Suomi drums for the sw76

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
Jim:

I don't know if anyone is currently making a S&W 76 drum. Mine (in pic at top of this page) is a one of a kind made by a member of this forum a few years ago. There is another gentleman in WV that makes 60rd S&W 76 mags and 50rd GG mags (both types are excellent) and has made a few S&W 76 drums. Maybe these people will chime in here and state if they want to make more drums.

Barry in IN

I thought C&S Metall-Werkes was making them, but I just checked their website and didn't see anything about them.
So, maybe they made some, maybe they were going to but didn't, or maybe they just never did anything of the kind.
But it still seems familiar.

SHURESHOT

UZI Talk Supporter
Hey Subgunfan,
Could you post some picts of your drum I have some drums and was wondering what would be the best way to go about modding them. My buddy has one for his uzi that feeds from an angle and into single feed, I was wondering if the 76 ones were single or double feed and does it use brass blanks to fill the tower. A picture or two would be greatly appreciated.

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
SHURESHOT:

I will email you some pics............ later. But I will say that my S&W 76 drum has a straight (90 degree) tower that is single-feed, and does have plastic dummies that fill the tower.

r

C & S Drums

C & S did make SW76/MK760 drums in the past. (I remember being at the first MG shoot where they set up to sell the first MP-5 drums for $350 each---early 90's at THE FARM in Ark---man were people impressed back then). Back when the assult weapon ban went into effect, people were still converting drums. ATF finally got pissed enough, that they wanted to stop production, so they came up with the explantion/interpetation that any LC feeding devices made from existing LC feeding devices must fit the original intended firearm, AND if it does not a NEW large capacity feeding device had been created contrary to the law. I heard at that time C & S was dis-continuing production on drums . Called them immediately, and they said yes that was true. Bought almost the last SW76 drum they had in stock. The C & S drums have the feed neck at about the 10 o"clock postion (looking at face of drum) instead of 12 o"clock. Seems like there was a member on Uzitalk a couple of years ago making MK760 drums. Think his member name was onion-something.

SHURESHOT

UZI Talk Supporter
SubGunFan said:
SHURESHOT:

I will email you some pics............ later. But I will say that my S&W 76 drum has a straight (90 degree) tower that is single-feed, and does have plastic dummies that fill the tower.

Thx. now to see if my sub par welding skills will produce satisfactory results....:)

panaceabeachbum

I remember a good while back, maybe 15-20 years ago, there was a company that advertised in firepower or mgn that would fit the removable magwell from a sweedk/gustav so you could directly use the soumi drums . Is this no longer a good option? would be neat to switch from coffin mags to drum etc

AKhunter

Problem is the 76/760 have markings on the magwell; there were only a handful of 76s that did not have any magwell markings. Cutting up the magwell on an original 76 is a shame too so it's much better to trade 76/760 for a Swedish K as drums and especially parts are readily available.

Veteran 82ABN

I have a S&W 76 Drum!

To all who are looking for the S&W 76 Drum mag,
After a very long search, I have obtained a suitable and working S&W 76/MK 760 and SW 760 Drum magazine that works quite well! Mark my word; There is no one currentley making this magazine conversion that I know of, since my search has taken me to almost all gun auction/selling sites and I have covered all other smaller gun part sites and sellers in between! I got lucky and got this one-of-a-kind from Dave at DKMAGS.com, and allthough I'm not knocking Dave, the magazine is not perfect to say the least, but it does work. The mag is made from a Suomi drum with a Suomi cut-off stick mag
welded straight on top (with zero angle) and while inserted, it looks like the one pictured on the top of the SW76 forum page. It does look Bad-Ass! And although it does fire nice, I am not happy with the loose fitting while inserted in my 760 mag well. It's obvious that the prior owner filed way to much off the front are rear mag pad and mag lock/release portion of the tower portion, because it is way to loose. I am thinking of sending it off to Scott Andrey, (who is woking on one of my projects) and have him re-installed the mag pad and mag lock/release portion of my drum. I looked for a long time; I got one made by someone? I've test fired it-it does work:
My SW 760-400 rounds fired with zero malfunctions.
My partners S&W 76-approx 300 rounds fired with about 12-16 rounds either jamed or double feed, and from what I see, it's because the drum being to loose!
New news-
I am tackling the SW 76/760 Drum Mag concept and am starting my own production of these mags. I'm using readily available Suomi 70 + mags and attaching them to Suomi cut-down sticks with the double to single round
mag conversion in the stick (which my mag has) and I currently have 3 on the table almost finished! All will be fired SA/FA before I discuss the $ amount to anyone.
Anyway folks, give me some feedback and place an order.
Veteran 82ABN
Greg

Attachments

• SW 760 drum.jpg
    SW 760 drum.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 365
  • SW 760 drum1.jpg
    SW 760 drum1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 332
  • SW 760 drum 2.jpg
    SW 760 drum 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 319

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Those look great!

Let us know how they work and what you need price-wise.

Jake

r

sw76 drums

back on page 9 of 15 pages under sw76 talk, is a post dated 1/21/2006 entitled "wts-68rd drum for sw76-it worked" by bucknakedracin. he was building drums back then. one of his posts lists his business name as Orion Arms in Minnesota. i assume he is still a member here. Any of you guys tried to contact him, or looked at the drum pics in those previous posts? One post listed his drums for $155 each. Don't know how many he made. There did not seem to be a lot of demand at the time for SW76/MK760 dums. Since I already have a C & S drum, a 60rd & an 80 rd frankenmag, what would tickle my fancy is a Beta likes M60Joe's. I will be bringing the C & S drum to Dallas Uzitalk shoot on Saturday , if anyone wants to look at the angled tower version.

Jmg7208

Purchased a SW76 from J Burgess and am waiting on ATF approval of the transfer. I am interested in obtaining one of the drums. If the price is not prohibitive.

BIG JOE IN PA™

Restricted User
Jmg7208 I think you made a mistake. He is overpriced for his guns. There was a MK760 on the boards for $3900 and he wants $5700 for his.

FULLAUTOSLUT

I woulden't buy one of those Burgess POS's for $2000 more either. A great alternative is a Stemple with the 9mm kit mine works great.

Veteran 82ABN

I have finished 3 S&W 76/SW 760 Drums!
Yes, I have finally successfully finished 3 drums that work in the S&W 76 and my SW 760. The Suomi drums are quite remarkable to work with and I've had a blast modifying them. They did take some time to fine tune! All currently fuction 100%.
Let me know if there's anyone interested in getting one.
Greg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter