Question about manufacturing lineage of my FNC

andrewgraw

Hey y'all,

I was comparing FNCs with another member and discovered something unusual on my Form 4. Mine is a registered receiver imported by Steyr and I assume converted by Gun South. On the Form 4 under Section 4a for "Maker Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm", Gun South would typically be listed. On mine it just says "FN (HERSTAL)".

Anyone have any insight into what this means? Clerical error or something else? Gun was purchased from Ruben at Dealer NFA.

Thanks,
AG

Attachments

• FNC Form 4.jpg
    FNC Form 4.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15

navgunner

UZI Talk Life Member
@andrewgraw thank you so much for posting this; I’m interested to hear what others have to say too. Below I’m listing some of my thoughts, hoping that somebody here can offer clarity.

Line 4.a on your F4 states “FN Herstal”, the original manufacturer and not the individual or entity that did the registered receiver conversation. This is unique to me as all other MGs that I own (or have ever seen) only ever list the original manufacturer there (4.a) IF it’s a original factory machine gun (ex. The Ruger AC556, factory Colt M16s, S&W 76, etc). All others state the converter as the maker. In the case of my personal FNC it shows “PHX Arms” as the maker. I wouldn’t think that there are any transferable Factory MG FNCs here in the US because of the GCA of 1968, those would be restricted as samples.

Also, I’d love to hear from other FNC RR owners and see who did their conversations. I know PHX Arms, and Flemming did some but who else? As we all know, the lion share of the FNCs are all sear guns (big thank you to S&H).

Last edited:

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
Hey y'all,

I was comparing FNCs with another member and discovered something unusual on my Form 4. Mine is a registered receiver imported by Steyr and I assume converted by Gun South. On the Form 4 under Section 4a for "Maker Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm", Gun South would typically be listed. On mine it just says "FN (HERSTAL)".

Anyone have any insight into what this means? Clerical error or something else? Gun was purchased from Ruben at Dealer NFA.

Thanks,
AG

Simply a failure to properly complete box 4a when it was registered -and- ATF didn't police such errors pre-86 like they do today. This is very common with converted Colt SP1's where an individual registered the gun and simply put "Colt Hartford, CT" in 4a. I think this happened a lot more when an individual did the conversion vs a licensed manufacturer. It creates confusion today...especially when someone tries to claim theirs is a "Factory Converted Colt SP1" as I've seen in the past.

Are there any Class 2 manufacturer markings anywhere on your FNC...upper or lower? If not, then there's a good possibility it was converted by an individual vs a licensed manufacturer.

You can do a FOIA on your FNC to possibly find any clues as to who / how the gun was originally registered.

andrewgraw

Simply a failure to properly complete box 4a when it was registered -and- ATF didn't police such errors pre-86 like they do today. This is very common with converted Colt SP1's where an individual registered the gun and simply put "Colt Hartford, CT" in 4a. I think this happened a lot more when an individual did the conversion vs a licensed manufacturer. It creates confusion today...especially when someone tries to claim theirs is a "Factory Converted Colt SP1" as I've seen in the past.

Are there any Class 2 manufacturer markings anywhere on your FNC...upper or lower? If not, then there's a good possibility it was converted by an individual vs a licensed manufacturer.

You can do a FOIA on your FNC to possibly find any clues as to who / how the gun was originally registered.
Thanks for the info. Sloppy paperwork is a much less exciting explanation than I was hoping for!

Only markings are Steyr and Gun South. I may go the FOIA route and try to get the full pedigree just for fun.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter