New Here, First Galil Clone

gekishibu86

Gekishibu,

Have you ever done any business with Optics and Ammo? I ask because I too found their web site the other day and the Tapco magazines. Something seems fishy about their web site. They list no physical address location, no phone number to call, and if you want to contact them you have to use their web portal. They provide no email address either. I sent them a message via their we portal asking if they actually had the magazines in stock and never received a reply.

I haven’t done any business with them, just found it when I googled “Tapco Galil mag”. As much as I want to check grab some tapco mags myself, I’m behind enemy lines.

D30gaijin

I haven’t done any business with them, just found it when I googled “Tapco Galil mag”. As much as I want to check grab some tapco mags myself, I’m behind enemy lines.

Thank you. I think I'll give them a try. I will let all know here how it works out.

D30gaijin

So I tried to place an order with Optics & Ammo for 5 Tapco Galil magazines and when I went to checkout I received this message:

"The following errors have occurred.

(13) The merchant login ID or password is invalid or the account is inactive."

That means their participation in credit card processing is no longer valid with the credit card company.

Like I said originally, something just seemed fishy about that outfit. Bummer

Pavia

It’s a scam site, like those popup up sites that have unlimited stock of HK SP5s at $1999.00

fortyfive1911a1

D30 - Did you get a chance to shoot it yet? If you shoot it and really like it, I recommend adding a KNS adjustable piston.

Batty67

D30 - Did you get a chance to shoot it yet? If you shoot it and really like it, I recommend adding a KNS adjustable piston.

Agreed on the KNS adjustable gas piston. I added and adjusted one for my AA Galil and it now throws reusuable brass like 6-10' instead of sometimes mangled brasss 30-40'.

D30gaijin

I still have not shot it yet, been working on getting some parts for it. I bought a new set of night sights from Meprolight for $89. Only problem is my dead night sights were missing so have to find the bits and pieces to put the new night sights on. I found the front night sight spring from Apex Gun Parts at a cost of about $5 plus $7 shipping. What can I say? I am desperate. Front night sight takes a standard size roll pin to install and that is done.

Rear night sight is another story. I need the plunger cup and spring to install it. No one seems to have them in stock, and if they did they are stooopidly priced for a simple cup and spring. Be that as it may, I have found that a 5.7x28 cartridge base is the right diameter to act as the cup, just need to cut a 5.7x28 cartridge down, of which I have a lot of. Then any suitable spring cut to fit should work to hold the rear night sight. Will only have to blacken the brass so it doesn't look so jerry-rigged.:)

I'm waiting for a drill press vice to arrive from Home Depot so I can make a decent job of it cutting the 5.7x28 brass case down to use as a spring cup. My tools are extremely limited. I do most everything by hand work.

D30gaijin

Agreed on the KNS adjustable gas piston. I added and adjusted one for my AA Galil and it now throws reusuable brass like 6-10' instead of sometimes mangled brasss 30-40'.

Not sure of the need for the K&N gas piston? I don't recover my brass anymore. And while I have a Dillon 550 press and full reloading setup, and thousands of primers and bullets, I have not needed to reload in years. Let me explain.

From 1998 to 2010 the wife and I lived on and managed the local public shooting range just south of Boise, Idaho. Back then I had access to untold quantities of brass and ammo. I reloaded twice a week on the Dillon to feed my habit. I was a competitive long range shooter and practiced every day at least 50 rounds from unsupported prone position. I am a Palma shooter, and for those of you that don't know what that means, Palma is shot at 800, 900, & 1000 yards, with a .308 or .223 rifle of no more than 6.5kg weight, minimum trigger pull weight of 1.5 kg, iron sights, and a max bullet weight of 155gr for 308 and 80gr for 223. And yes, I shoot both 308 and 223 very successfully out to 1000 yards.

Anyway, the range was on 60 acres and I had my run of it during all hours, especially those hours it was closed to the public. Tons of varmints on 60 acres in southwest Idaho. To feed my varmint AR's I loaded thousands of rounds of 223. Needless to say I never shot it all so still have lots left over to this day... hence I don't worry about brass recovery. As long as it extracts and flies out I am happy. If it does so violently, well so much the better.:)

This Galil Clone is something to soothe long festering itch. I wanted one since way back in the 80's when they were imported from Israel but back then, and to this day, have long been out of my price range. I could probably (today) afford a Galil ACE but they are not the Galil ARM I have wanted for so long. The JRA Galil is likely as close as I will come to an ARM and with it I am happy.

D30gaijin

Not sure if this is something most of you know or maybe don't, but thought I would pass it along to the Galil community.

Master Mount makes an outstanding AK side rail scope mount. They make both the scope mount base that slips onto their side rail and they make a "no gun smithing" side rail mount that mounts to your Galil receiver to accept their scope mounts. I have one of their AK scope mounts (that fits to the existing rail on my Riley AK) but have not tried their "no gun smithing" side rail as of yet, but I plan too. Anyway, their "no gun smithing" side rail mount uses the existing hammer and trigger pin holes and their replacement pins to secure the rail to your receiver. A viable option for scope mounting to the Galil.

And I did specifically email them to ask if their rail will work with a Galil receiver and he said yes. Only thing is, you'll need a standard AK top cover because a scope will not clear the Galil rear sight. I plan to order one and will let you know how it works out. Could be a nice alternative to any Galil mount, which seem to be nonexistent these days.

fortyfive1911a1

The KNS piston aside from not flinging brass into the next county also just makes for a nicer shooting experience. It’s more noticeable on 7.62x39 AKs, but I’d say it reduces felt recoil by 35%+ and creates less wear and tear. Also nice if you plan on suppressing it at any point.

D30gaijin

Forty Five, thank you for that. Never found any 556 that recoiled enough to bother me but I am open to a more pleasant shooting experience. Only thing is, I have too many other gun projects going on that need the funds a KNS piston would take up. Most recent of late is saving for a Sig P320 factory custom FCU. I actually prefer the Beretta 92FS/M9 over the Sig but the factory custom FCU caught my fancy, considering I have a spare slide/barrel and multiple grips for one. Just need that FCU to complete a second Sig P320.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter