S&W76/MK760 Owners- We Need Your Help

PK

UZI Talk Life Member
Problem: Lack of OEM spec. recoil springs

The S&W76 & MK760 guns aren’t getting any younger and while many parts are available, OEM spec recoil springs are not. Although Scott Andrey sells recoil springs, he acknowledges they aren’t OEM spec and desires some that are. He endorses this quest. We would have a quantity of these springs made, but I have not been able to locate the original specification.

Proposal: If enough owners of these guns would be willing to submit their springs for measurement & testing we could reverse engineer the specification and have some quality replacements made. This is how it would work:
* Send your spring to us. Safeguards will be in place to insure that the spring you send is the spring you will get back. It will be measured and load tested but not damaged in any way.
* Information from your spring will be entered into the study. NO personal information will be kept.
* Your spring will be back in the mail, post paid & insured, within 48 hours of receipt, accompanied by a report of the findings.

Of special interest are springs from NIB guns. I know, how many of those are we likely to find? But there may be a few out there. Original owner guns that have not had their springs replaced would be of high interest. If you aren’t sure about your spring, that’s OK, let me know and we’ll figure it out.

If you know that your spring has been replaced with one of the Andrey offerings it would not be of interest; we know all about those. Also, if your spring has been cut (both ends not closed) it would not be suitable.

Your participation will insure that these guns continue to serve; the entire community will be benefited by your willingness and we need your cooperation. The data base must be large enough or it won’t be credible. Please, don’t assume someone else will cover this for you- step up and participate.

Please email me and I’ll provide a form for you to complete and send with your spring. When the new springs are made and ready for sale, participants who desire will be given special consideration towards a new spring.

Together, we can make this happen.

Paul Krogh
Diamond K
Delta, CO
diamond-k@q.com

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
I can't believe nobody has replayed to this post since there are a bunch of S&W 76 owners here? Paul is a straight shooter. I sent my springs in - he tested them and promptly return my main springs. I Hope we can get some more original Main springs so that we can make new ones from this effort.

DINK

Yeah, my spring has already gone to Paul and come back. If anyone is unfamiliar with Paul, he's the #1 Thompson gunsmith in America and routinely works on guns that are worth a hell of a lot more than the M76. He is utterly reliable and you will have no worries if you decide to help out with this very worthy project.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I was wanting to wait till I got a replacement spring from SA Machine before sending mine, but who knows how long that's going to take. What was the turn-around time when you sent yours in?

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
I was wanting to wait till I got a replacement spring from SA Machine before sending mine, but who knows how long that's going to take. What was the turn-around time when you sent yours in?

7 Days (includes a weekend). Mailed it on Wed, he got it on Saturday, He mailed back on Monday and I received it on Wed.

DINK

Same here- it was back in a week.

Dockless55

UZI Talk Life Member
Just picked up a MK 760. Will look at spring. If it meets your requirements I will be sending it next week. Will that be OK?

PK

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the support gentleman, you are greatly appreciated. Good reverse engineering is a numbers game; the more data you can collect the better chance you have of actually getting it right, so each and every spring is important.

If you have not submitted your spring and have a question about it, please email and we’ll figure it out.

opee

UZI Talk Supporter
I would love to help, but I really don't know if my spring is the original or not. The gun came from an estate earlier this year in Montana, but don't have all the history on the gun, other than it runs great with WWB. The only thing (non-stock) on the gun is I did install one of those plastic buffers I bought from a board member on here.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I would love to help, but I really don't know if my spring is the original or not. The gun came from an estate earlier this year in Montana, but don't have all the history on the gun, other than it runs great with WWB. The only thing (non-stock) on the gun is I did install one of those plastic buffers I bought from a board member on here.

I think they will be able to tell. In his post, he says even if your not sure, to go ahead and send it and they will figure it out.

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter

Yes send it in. We need as many springs as we can study.

r

he completed the project and had springs for sale. I assume he still sells springs.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter