Regarding "coffin" magazines....

DINK

I had a couple of them apart yesterday for routine cleaning and I noted that the followers in the two magazines were quite different. One set was rectangular, like most magazine followers, while the other set had the corners rounded off and were almost round if looked at from the side.

Is there any significance to this? Is one style better than the other? More reliable?

I figure the guys on this forum are probably the biggest users of these magazines so I would ask here.

TIA

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
You'd think the followers with the rounded edges would be better, but I've never had a single malfunction with any of my coffin mags. I've also noted a difference in the thickness of the springs. Carefully check your mag bodies for different markings.

DINK

OK, the one with the square followers has a small crown stamped on it at the bottom right corner of the back of the magazine body. The one with the rounded followers has no marking I can see except the initials "R K" electro-pencilled on the floor plate. The guides where the magazine fits in the gun are more polished on this one, possibly indicating a lot more use.

DistalRadius

If the crown looks like this I believe it is a Swedish army proof mark.
DSC01448.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Danish army may have used a very similar marking as well.
IMG_1390_zpsa1122bf6.jpg

DINK

Yep, that's the little crown. I dug out my other two coffins and I have another one with no markings at all and another one with the little crown. That one also has a "J" inside a triangle. I have no idea what their followers look like.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
For you guys that haven't used coffin mags, here's a photo showing the difference in the two follower types:

coffin1.JPG

coffin2.jpg

coffin3.JPG

J-Ho

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the Swiss made were the rounded followers.

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
guys...i recently purchased a few coffins ...man those suckers are hard to load! Even with the factory loader thingy. I found myself chunking them back into my range bag and grabbing for my drums. Just too tedious to load for me. Maybe Im doing something wrong. Heck I thought MP40 and Mac 10/45 mags were a beotch to load. They have nothing on the coffins!

rant off. Sorry.

quasimodem

guys...i recently purchased a few coffins ...man those suckers are hard to load! Even with the factory loader thingy. I found myself chunking them back into my range bag and grabbing for my drums. Just too tedious to load for me. Maybe Im doing something wrong. Heck I thought MP40 and Mac 10/45 mags were a beotch to load. They have nothing on the coffins!

rant off. Sorry.

wanna sell them cheap? :)

DistalRadius

ive got several of those original Plunger loaders for the Coffins.. i can load all 50 in with no problem with that.

Same here. With the plunger-loader, I can top all mine off fairly easily. Maybe some have stouter springs?:thinking

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
It takes some practice to get a rythym going with the plunger loader. I suggest people go to RTG and order several loaders for five bucks each so they can enlist their friends help in loading the mags. http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/SUOMI-STEN-MAG-LOADER-15p2445.htm

I agree with HH, I'd rather load the drums all day long. That and the coffin mags have become too valuable to shoot lest you drop and dent one rendering it unusable.

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
I'll give it another go on the loading. I do have a plunger style as shown in the vid. But seems I struggled with it ( have used only once and quickly) like the dude in the vid was with the first round he plunged in. But watching him do the remaining rounds easily , tilted and on that table...well, thats what I'll try next time I get the mac out for some blasting.

So the coffins are 50 rounders, huh? cool. I still like drums but intend to play with coffins some regardless. They do look cool and have a great name to boot. hah

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter