New Here, First Galil Clone

D30gaijin

Hello all. Newbie here that received my first Galil clone yesterday. No way I can afford nor really want an original IMI ARM. I'm a shooter not a collector. My three AK's are American made and that's fine with me. They are very well made and run perfectly.

With regards to my new Galil clone it is a JRA Gallant from Classic Firearms. Based on some reviews I have read about the JRA I reckon I got lucky because fit and overall finish of mine is outstanding. I have not shot it yet but that will come soon enough.

I will be searching for a suitable scope mount and an original Galil pistol grip so any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• Galil3.jpg
    Galil3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 322

Deerhurst

Might be able to source a grip from a place like Apex or Numrich.

I have no experience with an optics mount.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
Original pistol grips are going to be pretty scratched up and those are the better ones. I bought the ATI Arm a couple years ago and I sanded the grip and painted it
flat black. Scope mount is going to be tough but not impossible, Ebay, Gunbroker and maybe an airsoft version that will probably made of metal.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Welcome! I have a Golani, and it's a fun gun. Galils are awesome

Pavia

You want a scratched up grip. Those marks are 50 years of successful Israeli military history. :beer

glock19

I ordered my used grip from apex,it was supposed to be refinished but didn't look like it to me,had alot of scratches so I bead blasted it and it came out ok.

fortyfive1911a1

Classic has mounts. Usually in stock.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/gal...for-all-weaver-picatinny-scope-rings-gsm1913/

As far as finishes, I believe JRA is selling re-finished and battle worn/original finishes. I’ve only seen the battle worn version in person. It’s pretty damn cool. Looks like yours is the fully re-finished version. Also cool. These are awesome rifles.

Make sure to clean out the bore and chamber well before shooting. The one I played with had a gunked up chamber. Ran perfectly after cleaned out.

Last edited:

D30gaijin

Classic has mounts. Usually in stock.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/gal...for-all-weaver-picatinny-scope-rings-gsm1913/

As far as finishes, I believe JRA is selling re-finished and battle worn/original finishes. I’ve only seen the battle worn version in person. It’s pretty damn cool. Looks like yours is the fully re-finished version. Also cool. These are awesome rifles.

Make sure to clean out the bore and chamber well before shooting. The one I played with had a gunked up chamber. Ran perfectly after cleaned out.

1911a1,

Thank you for the tip. I still haven't shot it yet but hope to this week.

Thank you for the scope mount link. Unfortunately there is no way to add it to a cart, which might mean they are out of stock.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
1911a1,

Thank you for the tip. I still haven't shot it yet but hope to this week.

Thank you for the scope mount link. Unfortunately there is no way to add it to a cart, which might mean they are out of stock.

Site says Out of Stock

Pavia

How does a Galil scope Mount attach? Does it wedge in that cut?

dubagel

The scope mount has 2 types, a screw knob (Action Arms type) or a throw lever (military type). The mount slides into the cut out and has a taper in the edge. As you screw the knob or flip the throw lever, it pushes against the receiver and pushes the scope mount plate away from the receiver and against the tapered cut out edges. Two things to know about the Galil scope mounts. The first is that it’s not a great design and people have been known to over tighten the knob and damage the receiver, like literally drilling a hole into the receiver. And secondly, the Galil scope mounts do not put the scope over the center of the barrel/bore axis.

D30gaijin

Wow. Anyone here gone in search of funky Tapco Galil magazines lately? They are like nowhere to be found. I did find a Galil grip and screw at Numrich that will hopefully be here next week.

Thank you to all for your suggestions.

Deerhurst

Wow. Anyone here gone in search of funky Tapco Galil magazines lately? They are like nowhere to be found. I did find a Galil grip and screw at Numrich that will hopefully be here next week.

Thank you to all for your suggestions.

I believe tapco is no longer. It was killed before the Remington sell off.

boscoman

UZI Talk Life Member
Tapco is gone sad to say. The Tapco Galil mags were excellent. I have found some on GunBroker & used to be able to find on Ebay. It appears that Ebay has instituted a policy of mags can't be sold on the sight anymore if they carry more than 10 rounds. Jeez.

D30gaijin

Gekishibu,

Have you ever done any business with Optics and Ammo? I ask because I too found their web site the other day and the Tapco magazines. Something seems fishy about their web site. They list no physical address location, no phone number to call, and if you want to contact them you have to use their web portal. They provide no email address either. I sent them a message via their we portal asking if they actually had the magazines in stock and never received a reply.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter