ODD M10 RECEIVER REINFORCEMENT?

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
AA9TqUt.jpg

I didn't want to ask a question on the member's FS listing, but wanted to ask the learned hive here if anyone has seen a similar exterior welded on metal strap (reinforcement?) like in this pic. I've never seen anything like this before, but as the ad mentions, this is one of the earliest M10 production. Was this performed at the factory or sometime later? The other question is the apparent offset in the pin hole(s). Very curious.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
The former owner put that on as an exterior reinforcement of the tabs. I can have it removed at my expense for the buyer if they want, but it was done back in the 70s and I'll leave it up to the buyer. It does not touch the SN and can be removed without affecting it. There is no offset in the pin holes, I was bringing my upper over to my Dealer in order to get the picture and threw it on there real quick for the picture without getting it aligned and putting in the pin.

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
The only downside of the reinforcement that I see is that the front pin would need to be a custom extra long one. The original PS lowers didn't have reinforcement tabs.

Scott

Garrett

The only downside of the reinforcement that I see is that the front pin would need to be a custom extra long one. The original PS lowers didn't have reinforcement tabs.

Scott

I had a PS gun where you used two flat head screwdrivers to remove. That style pin would not work.

But the earlier PS guns had a solid pin with a groove in the middle. A spring-loaded retaining latch engages the groove keeps the pin in place. So this type of pin would just slide past the reinforcement and the ends would be recessed.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
I had a PS gun where you used two flat head screwdrivers to remove. That style pin would not work.

But the earlier PS guns had a solid pin with a groove in the middle. A spring-loaded retaining latch engages the groove keeps the pin in place. So this type of pin would just slide past the reinforcement and the ends would be recessed.
The stock pin wouldn’t extend into the added tabs and negate the benefit of having the tabs

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Gaujo, what kind of pin is currently in the gun? Curious...

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
there are extra long ring pull front take down pins available that would work with this. I believe I have a spare if you need one…

59EE1F27-2D18-4321-9960-44881490E9BA.jpeg
D3711057-1928-4764-9710-7B20156E3E31.jpeg

A bit more obscure option… but if you can find one of the old RPB front strap lower receiver brackets, they came with a longer version of the RPB 2-piece flat head screw takedown pin that was longer for the Bracket, so that it would extend all the way through it. Not sure if that reinforcement is thicker gauge steel than these, but if it’s the same gauge steel, and you can find one of these brackets with the original pin (good luck!) it could possibly reach. The ringpull pin is probably gonna be your best and most accessible option for now.

50796AEF-AC7C-4C14-98C5-0AC66CE659B2.png

Last edited:

boomer535

According to the 3 in the serial number this is a 1973 made gun and not an early one. I have a 1973 made M10/45 marked Powder Springs that was rebuild by SWD when I bought it in 1989. SWD installed reinforcement tabs on the inside and used their upper. Original MAC uppers would have to be modified to fit a receiver with the internal reinforcement tabs installed.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter