Question on SBR Mini's

azguns

so Im thinking about SBRing one of my Mini's. For those who have one or have shot one, is the muzzle blast/concussion the same as or similar to that of a 10-13" AR? Im assuming it is but just wanting conformation from someone that actually has one .

gman552

No, not even close. It is an 8.5" barrel in 9mm. Muzzle blast is minimal.

Huh? I think the OP was thinking about SBRing a Mini-14 chambered in 5.56 NATO.

Judging from my buddy's regular Mini-14 with an obnoxiously loud and bright muzzle blast/flash (no flash suppressor), especially at an indoor range, I can only imagine what a bare 10" to 13"-barreled Mini-14 would be like.

I hope you're planning on threading it for a flash suppressor.

rentprop1

I chopped mine at 13, threaded it for 1/2x28 and installed a Dead Air Key-Mo flash hider....I almost never shoot it without a can but its not any louder I guess ?..I didn't notice much of a change or recoil, I think they added weight may have some effect.
I tried to play with some filters but its dead sexy, figure out what you're gonna do about the front sight, I used the original, as the AC556 real retro sights are unobtainable and the clones are too expensive.
20181125-132450.jpg

azguns

Yes, i am talking about a 5.56 mini. For me the deciding issue will be if the blast/concussion is anything like a 10" barrel AR then Im not going to do it. I love the look of the "AC556" but if it like shooting a SBR AR then there is just no fun in it for me :( I would have no plans of shooting it suppressed either.

MG34_Dan

If you cut down a standard Mini-14 barrel down to 10"-13", you will need to expand the barrel gas port hole for reliable function.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I've shot one, it's just as bad as an AR.
Both are noticeable, but not awful, at least to me.

azguns

Hmmmm all of the 10" or shorter barrel ARs that ive shot have been "unpleasant" ........... at least to me lol.

thanks for the info!

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
If you are wanting to do an AC556 clone, they are a 13” barrel with a muzzle device. Not that much difference from any other carbine ar15 in my opinion...

azguns

Well Ive shot many 16" and 14.5" ARs an not felt the "concussion/blast" from them, However, the 11" and shorter ones were a whole different story for me.. It seems as tho a 13" barrel may be in the "gray area"........

wtrski76

UZI Talk Life Member
Huh? I think the OP was thinking about SBRing a Mini-14 chambered in 5.56 NATO.

Judging from my buddy's regular Mini-14 with an obnoxiously loud and bright muzzle blast/flash (no flash suppressor), especially at an indoor range, I can only imagine what a bare 10" to 13"-barreled Mini-14 would be like.

I hope you're planning on threading it for a flash suppressor.

My bad for not reading which forum I was in. Please disregard my comment regarding mini uzi.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter