My SNIPER RIFLE (Excuse the Political Incorrectness)

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
Ever buy something that you didnt need just cuz you wanted it?

Bought a Remington PSS rifle, NIB, in 300 Winchester Magnum...did i need a Magnum?...No, hell i didnt even need the RIFLE!!!

Bought a $900 Leupold 8.5x-25x Scope. It has 30 mm tube, 50 mm objective, target knobs, mil dot reticle. This dang thing should be in a Museum, art in its finest form...

A bit under a $100 for a Harris Bipod...

$150 for a Pelican case...darn thing is heavy, but strong like a safe...

Gunsmith friend of mine that was really into benchrest several years ago mounted the scope...

Did a pretty extensive barrel break in...alot of thoughts on this..some people think its a waste of time, other swear by it. After doing i swear at it..pain in the rear...

Off to the range...Sighted in at 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards...Off sandbags it put five rounds in a bit under three inches...at a honest 390 yards!! Not world class but a hell of alot better than i ever did with other rifles...

Recoil not really bad, more of a push than a kick...shoulder a bit sore after about 40 rounds through....concussion from shot really worse than the recoil, at least wifey complained about it....

Like i said, i have no use for this rifle, its just FUN...plus its so politically incorrect how can you not like it? "tactical black", evil looking and serves, at least in my hands, no logical purpose..what more could i ask for????

:bounce2

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
The Remington 700 Police...

rifles are awesome right out of the box. I currently have a .308 Remington 700LTRS(DM) that will shoot one hole, 3rd groups @ 100m. Cold shots or a fully warmed bbl... NO difference! Here's a thread I got into at the Stoner Board (lol)... NOT what you think! :)

http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=3118

700bty.jpg

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/rifle.htm

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm with you on the Politically Incorrect & "Unnecessary"...
135m4a1hook.jpg

...sooo quiet*, the Javelina don't know what hit 'em! Z06:uzi
*when used with the Engel Ballistic Subsonic Match ammo

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
The trouble is with scopes like that is that it's not the real thing, it's the civilian model. The US govt restricts night vision sales to civilians. So the 3rd gen scopes and night vision like the PVS-14, has a 40% reduction in its night vision ability compared to the ones issued to the US military.

So technically you're not getting anything really special for the money you spend.

stymie

The included spec sheet on the NVD...

dustindu4...

...tells you all that you need to know. ITT & LITTON are the two primary suppliers of mcps & any 3rd generation tubes... either in 18mm or 25mm ...from 45lp/mm-64lp/mm resolution ...are truly outstanding. There are commercial & mil-spec grades as well.

I have a NAIT(ITT) VIPER/ELCAN 3x weaponsight on my COLT M-16A1 carbine. It has variable aperture, anti-blooming & is so clear that you can count the hairs on someone's hand & read the sweep second hand of their watch with only starlight ...or infra-red assist for absolute pitch black scenarios. It can focus from 3' to infinity.

"OWN the night!"

:)

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
I think the last month's issue of popular science did a thing on NVGs and that's what they said. Something to do with enemies buying the stuff here and shipping it there and the US losing their battlefield advantage.

stymie

SGN has a short treatise on NVDs...

in the July 20th edition (subscription issue). It's kinda basic... but interesting reading!

Soooooo....
dustindu4... how do LIKE your new 200m *sniper* weapon? ;)

I was totally pumped up when I took delivery... still am as a matter of fact!

It must be the real thing... lol

Give DJ a thorough wringing out... uh, huh!!!!!!!!! :)

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
So now that i have this new toy (see first post in this tread), its time for the the fun chore of cleaning it...no skimping here...i buy and assemble the tools...Sweet's 7.62 (do they make a Sweet's 5.56 in case i buy a .223?), Hoppe's Number Nine, Remington Gun Oil, WD 40 and a power drill...just bought a new cleaning rod at wal mart for $3, damn those things are expensive.

Dunk the brush (Wal mart out of .30 cal so i bought a .45 brush..want to clean it good) in Hoppes after screwing it on the cleaning rod...break end of cleaning rod off so it fits in the drill, tighten the chuck read good.

Spray a bit of WD 40 down the barrel, have to force that .45 brush in, its a tight fit, then crank on the drill...Gun spins around and slaps the scope on the bench table legs..oh well, these Leupolds supposed to stand up to anything.

Finally get the drill up to speed, ream it up and down maybe a dozen times, on hi speed, damn that WD 40 smokes, I just know it getting all that dirt out. Repeat process with cleaning patches till they come out spotless...

Damn did that come out shiny....bore is so beautiful. Quick question,all i see is grooves,no lands...is that normal? Gee, I bet my velocity increases 37 1/2 percent!!!! No lands to slow this bullet down!!!

Can't wait to go to the range now!!!!

OKAY...i didnt really clean it this way...but god i hate this part..Rifle a blast to shoot...thinking about cleaning a rifle this way made me smile. An old drill instructor used to clean his M 16 barrel with a drill...came out shiny!!!

What process do u use to clean your favorite baby?

stymie

Make friends with the owner of an ultra-sonic cleaner...

LVHospiceRN...

Get the IMI chrome-lined barrels... they're a snap to clean & NEVER wear out!

stymie

Um, well... ya got me there...

"What process do u use to clean your favorite baby?"
.....LVHospiceRN

My fave babe= Vector HR4332 *...actually, Veronica Zemanova; but that's another story! ;)

I wouldn't want to insert my RoTo-RoOtEr ™... in either ...um, you know? I'd BE "gentle"... really! :)

D'oh... what I meant to say was... I use a chrome lined IMI bbl in MY fave babe... um, that didn't turn out too well... either... did it?

...um, nevermind

GOOD GRIEF!!!

PS: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" ...kinda, sorta, maybe

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
On a more serious (?) note, my cleaning procedure for My Remmy PSS 300 Win Mag is:

Run a soaked patch of Sweets 7.62 through the barrel and let it set 1-2 minutes...

Follow with clean dry patches till they come out mostly clean. Run a saturated patch of Copper Remover through the barrel, let it set a 1-2 minutes then repeat clear patches till dry and clean.

Run a slightly damp patch of Remington oil through the barrel...

Done! of course i didnt mention I use a Dewey Coated Cleaning Rod and bore guide to keep any damage to the barrel from occuring...that goes unsaid dont it??

Stymie: Send me your supplier for Remington 300 Chrome Lined barrels, danged if no one has them around here...:bounce5

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter