Max 11-22, OOB, questions

rockman96

I was shooting my Max11-22 kit yesterday, trying several different ammo brands. Here is what I found:
a) Remington Golden Bullets perform very well. (Duh, lol). I went through a brick in fairly short order. :D
b) Federal bulk (Walmart type) functions pretty good, except there will be 2 to 3 runaways every time you release the trigger. Annoying.
c) Winchester Dyna-points don't work well with this set up at all. I had a OOB half way through first mag and I immediately ceased using it.

I *think* I had an OOB with the GB's too, but the case held together and it kept running....I found the casing after I was done shooting. There's a pic of the GB and the Win DP casings attached.

Questions:
1) I have a bunch of the Fed bulk, and I would like to use it....I also have a reduced tension recoil spring that I got from Lage (I haven't tried it yet). This should stop the runaways, right?
2) Will using the reduced tension spring cause any issues if I also shoot Rem GB's with the weaker spring? In other words, it won't cause any damage from the bolt recoiling harder will it?
3) Will a lighter spring be more apt to induce OOB's?

IMG_20111027_201307-1.jpg
[/IMG]

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
1) I have a bunch of the Fed bulk, and I would like to use it....I also have a reduced tension recoil spring that I got from Lage (I haven't tried it yet). This should stop the runaways, right?

It did when I installed it.

2) Will using the reduced tension spring cause any issues if I also shoot Rem GB's with the weaker spring? In other words, it won't cause any damage from the bolt recoiling harder will it?

I doubt it. Many people are using the reduced power spring and Richard would not offer it if had the potential of causing damage.

3) Will a lighter spring be more apt to induce OOB's?

I would think light strikes would be more common.

rockman96

Thanks...I'm going to give it a try. I got the spring thinking I might try to get it to run with subsonics.

cultist

Banned
GB's also work well for me.

CCI standard velocity works well suppressed.

Winchester Dynapoints run well, and i like the idea of being copper plated. But I had my first major OOB yesterday with them. No damage at all.

Since OOB's are a possibility with ANY OB subgun, I'll keep playing with the Dynapoints.

I concur with medphys answers to your Q's.

rockman96

GB's also work well for me.

CCI standard velocity works well suppressed.

Winchester Dynapoints run well, and i like the idea of being copper plated. But I had my first major OOB yesterday with them. No damage at all.

Since OOB's are a possibility with ANY OB subgun, I'll keep playing with the Dynapoints.

I concur with medphys answers to your Q's.

I agree, it's not so much a matter of 'if' as it is 'when'.....even so, I'm done with the Dynapoints. That happened half way thru the first mag and ruptured. The other casing in the pic is a Rem GB, but at least it didn't rupture. I didn't know the GB had OOB'd until I was finished shooting and found it laying there. I knew instantly when the Dynapoint OOB'd (it popped in a cloud of smoke and stopped dead in it's tracks), and my first thought was I had trashed the mag and stuck one in the barrel (it was ok though).

ETA: I bet the CCI SV sounds great suppressed! I want to make this thing run on subs, or at least the SV....I wish someone made a coated SV or sub round.

fishtix

I get so many OOB's that I was wondering if it is possible that when bolt loads another round the strike from the extractor prior to chambering the round sets it off... Just a thought

rockman96

I hadn't thought of that. If that IS part of what's going on, maybe a little creative re-shaping of the extractor's leading edge would help out(?). What ammo are you shooting, and are you getting any ruptured cases? Do you ever have a mag damaged from it?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Not a commentary on the MAX11-22, but on .22 LR rimfire ammo in general.

If you take five different brands of .22 LR ammo and measure each one with a micrometer and then examine the projectiles with a high power magnifying glass or other optic, you'll note that each one's projectile physical shape and length is slightly different. I'm here to tell you when it comes to anything in full auto .22 rimfire, the choice of bullet matters... a LOT.

Unless you want to be frustrated, find what works well in your gun and stay with it.

fishtix

I hadn't thought of that. If that IS part of what's going on, maybe a little creative re-shaping of the extractor's leading edge would help out(?). What ammo are you shooting, and are you getting any ruptured cases? Do you ever have a mag damaged from it?

Primarily with RGB, but have had it with others less frequently. RGB never fails to OOB. Tried Blazer today, and we have a winner. CCI SV is rockstar with a can but is a little more costly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter