Old Skool Volunteer Arms early open bolt need info and value opinions

rentprop1

we took in an early Volunteer Arms round tube model its a poor mans copy of the Thompson, open bolt, uses modified grease gun mags, probably needs the drive springs replaced ( looks like Grease Gun springs might work ).....trying to get some more info and an opinion of value before we try and list it up on GB

here are the pics, the yellow tape on the mag is just so we didn't confuse it with another GG mags
DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Ive watched a few spitfires sell

Never seen a volunteer

There is one on sturm right now for $5,000 that’s been there for 3 months/ form 4
A semi auto w sanded finish sold around $4300 on gb a couple weeks ago
One was on gb early this year at $5300 that sat for months
I know a forum member who says he bought one at $3800 recently

Gives you a rough idea. None were volunteer arms versions though

Is it on a form 3 or 4?
Does it run 100%?
Plastic lower?

Last edited:

rentprop1

only 1 maker of this gun ...Volunteer Arms........... several makers of similar models
this is not an Eagle or Spitfire, its a Volunteer Arms

its a semi auto, early serial number under 200, probably mid 80's ??
metal ( pot metal ) lower
need springs replaced to run 100 %,

gonna be sold as-is once we figure out a ballpark, don't wanna wait 14 days on a penny start , your added questions are no help but thanks I guess #eyeroll

Last edited:

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
Omg!!!! Here we go again. Bnib stays in a Holiday Inn express every week now he’s an expert on every Machine gun!! Lol

Ive watched a few spitfires sell

Never seen a volunteer

There is one on sturm right now for $5,000 that’s been there for 3 months/ form 4
A semi auto w sanded finish sold around $4300 on gb a couple weeks ago
One was on gb early this year at $5300 that sat for months
I know a forum member who says he bought one at $3800 recently

Gives you a rough idea. None were volunteer arms versions though

Is it on a form 3 or 4?
Does it run 100%?
Plastic lower?

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
Mark reach out to Michael Winthrop. He’s the expert on these guns!!! He’s at spitfiresubgun@yahoo.com. Jack Schnaitman is another. They are actually good guns! The lowers are not plastic they are Cast Aluminum. Yes you can use grease gun springs and a M3a1 bolt as well ( but those benefits are only good for FA) there main weakness is the extractor. Other than that there good guns. Michael will tell you once you tweak them they are amazing.

only 1 maker of this gun ...Volunteer Arms........... several makers of similar models
this is not an Eagle or Spitfire, its a Volunteer Arms

its a semi auto, early serial number under 200, probably mid 80's ??
metal ( pot metal ) lower
need springs replaced to run 100 %,

gonna be sold as-is once we figure out a ballpark, don't wanna wait 14 days on a penny start , your added questions are no help but thanks I guess #eyeroll

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
so an eagle, spitfire and volunteer all sell at completely different prices?

ive considered a spitfire a few times......so ive watched prices...so im an expert on spitfire prices over the past year....that's all I was saying

I saw some volunteers had plastic lowers when I looked it up.

I assumed this was nfa?

Last edited:

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
$1k - $1.2k

Just my opinion, I constantly watch open bolt semi autos though.
I usually see them listed for $1.5k.

rentprop1

This one is definitely going to be posted up on GB because it's a consignment gun in our shop....just trying to do right by the seller and get an honest starting point. We dont do the reserve game, nor roll the dice with penny auctions, too many NR bidders who never pay.....we usually sit down and figure out a min starting price where, even if the gun sells at the starting price, the seller is still happy with where it ends up and understands our fee structure, we constantly pop in and out as a top 100 seller, mostly because of the research before listing it.....
this one being an open bolt is a bit of an anomaly to me....we considered making him an offer to buy it, convert it , F2 it and play, but its not right to low ball a good customer, especially a repeat customer....I rather him be happy, make a couple of bucks and not trash an older open bolt .....especially if there possibly are fanbois that may pay.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
so an eagle, spitfire and volunteer all sell at completely different prices?

ive considered a spitfire a few times......so ive watched prices...so im an expert on spitfire prices over the past year....that's all I was saying

I saw some volunteers had plastic lowers when I looked it up.

I assumed this was nfa?

All Spitfires are NFA ......they were reclassified as MG's in the mid-late 60's. A semi auto Spitfire will fire full auto with no modification.....just takes a bit of manipulation of the safety while pulling the trigger.

The Eagle and Volunteer guns had slightly modified trigger/safety mechanisms, and they remained classified as title 1 weapons.

The later Volunteer guns (the MK3 and MK45) had the square tube receivers and fired from a closed bolt......they are about rock-bottom when it comes to desirability.

Open bolt Eagle and Volunteer (semi) guns seem to sell in the 1000-1300 dollar range (like Kickstand mentioned in his post)

I have to admit, If I had it I'd SBR it .......would be a lot of fun with about 6-7" cut off that "anteater nose" of a barrel!

Last edited:

pjm204

I'll just echo the $1000 to $1200 although maybe a bit less since it needs work.

rentprop1

How much more if I change out the $15 drive springs ?? On a 45 year old gun that functions like this youd have to expect some wear and tear....it runs just not like a top, cant say those ever did in semi ??
Its the universal to the M1 carbine world if you ask me.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Welll

What did it sell for?
And while were here......Did Eagle or Volunteer ever do a round receiver in 9mm???

Put on your thinking tin foil.

I've heard ..some eagles were convertable...All my old info is gone and giggle seems to be censoring the subject...go figure.

Any info will be helpfull...

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
..Did Eagle or Volunteer ever do a round receiver in 9mm???
no

I've heard ..some eagles were convertable...All my old info is gone and giggle seems to be censoring the subject...go figure.

Any info will be helpfull...

yes eagles were convertible they still were OB but the Trigger was set up so no FA if manipulated.

and average price is around $2000 and up now a days

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
no

yes eagles were convertible they still were OB but the Trigger was set up so no FA if manipulated.

and average price is around $2000 and up now a days

I meant convertable between 9 & 45.

Seems like a bbl swap ,magwell adapter and a bolt would get you there.

Got the V
looking at an E......Why IDK..They look the same yet I hear there are differences.
I swear there was one more besides the Spitfire ,Eagle ,and Volunteer that shared the same uglyness.
Want one in 9 and it must be OB.

May have to hunt up a Demro..I think they did a 9mm

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Here ya go. Mine is 9mm. Conversion kits were available back when - you'd get a barrel, bolt face, and magwell adapter for .45 conversion.

David

2_f.jpg

Last edited:

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Very nice.

I was just on the Fox website..Surprizeingly there are still a few nos parts avl and some new made ones. There out of the Magwell converters but theres not much to them. A 3 sided piece of metal or plastic. Bolts they have in various forms. I think there were some bbl's as well.

http://www.foxcarbine.com/parts.html

Soo

The lock...Yours still set on ooo?
Is that an easy work around if someone jimmied it..?

Finally getting somewhere with the History....Yes there was a 9mm
Which model it was is still evasive......Apache or Commando are the likely canidates.....Have never seen an apache.

All these models were derived from the early Eagle built by Fox.
Odd that factory fires would take Him out twice....it was the 70's though.

Last edited:

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
The open bolt obviously go for more money, do a Cerakote on it and I bet it sells for 400 more than as is.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
I emailed them at least 4 times over the last 2+ months and no one has gotten back to me. I wanted to buy some parts - go figure. I’ve given up on them. Yes, my lock is set at 000. To be honest I haven’t fiddled with it at all - afraid I’ll get locked out, ha. One of these sold on gunbroker about a month ago for $2300 if I remember right.

My finish is mint so I’m leaving it alone. It’s not for sale anyway, I like it. It all comes apart and fits in the original case. About the size of a 1960’s typewriter - very cool. I even have the original bronze loader.

David

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter