Receivers

cookie

Founder
What receivers have you guys used for builds? I've used the Imbel Gear Logo, but was a little less than impressed. I expected it to be an easy build, but had to open the bolt carrier rails slightly. Also, most mags were too tight, so the mag well and ejector block had to be relieved. Not at all what I was expecting.

My easiest build was on a Coonan Type I from FAC. Everything went together smooth as silk. If I get a chance, I'll post a few pics soon.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
My first Coonan Type I timed too far and had to peen the barrel, my second Imbel Gear logo needed the barrel shaved and receiver, barrel bottomed out too soon. My Century L1A on an Imbel non-gear logo was only torqued at 80 lbs. We had to peen that barrel to get the desired 150 lbs of torque. Most time was spent on the Imbel Gear logo with Imbel kit. The Coonan receiver was with a G1 kit.

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
I did one on an Oly Arms receiver. I don't think they make them any more. It took some fitting, but it works fine now. I'll post some pics when I can get it out for a photo shoot.

cookie

Founder
kanewtervalve said:
My first Coonan Type I timed too far and had to peen the barrel...Most time was spent on the Imbel Gear logo with Imbel kit. The Coonan receiver was with a G1 kit.

Same exact experience; I forgot about having to peen the barrel for the Coonan. Other than that, which took all of two minutes, it went together perfectly. The hardest build so far was the one I expected to be the easiest - Imbel kit on an Imbel GL.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
cookie said:
Same exact experience; I forgot about having to peen the barrel for the Coonan. Other than that, which took all of two minutes, it went together perfectly. The hardest build so far was the one I expected to be the easiest - Imbel kit on an Imbel GL.
If Pa was here he would say:
:roflmao

Richard Cranium

My first one was an Entreprise with Imbel. After I bought it(Entreprise) I read all sorts of negitive reviews and some positive. It went together really smooth. I did lap the bolt rails with some watered down valve grinding compound and had to relieve the extractor recess a little so that it would close on a round. But I would figure that this is minor fitting.

My second was an Imbel GL on a Imbel kit with carbine barrel and a muzzle brake of my own machining. Awesome too, its modeled after the Springfield Arms M1A Scout Carbine brake. It hand timed to 9:00 and had to turn the shoulder down some to time to 11:00. That was it. I test fired it, now I,m just waiting to get enough parts together to do a green park run for myself and some friends with dummy Thompsons.

Tucson Dick

medicmike

I lost count on how many Imbel GL's I have built on. A couple Enrteprise and 3 DC type 01's from FAC. They all went together well. The Etreprise took a little more fitting than the rest.

roarincreek

UZI Talk Supporter
My 1st was with coonan fac type 1 ,learned oak barrel vise is not as easy as metal receiver wrench,G1 with imbel /usa furnature.my latest was DPMS receiver with imbel barrel,g1 and other mut parts.dpms made a very nice out of spec receiver.lost intrest when form 4 's started arriving just mailed 1 more today.Pa has to be the most class 3 state ,sherrif and deputy came to my home to sign my form and fish in my backyard.(then shoot of course}
the fac type 1 receivers go together very easy ,I have never used a dsa,but for the money and fit and finish fac type 1 was my best.
the imbel receivers I got must have been 2nds?{non logo}
fal guns a lot of fun to play with.hope the parts dont all dry up may want to build another one some day.

jt325i

Imbel & DSA are both great. I'd say the Coonans are just behind the Imbels, some require a little work but they are the best value if you want a Type 1 look. All Imbels are Type 3. The DSA's are available in all varieties (1,2,3) & count as a US part, top quality but pricey (about $450-500)

mark214

UZI Talk Supporter
I like the Imbel's, DSA has a nice receiver and the Coonan receiver is getting some nice reviews.

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
Best FAL receiver...

is the Fabrique Nationale Herstal/Howco import.... I bought my 50.63 *turn-key* from the Belgian factory. :) Nothing beats OEM! The para when equipped with the original STANAG dustcover/mount & Hensoldt/Steiner STANAG optics are truly superb weapons!

The current crop of Coonans is refined pretty well. They seem to have worked out all the bugs. I have not had to tweak any of the recent ones at all.

Meanwhile, the Imbels are getting worse every one I work with.
Rough carrier rails, incorrect breech cuts (carrel bottoming out)
Ejector blocks installed too high/low. BHO channel rough/undersize. And some other probs.
Not what they used to be for sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter