Problem with open bolt full auto Mini Uzi ratchet top cover

Bret

I shot my open bolt full auto Mini Uzi a couple of weeks ago with its new heavy bolt. I started by putting 5rds through it in semi. There were no issues. I then switched it to full. When I pulled the trigger, the bolt went most of the way forward, but didn't feed the cartridge all the way. I tried a couple of more times with the same result. After unloading, I found that the bolt was getting caught on the top cover somehow. So, I removed the top cover and started fiddling with it. That's when this piece fell out.
IMG-0329.jpg

It's just complete luck that it landed on a leaf and I was able to find it. So, it appears to be part of a ratcheting mechanism. Excuse my ignorance, but I can't figure out what the ratcheting mechanism is for. The Mini Uzi functioned fine after that without it. So, I guess that I have two questions. What's the purpose of the ratcheting top cover and what's the best strategy for getting this piece back where it goes?

FAminidiagram.jpg

Bret

Thanks for the explanation and video. That's exactly what I needed. I'll try to put it back together and will let you know how it goes.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter