OEM M11/nine Jamming Constantly

Doobis

Hey so my stamp came in and I finally brought it home. While waiting on the stamp I got a chance to shoot it at the range. It seemed to have a lot of jamming problems. Specifically it has a lot of problems getting empty cases out.

I thought it might be the extractor so I picked up the Lage improved extractor and spring. Brought it home to shoot it today and discovered the spring is just too stiff it seems like. It didnt have a problem extracting but a lot of bullets get light primer strikes and the rim of the cases are nicely dented. I couldnt really get more than a 5-10 shots without stoppages and sometimes it would be 3-5 failures in a row.

I ran home and put the old extractor in and it pretty much did the same thing again. Cases just not making it out of the gun in time and getting jammed by the bolt into the side of the ejection port cutting the brass.

Should I just clip a coil or two off the lage spring and try again with that or is this a cause from another problem? Sorry for the dumb question this is new territory to me.

Doobis

What ammo

Federal, S&B, Reloads using Unique, Reloads using CFE pistol.

Edit and UMC gold which that box ran flawlessly if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

LawBob

Eliminate reloads

Try several mags of the UNC gold.

Dont mix ammo.

I just went to the range and my lawman 9mm ran flawlessly. My buddies Águila jammed.

Pmc 45 ran great. Stupid Chinese crap failed the max10/45
Mk2

The

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
A person could write a small book in regards to tuning an m11.

You mention light primer strikes. Possibilities:
1) check the feed ramp for a pair of marks indicating the bottom of the bolt hits it at the very end of travel. Mine did that.
2) check to see if the extractor is hitting the edge of the barrel with a rim under it. Mine did that.
3) check to see if the bullet crimps are aggressive or you have a worn barrel at the throat letting the cartridge deepthroat hence light strikes. Mine did that.

You mention not ejecting.
1) check to see if your ejector rod is bent or too short. Common issue. Spares are cheap.

LawBob

Lots of potential issues.
Eliminate non issues

Stick w one ammo that’s known to work, and then adjust from
There.

Grant435

I was recently having failures to eject with certain uppers with certain mags. I handed my stuff over last week to a gun Smith that works on full autos. I didnt really have the time or place for multiple trial and error testing. Also I figured I could spend lots of time and money on parts and ammo and still not have it running perfect. I just want to enjoy it when I have free time instead of explaining to my friends why it could be jamming on us. It’s nice to know your gun Well and do work yourself but keep in mind that other option might be better depending on your preference. Good luck

Doobis

A person could write a small book in regards to tuning an m11.

You mention light primer strikes. Possibilities:
1) check the feed ramp for a pair of marks indicating the bottom of the bolt hits it at the very end of travel. Mine did that.
2) check to see if the extractor is hitting the edge of the barrel with a rim under it. Mine did that.
3) check to see if the bullet crimps are aggressive or you have a worn barrel at the throat letting the cartridge deepthroat hence light strikes. Mine did that.

You mention not ejecting.
1) check to see if your ejector rod is bent or too short. Common issue. Spares are cheap.

I dont thing its the first 1 2 or 3 but I took out my ejector rod and it was ever so slightly bent. I bent it back into shape then I measured it. The length I got was 4.6120 does that sound too short? I did notice it has a little bur on the end and a slight angle from wear. Im almost wondering if I should super lightly sand it to make that surface flat again.

Doobis

im still thinking I may try and clip a coil off the lage improved extractor spring and see if that helps any.

Gemlin

Clean your chamber first. Someone could have used steel case ammo and now your chamber has a lot of carbon buildup.

LawBob

And by ca
Clean your chamber first. Someone could have used steel case ammo and now your chamber has a lot of carbon buildup.

And by carbon he means burnt carbonized laquer that’s nice and gummy

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a 1984 made M11/9 that would not work at all with the factory zytels. It looked near new when I opened it up and I'm guessing the reason is it didn't work for previous owner(s) because the zytels it came with didn't work well with the rounded mag catch.I think Vegas pointed out the rounded catch was later, maybe used in semis and was not the norm for the M11/9. (I may be wrong about that).

In any case, the mags sat either too high or low (can't remember). In fact the zytels always sucked.

A bunch of zmags and a new sharp-edged mag catch from Lage solved the problem.

Doobis

I wish I could use the Zmags but my magwell is way too small. Im going to have to send it off to practical solutions in a month or so to get that fixed. I have a new zytel but had to sand the mag to get it to fit in the gun Ill test that out tomorrow. I do notice this new magazine the bolt is rubbing the top of the magazine. Thats probably not off to a good start....I also ordered a new replacement extractor rod from Lage maybe that will help.

LawBob

Good call out. I grab some strong solvents and ill do a deep clean on the barrel.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1018

One of the biggest misconceptions is since steel is harder than brass or aluminum, it must be harder on the gun as it travels through the cycle of operation. Those of that opinion are quick to reference extractor breakage or failure, especially in the AR-15/M16 platforms.

In reality, it’s not the steel cartridge case that’s the problem. The causes often stem from the buildup of corrosion in the chamber and rust-prevention materials used to coat steel cases in order to preserve the ammunition’s integrity in harsh conditions. Foreign manufacturers often use powders that are dirty and contribute to the chamber fouling.

Steel cases have different expansion and contraction characteristics from brass or aluminum. In semi-automatic firearms, this affects the timing of the cycle of operation, particularly in the extraction phase. Steel tends to keep the chamber sealed slightly longer, causing the case to stick in the chamber as the action is unlocking and attempting to extract the fired cartridge case.

Doobis

The rifiling in the barrel is very weak but I did a deep cleaning of the barrel. All the parts really. Took the burr off the ejector rod (thats some soft steel) and re flattened the face of it. Use a new zytel magazine and I just ran out to test it. About 5 rounds in I got a jam. Still cant get the cases out. I think the new ejector rod from lage comes in Saturday if the postal service keeps it together will hopefully help. I think im going to go ahead a clip a coil off the spring for the lage extractor and try that to see if it helps and try again this afternoon.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
How would clipping coils off the extractor spring improve extraction? I am not following the logic. If my understanding is correct, the problem you're having is getting the spent casing out of the gun. The shorter the ejection rod is the slower the bolt will be traveling back as the recoil spring absorbs the recoil energy. As I recall Sam makes an ejector rod that is a little longer than the original. It has worked well in my M11/NINE.

Scott

Doobis

How would clipping coils off the extractor spring improve extraction? I am not following the logic. If my understanding is correct, the problem you're having is getting the spent casing out of the gun. The shorter the ejection rod is the slower the bolt will be traveling back as the recoil spring absorbs the recoil energy. As I recall Sam makes an ejector rod that is a little longer than the original. It has worked well in my M11/NINE.

Scott

I bought the Lage improved extractor and extra power spring to try that out. The extractor is SUPER tight. So tight when the bolt closes it isnt enough energy for the extractor to grab the case. Instead it punches a big dent in the rim of the cartridge and doesn't set the round off. When I had a few good burst it had reliable extraction but I had a lot of rounds just get dented and wouldn't fire. My logic is make the spring maybe not so tight might help. If you have any other suggestions im completely open. I didn't realize Sam sold a longer extractor rod. If the Lage one I ordered doesnt work out Ill try his. I think Im getting the idea why the last seller got rid of this gun lol...

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
When the rounds do go off, is the firing pin centered in the primer? If the bolt is rubbing the magazine then there may not be enough energy to fire the round. This could also explain the poor extraction as the same friction could rob energy from the rearward movement of the bolt as well. I have an M11/Nine with a tight magwell also. In fact it is too tight to use ZMags without sanding them down. It will work with Zytels, but those are crappy mags anyway.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
OP, what part of the country are you in? There may be an UT member close that can help diagnose the problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter