Ruger AC556 prices going crazy.

regalgseguy

Yes, I also posted this on the AC556 forum, but that forum does not seem to get much traffic.

Has anyone else noticed how the asking prices of the AC556 has shot up in the past couple of months? Gunbroker and Spiwak are asking well above 10K for a used condition one and higher for a NIB. 2 months ago I shopped around and bought an unfired AC556 blue folder short barrel for $8400. The asking prices now are in the 12K range. What happened? And yes, I'm very glad I bought when I did.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
asking and selling are 2 different things

ive noticed Reisings have gone up $500-1000 lately too...asking prices...

the Ruger used to be a solid $12,500+ for folder and $14,500 for SS folder...

the gun really sucks....maybe people finally figured it out?

i enjoy mine 1x a year.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Umm... prices have gone down the last year or two. The best ones peaked at a solid $14k and now those same guns are $11-$12ish. Regular guns have dipped back to 4-figures.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Finding a NIB short folder for $8400 is a fluke (and a great find on your part). Instant equity.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Umm... prices have gone down the last year or two. The best ones peaked at a solid $14k and now those same guns are $11-$12ish. Regular guns have dipped back to 4-figures.

This. Based on the ones I’ve seen they dipped for a while and are just back up where they previously were, but not what I would call crazy compared to before. Maybe crazy when you could have a MAC & Lage upper instead!

rentprop1

Sounds like market manipulation.
BINGO....if there was a way to track it like comps in a RE market a lot of you guys would realize how a specific few dealers set a price and the gun may never sell at that price.

Like I posted in the other form there are a lot of dealers that don't list on the internet at a high inflated price just to say hey look what we got for sale where's the sucker.

Kramer

BINGO....if there was a way to track it like comps in a RE market a lot of you guys would realize how a specific few dealers set a price and the gun may never sell at that price.

Like I posted in the other form there are a lot of dealers that don't list on the internet at a high inflated price just to say hey look what we got for sale where's the sucker.

Oh a few years ago we had a regular dealer on this board post about the increasing prices of the Uzis back then. He said something like: "Wow do you guys think that Uzis will hit $xx,xxx by the end of the year?" Well if you had it your way they will be.

All we are hearing lately from the market trolls is either "prices going crazy" or "in free fall". Hey supply and demand markets do that occasionally.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Slow and Steady over time. If you bought these to make a quick buck, sell them and get a good stock broker. You will make a killing till the market crashes, but if you wait it out over the long term you will make a nice return. Get rich quick schemes rarely work, and if they do, you had better not keep going back to the well, or you will get “broke” quicker than you got rich...

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Slow and Steady over time. If you bought these to make a quick buck, sell them and get a good stock broker. You will make a killing till the market crashes, but if you wait it out over the long term you will make a nice return. Get rich quick schemes rarely work, and if they do, you had better not keep going back to the well, or you will get “broke” quicker than you got rich...

Yep: patience! On a scale of 5-10 years is where you kill it. These are all micro fluctuations over the course of a couple of months or years.

Kursk

I've noticed prices dropping on the AC-556. 8400 is a great price for a folder NIB.

garandman

Prices rise and fall. That's the nature of commodities. There is no grand conspiracy.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
i think the lage upper hurt the Ruger.

why spend $11-13k when you can buy a mac and lage upper for less...and have a easier shooting gun too.

i like the interesting design of the ruger...its quirky to me. mechanically its over complex. dont dissemble the trigger group. Looks like a M1 Garand shrunk down to me.

these are clearly down a few grand from 3 years ago. because of lage they may be less than a Mac 11/9 soon

cjsoccer3

Yeah the Lage and Tenko are going to drop these prices more I bet. Few parts. Troublesome accuracy and handling. The cheap 5.56 is in the Macs and no longer the AC556.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I have both. The 13” Ruger is very controllable in a scar stock, with a foregrip and a red dot. It is also a closed bolt gun with a (3) round burst as well as full auto. The macs are a lot of fun, and are a lot easier to accessorize and re-configure, but they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Shorty folder for sale on this site for $9800 (which is a nice looking rifle at a great price in my opinion).

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I agree with Offmarksman. The AC556 is considerably more controllable in a SAGE Chassis, with vertical foregrip, etc. It's also lots of fun to shoot from a bipod. As well, I like that it's a factory MG, and the side-folder gives it a very unique look; think early PDW. I traded-off my M10/45 towards an AC556K. I'm glad I did. All considered, the AC556 is a an MG that's fun to shoot right out of the box. With all the upgrades for MAC's things can get expensive. Like Offmarksman said, each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter