Question and clarification about MAC's tax stamp(s)

Pmergler

Noob to this forum and looking to get into the MAC MG game :twoguns

I am by no means an NFA expert and have no prior class 3 experience. I do have a suppressor so I am familiar with the NFA tax stamp process. Additionally, I have fairly good knowledge of the SBR laws (mostly as it is applicable to AR platform). I tried to use the forum search + google search and I have found no where that I could get a clarification of this.

For a "standard" MAC M10/11/11A1 FA with the wireframe collapsible, folding stock, can someone clarify if that is a 1 tax stamp or 2 stamp gun? I see that most people seem to refer to this "standard config." as a 1 stamp gun. Then only with a suppressor is it a 2 stamp gun.

I assume the 1 stamp on the standard config covers the FA-MG aspect. So does that mean with a 1 stamp NFA MG you no longer have to worry about the whole SBR aspects and you can put any "stock" on it (like the Lage collapsible, Lage foldable, etc.) and any fore-grip (AFG or VFG) without issue?

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Correct - MG status trumps SBR status
A MG can also have any characteristic of a SBR
(Barrel length, stock, foregrip, OAL)

Pmergler

Correct - MG status trumps SBR status
A MG can also have any characteristic of a SBR
(Barrel length, stock, foregrip, OAL)

awesome, thank you Matt. So it is like getting a golden ticket :)

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
A machinegun can be in any configuration, any barrel length, stock, no stock, vertical grip, no vertical grip. There can be some limitations of caliber. A receiver that is registered as a transferable machinegun can not be configured into any configuration with the limitations. Currently there is no full power rifle caliber conversions that have been approved. There are medium power rifle conversions for the Mac style family of RR from Lage. But to this point there have been no full power rifle caliber conversions approved and brought to market for the Mac style family of RRs.

Scott

Deerhurst

MG trumps all.

Lage got the 556 uppers approved. I'm not aware of anyone working on 7.62x51 or larger conversions.

MACchat

A machinegun can be in any configuration, any barrel length, stock, no stock, vertical grip, no vertical grip. There can be some limitations of caliber. A receiver that is registered as a transferable machinegun can not be configured into any configuration with the limitations.

Scott

I’ve wondered about this. Hypothetically, if a F4 lists the caliber of an M11/9 as 9mm and someone has a dedicated Lage 11/15 on it, assuming the OEM upper is long gone and (on the off-chance) one does not have a Lage 9mm, does ATF need to be notified of the caliber change?

And would they allow it?

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I’ve wondered about this. Hypothetically, if a F4 lists the caliber of an M11/9 as 9mm and someone has a dedicated Lage 11/15 on it, assuming the OEM upper is long gone and (on the off-chance) one does not have a Lage 9mm, does ATF need to be notified of the caliber change?

And would they allow it?

As long as it’s not a permanent change, no they do not need to be notified. You can obtain another upper. Also, besides caliber, you are also changing the overall length when using an 11/15 upper. But again, it’s not a permanent change.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member

And would they allow it?

My first machinegun was a Colt M16. I was traveling out of state with it in 9mm subgun configuration, so I called my Examiner to ask. I was told that the best way to avoid any "entanglements" was to fax caliber, barrel length, and OAL of all the configurations I had. Those configurations would be added to the file of that registered receiver. That way if Law Enforcement called the configuration would be listed in the file. I wanted to fly to an out of state subgun match and could not afford the weight of the original 20" upper and A1 fixed stock that it came to me with.

Certainly an upper and stock change is not permanent. I once saw a TSA agent swab my cousin's Thompson, on the return trip, after he had put 1,000 rounds through it at a weekend subgun match, and it tested positive for explosives. You never know the level of education of the law enforcement you might come in contact with while you travel with your registered receiver machinegun. If you need a 5320.20, includ the caliber, barrel length, and OAL of the configuration you will be traveling with. It just might come in handy.

Scott

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter