SUOMI Drum 22 L.R 3D Print Conversion

Bianchi

I finished my 22lr 30RDS mag
2.jpg
55.jpg
Now I want to convert a 3D suomi drum modified for an AR15 well to my UZI
and if can be possible he would be made with printed plastic and metal sheet.
XckjYpd-900x564.jpg
I find a drum.stl file made by Nils to gain time because i did not find any 22 lr Drum in blue print, this is my lone reference and i have no drum under the hand...

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Those drum teeth look more like an ak drum unless I am confusing something. Suomi designs have races for bullets.

Bianchi

Hi! two model of printable drum are available AR.15.75RD.Drum.Mag.v0.1 or AKM.75.RD.Drum.Mag.v0.2 they are here:
AR15
https://github.com/maduce/fosscad-r.../AR-15_FOSSCAD_Israel_75rd_Drum_Magazine-nils
AK
https://github.com/maduce/fosscad-repo/tree/master/Rifles/AKM_75_Round_Drum_Magazine_Yee_v0.2-nils

In first i will scale the object to the size of a 22lr bullet to see what happen to determine what kind of modification i have to made on the drum and attach my 22lr magazine file modified for the drum...

Uncle Billy

they already makes drum for a . 22 AR.........GSG makes 110 round .22 AR drum. or if you can't find that, just buy a 110 round drum for the GSG 5 or 10/22 and just make a feed tower for it.

you have one BIG thing going in your favor, and that there are .22 drums out there, so you don't need to "re-invent the wheel" making a drum.....just have to make a feed tower to go on top of the drum, cutting the existing feed tower off and taking a existing .22 AR magazine, cut and mate it to the drum

that's what I've done to make drums for rifles that no drum exist for those, like the PPS43 and 5.56 SLR-106UR.

oE0TUFN.jpg

PPS-43-drum.jpg

I also made a 70 round drum for my a VECTOR MP5-k, using a SUOMI drum and mating a MP5 mag
Digital-Camera.jpg

Last edited:

Bianchi

Uncle Billy

nice modification Uncle Billy! i know what you explain but unfortunately where i live i cannot buy this kind of parts without filling a ton of paper...and they cost the twice!

OPPS, I didn't realize that .22 drums would fall in that restrictive category.

i found something with a minimum of parts more simple than a suomi drum to attach my "feed tower" on it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-hLFKhU-FE

Snail drum file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V9hC5G1kDFalFGEXjHDB5BD5Tnf3EQYt/view

well there you go, :) that certainly is far more simpler then any drum out in the commercial market.......just one moving part, the follower/armature

when you finish making it, post video of you shooting your creation or pictures of it. :)

Last edited:

Uncle Billy

except for the spring, the entire drum for the GSG is made of plastic, and those hold up pretty well. so it doesn't have to be complete made of metal

Last edited:

Bianchi

i do a scaling on the body
.600 to .22
that's just to see quickly i must use another software.
snail2.jpg

snail1.jpg

LOL.JPG
the first assembling look like a joke!

Last edited:

Bianchi

i've to elongate the spiral the drum will be more wide...
A3.JPG

But it’s better if I keep this small for the first few tries.

A4.JPG

01.JPG

Last edited:

Bianchi

hello! i do not know how many ammo it can contains...because the ammunition is packed in the feeding tower and also in the drum.
I have to print everything to know it properly! all bullets in the feeding tower must be subtracted from other's that are in the drum because they are used to push others..
At this size this snail drum is good for a small magazine body (feed tower).

1.jpg

it contains 35/37 ammos and the feed tower 22....= 13 lol!! this is not possible to reducing the feed tower, this is more adapted to a pistol that have a short 10 rounds magazine.

Last edited:

Uncle Billy

it contains 35/37 ammos and the feed tower 22....= 13 lol!! this is not possible to reducing the feed tower, this is more adapted to a pistol that have a short 10 rounds magazine.

what you would need to do to fire all the rounds in the feed tower, is to put 21 dummy/spacer rounds in front of the follower.....that way all the live rounds that are in the feed tower that otherwise won't be pushed up and fired, will be pushed up to the feed lips and fired by the dummy/spacer rounds behind it. so now you will be able to fire all 30 rounds in your drum

what I used as a spacer rounds for my home made drum that I made for my 70 round PPS-43 and 70 round MP5 drums is I took a wooden dowel that is 3/8 inch diameter then cut it to 25mm length for the 7.62x25mm drum and 19mm for the 9mm drum.

the diameter of 3/8 inch is approx. what a 7.62x25mm and 9mm round are. you'll just need a wooden dowel that is the approx. same diameter as a .22 round, then cut it to approx. the same length as a .22 round

my video at 1:10 and at 5:05 will explain it a lot better of what I mean

BTW, you made a great looking drum :)

Last edited:

Bianchi

i know that some spacer are required to replace rounds! what i think is that drum at this size be more adapted to a shorter feed tower to not put ton of dummy rounds or cutted wood dowell spacer in it. i selled my PPQ 22 and this drum could be perfect on this gun for exemple, with his 10 rds mag transformed into a feed tower and this drum i could have aproximatively 25 rds and only 10 dummy ammos to push the others.

i will finish the printing but that will take a time to try to shoot 10 rds with this drum because i must made an axis in steel and one spring.

i'm hot to try to modify the suomi in 22l.r now! i want to try something.

i think the "snail drum" cannot be enlarged or modified to gain more ammo's! we can only scale it to be adapted to another size of ammo.
tell me if I’m wrong...

Last edited:

Bianchi

1232.jpg

i do all parts in metal the first that are printed be tiny they cannot resist! i have to remove nuts and weld all.

50.jpg

thank's for the vid Uncle Billy! i've looked at it with pleasure! i will try to made it functionnal i can adapt the file to something else later.

22lr_drum2.JPG

i started to look at the ar15 drum file.

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
It looks great.

How are you avoiding rimlock? All the 22 drums I'm aware of have something to space out the 22 cases in the drum to avoid rimlock.

663369m2_ts.jpg

promag-marlin-795-22-lr-70rd-drum-mar-a4_back.jpg

ruger_drum_mag.jpg

pumadrum.jpg

american180-3_1295_detail__22894.1544143967.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter