | bolt should go forward and then behave same as test #4
 7 | open   | any    | unlocked  | safe   | released | pull trigger, bolt should not move
 8 | closed | any    | unlocked  | safe   | any      | bolt should be able to move but not enough to pick up a round or lock back
 9 | closed | full   | any       | fire   | held     | move switch counterclockwise, should trip after ~45° (1/8 rotation)
10 | closed | full   | any       | fire   | held     | move switch clockwise, should trip after ~135° (3/8 rotation)
11 | closed | full   | any       | fire   | held     | you should not be able to engage the safety while the trigger is held
12 | closed | semi   | any       | fire   | held     | you should not be able to engage the safety while the trigger is held

None of these involve the magazine which naturally is the most failure prone point in an autoloading firearm. I'm sure someone will be by shortly to call me an imbecile but if your mac fails one or more of these tests then the problem may be with a cheap(ish) part rather than the frame.

Last edited:

AK74U

I went to the LGS this morning and I fixed my problem with the bolt not going back. I took the sear & trip out and reinstalled them. Maybe the trip wasn't installed correctly by the gunsmith. I didnt have a chance to function test. That will be another day. When the safety is on an I pull the bolt back it gets stuck and is hard to get unstuck. When safety is off, flawless operation. I can't wait to see if I can do a mag dump. Thanks for the help and support.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter