R4 wooden handgaurd?

WILDCARD

Am I correct in saying that this a R4 wooden handgaurd? After some quick research I am convinced it is. Also that it is very scarce also?

Any input regarding this will be appreciated. It belongs to me for now.
But even though I am from South Africa I am not sure about the history behind the wooden handgaurds but I am sure someone here might give some advice and input.

Will appreciate all feedback.
Regards

Last edited:

mrf2

It is an early R4 handguard. Supplied (we assume) with the first production of Israeli rifles in the late 70s early 80s. It was replaced rather quickly by the plastic handguard (much like the R1's wood stock, FN production rifles had wood stocks, SA made, plastic)

Mr Folgers

It is an early R4 handguard. Supplied (we assume) with the first production of Israeli rifles in the late 70s early 80s. It was replaced rather quickly by the plastic handguard (much like the R1's wood stock, FN production rifles had wood stocks, SA made, plastic)

This is correct.

From my understanding (and the evidence I've managed to uncover) is that the SADF was very briefly provided with Galil ARM and SAR rifles per contract that were IDF spec. After the initial deliveries, some changes were requested to the design, the most notable being the handguard was made longer and designated the R4.
The only reasoning thats ever come forward as to why this was done was that the average 'physique' in SA is a bit larger than that in Israel, but this makes very little sense since the average height of an SA male is 5'7", and in Israel it is 5'9"....

After IMI supplied a few thousand R4 rifles with the handguard you have pictured, either the UN Arms embargo or an internal decision in the SADF led them to purchase the Galil license and tooling so that the R4/5 could be produced locally.

At this point the plastic handguard was implemented along with some other changes, like the gas tube and stock.

Ady

The only reasoning thats ever come forward as to why this was done was that the average 'physique' in SA is a bit larger than that in Israel, but this makes very little sense since the average height of an SA male is 5'7", and in Israel it is 5'9"....

This is my understanding and the reason why the SA made nylon stock is longer.

mrf2

Only point of argument to Mr. Folger's excellent post is I have never seen an ARM or R4 with a standard length ARM HG from SA. I have seen R4s with scope mount cuts, carry handles, early flash hiders, metal stocks, and straight gas tubes. There is also the issue of the straight gas tubes with the dimple to do the same thing as the lip that came out of SA. I have seen standard SARs, and even Israeli light barrel FALs, but never a standard ARM. I suspect, since the wood handguard look IMI made, that the first rifles were delivered this way and the second group of changes were an early 80s thing (from pics, 81-82, plastic stocks, longer butt, gas tube, no carry handle). The R4A1 (firing pin mod) was later 80s and was the final mod, I think.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Do note that the hg has a carry handle cutout too...

I always wondered how much of it is the SA military just wanting to keep similar manual of arms/ergos for the R4 as the R1s through R3s...

004_zps77df5cca.jpg

The SA R4 handguard length will be pretty close to the same as the FN-FAL (midlenth AR), whereas the galil's is more in line w/ a standard AK or carbine length AR...

PA180003.jpg

Also, longer length of the handguard allows the gas tube to hold down the handguard retaining lever... If that was an issue during T&E, that might explain as well.

Last edited:

adipose

Wild Card; thanks for posting the picture of the R4 wood hand guard; as you don't get to see these everyday.

I have seen quite a few; they all had cut-outs for the carry handle (early models when first started).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter