Original AK vs a conversion

rsideout

UZI Talk Life Member
How much difference is there in shooting an original milled receiver AK vs a semi, stamped or milled, that was converted. I've only shot a few converted full autos and I'm wondering how they differ from the original milled receiver guns. The AKs that I have shot have been rough. Are milled receiver guns smoother to shoot?

Uncle Billy

oh man, it's been several decades, 4, or close to it, that I fired a Soviet AKM in German as part of familiarize of enemy weapons orientation. fast forward to 1998 and got a chance to fire a NORINCO conversion, to me there was no difference. both were AKMs though

DistalRadius

Nah as long as it's got the rate reducer installed correctly either receiver type should be the same. I love the 7.62 AK but IMHO they just naturally run really rough in F/A. The 5.45 guns are much smoother.

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
There are no, or shouldn't be, any milled semi to select-fire conversions, the Polytech Legend milled receiver guns didn't come out until after '86.

I have a post May Polish milled receiver AK and an original Chinese preMay stamped rec, and have owned Norinco and Polytech f/a conversions, no performance difference what so ever. Although I much prefer the fixed stock over the folder.

As mentioned in another post, the 5.45x39 AK-74 is far smoother and easier to shoot than the 7.62 guns. There are a few .223 converted Norinco and Polytech AKs, but mags are hard to find, a few reliability issues have been reported with those guns.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Ever seen that weird Russian dance where the guy jumps around kicking his legs out? That's what the FA AK shoots like.

OldBesty

Ever seen that weird Russian dance where the guy jumps around kicking his legs out? That's what the FA AK shoots like.

giphy.gif

They shoot like Ted Striker?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter