Optics mount for a sten?

Starvingboy

Does anyone make an optics mount for a Sten? I'm not having any luck finding one. I'd like to try putting a dot-sight on the 'ol MkII

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
146_A6_CEC-_F5_FE-42_B9-8824-23_ABBEA4_A215.jpg

I was making these a while ago, then I streamlined them a little and brought the quad rail in closer and used a more slimline rail to make it flow better.

rentprop1

I was just talking to Sten parts.com about 2 weeks ago again about making the adapter for Sten threads to fit the free float or rail handguards of an AR-15... hopefully in the future but he said they were super busy right now

Starvingboy

komodoj, do you still make those railed fore-ends? Also, how do you keep it lined up? I don't recall there being any sort of index tab on that front bushing.

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
komodoj, do you still make those railed fore-ends? Also, how do you keep it lined up? I don't recall there being any sort of index tab on that front bushing.

The quad rail(which my newer ones, were more slim lined close to the dimensions of the tube diameter) screws into the Barrel Bushing and is held in and retained in by the Barrel sleeve Latch. Like in the same way the current set up Rachets down and locks. There’s really no need to remove the rail unless your looking to replace the barrel. My advice to my customers in the past was to scrib a small line between the tube and rail this way if you remove it then you can realign it and still be able to hold zero! I’ve made and sold a dozen or so of these and have had great feedback. It’s very similar in the way you would install a handguard on a regular AR upper. Unfortunately all the aftermarket Sten parts I was making ive stopped due to my current job and family. (No time)

GeneralPurpose

I've been thinking JB Weld + a small rail segment that has a curved underside (like what YHM makes) would make a decent red dot mount for a Sten without permanent modifications. If placed on the receiver, it would keep the front end free for a Mk. II-S setup with an integral silencer.

Starvingboy

I know it's a Sten gun... but JB weld? The current plan is to try a Mk5 front grip and see if a rail section can be attached somehow.

GeneralPurpose

I know it's a Sten gun... but JB weld? The current plan is to try a Mk5 front grip and see if a rail section can be attached somehow.

As long as it's rigid enough to hold zero and doesn't damage the gun, why not? It would be a clean installation. Alternatively, you could spot weld a rail to the receiver. It just depends how "unmodified" you want to keep the gun.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
As long as it's rigid enough to hold zero and doesn't damage the gun, why not? It would be a clean installation. Alternatively, you could spot weld a rail to the receiver. It just depends how "unmodified" you want to keep the gun.

Why not? Worst it can do is fall off. Not like your fighting natzies with it and your very life depends on it.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Somehow, the idea of JB Weld (&Bondo) on a STEN just sounds right!

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
I've been thinking JB Weld + a small rail segment that has a curved underside (like what YHM makes) would make a decent red dot mount for a Sten without permanent modifications. If placed on the receiver, it would keep the front end free for a Mk. II-S setup with an integral silencer.

A short rail at the back of the receiver should work. You don’t want it to interfere with the charging handle.

I’d TIG braze it with silicon bronze. It melts at a fairly low temp and is easy to remove without damaging the gun. Or high-quality silver solder is another option. Sterlings were induction brazed and the MP28 was silver soldered.

The integral suppressor is a nice option for the Sten. If you port the barrel, get an aluminum bronze bolt and lighten it by drilling through the spigot.

GeneralPurpose

A short rail at the back of the receiver should work. You don’t want it to interfere with the charging handle.

I’d TIG braze it with silicon bronze. It melts at a fairly low temp and is easy to remove without damaging the gun. Or high-quality silver solder is another option. Sterlings were induction brazed and the MP28 was silver soldered.

The integral suppressor is a nice option for the Sten. If you port the barrel, get an aluminum bronze bolt and lighten it by drilling through the spigot.

I'm intrigued. I've already got the rail laying around for this project:

https://yhm.net/4-rail-for-the-customizable-forearm-system.html

I just haven't committed to installing it yet. My integral silencer + ported barrel setup is pending right now. Once I get some time shooting it as a Mk. II-S, then I'll decide if I want to go forward with the rail.

kote786

I made this with my 3d printer a few years ago. It actually works quite well and holds zero. It uses the existing dust cover screw holes so there is no modifications to the gun. Obviously if someone were to CNC or otherwise make it out of metal it would be much better. I redid it in black and made the tabs beefier and contoured to the lines of the dust cover. I have the files still if someone wanted to try, only catch is they have to send me one too :)

Attachments

• sten mount.jpg
    sten mount.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 795
  • sten mount 2.jpg
    sten mount 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 788

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I made this with my 3d printer a few years ago. It actually works quite well and holds zero. It uses the existing dust cover screw holes so there is no modifications to the gun. Obviously if someone were to CNC or otherwise make it out of metal it would be much better. I redid it in black and made the tabs beefier and contoured to the lines of the dust cover. I have the files still if someone wanted to try, only catch is they have to send me one too :)

That's 8 different kinds of cool!
Thanks for posting it in red, it really shows up on the gun.

I need a similar set-up for my Wiselite Sterling.

GeneralPurpose

Excellent work! I would be interested...although today is the day I discovered that my Sten Mk. II does not have a dust cover screw or hole for one. Just a dimple. Google shows plenty of both versions. Makes me wonder how mine comes off. Maybe just prying?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter