Making a 50BMG reloading press

suka5168

UZI Talk Life Member
I've been floating the idea of making a 50BMG reloading press. Buying an off the self press is "JUST NO FUN". Now I've been racking my brain lately and losing lots of sleep, coming up with a press design.
In order to obtain perfect alighment, it will be milled at a CNC shop.
It will need to handle 1-1/4 Lee dies, 7/8 ram prime and maybe swage bullets in the future.
Any suggestions?

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
Buy an already made one from Midway?

But on the other hand if you're just in a creative mood, go for it! The only advice I can give you, you already have.....Make it stronger than hell and aligned 100% correct.

Jim

suka5168

UZI Talk Life Member
Got me some parts from Midway and other sources: Lee dies, RCBS ram prime, Hornady shell adaptors, CH4D primer swager, bunch of taps and dies of eGay.

JJ with your free lead post, I thought about swaging, so I blame the bug on YOU. :hit

csp-2web.jpg

Last edited:

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
Let us know how the swaged rounds shoot when you get that far. I've never heard of anyone shooting 50BMG lead bullets before. That would sure lessen the cost of shooting that round even though you have to use gas checks.

Jim

panaceabeachbum

technicaly any body shooting a lead core jacketed bullet is shooting a swaged bullet, accuracy can be great

Corbin has some 50 cal swaging dies that use copper tubing for the jacket, The unjacketed lead swaged bullets are limited to a velocity of 800 fps or so , and about twice that fast with a gas check,

I have a 550 gr 50 mold for gas check bullets, I have fired a number of them out of my bolt 50 with very good results at aprox 1400fps

suka5168

UZI Talk Life Member
The 50 jacket making die alone from Corbins is about a little less than $500. Then I'd need the swage die and point making die. Unless I go into bullet production it is quite an investment.

The press will mainly be for reloading.

The debate now is to use all steel to make the press or to use aluminium for certain parts. (the lower pivot stroke arm).

cpermd

UZI Talk Supporter
I would go for the 1.5" diameter dies.
That way you can use the much more common dies and accessories.

CP

jmorris

The 50 jacket making die alone from Corbins is about a little less than $500. Then I'd need the swage die and point making die. Unless I go into bullet production it is quite an investment.

If you get free time on a CNC to build your press why not build dies as well? On the other hand if you have to pay for programming and CNC time your press is going to be very expensive unless you plan to build and sell a lot of them to offset the costs.

echo3mike

Building a single stage press should'nt be that hard. One Marine who worked in my shop a few years before i got here did it. He didn't have cnc equitment. With cnc you should be able to use a CAD program to draft it out and the upload it straight to the computer. I know when I was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the instructors would make "stupid-complex" parts with CAD and then cut it out with CNC. It is possible to hit a tolerence of .0002 with a CNC machine. The HAAS Tool Room series can get it. What type of machine are you using?

JaXXas

UZI Talk Supporter
I don' t know much about making a press, but from the alignment point of view, maybe less could be more and easier? One of my presses is the Forster Co-ax press and they make a big deal about 'floating' alignment. I'll leave that for discussion among those more knowledgeable than I, but the Co-Ax is one hell of a press, with incredible leverage. (No, I don't work for them!)

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24822&catid=19938

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter