Suppressors

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
There's lots of miscellaneous posts about suppressors on UZI Talk, but it's sort of spread out all over the place. I'd like to get people's experiences with different cans and perhaps the good, bad & ugly. Maybe even get a good discussion going.

I'm still a novice in this area but hope to get up to speed rapidly:)

So here's a few questions/topics to get things going:

1. What kind of suppressors have you used?
2. Any you've heard to avoid?
3. How do you go about cleaning?
4. For reloaders, any clean powders to recommend for use with cans? Subsonic recipes?
5. Cycling problems b/c of blowback changes?
6. Aluminum vs steel vs exotics (like Titanium)?
7. How many rounds can you shoot before a cool down is needed?
8. Use of grease, water or other materials to enhance suppression.
9. How many rounds can I realisticly expect before needing a rebuild?
10. What are the best technical references you've seen on the subject?
11. Suppressors on open bolt vs delayed blowback or closed bolt firearms: Is one design better for overall suppression or clean propellant burn?
12. Larger caliber = less suppression?
13. Integral vs detachable, pros & cons
14. Recoil reducers/compensators. Do they work? Why are they needed?
15. Why suppress supersonic fire?
16. ROF change on F/A guns with suppressor attached?

UZI SBR AWC

MuzzleFlash said:
1. What kind of suppressors have you used?----- AWC MK9, fella had 1, I heard it, decided I had to have 1. Have heard a Gemtech MK9K on a MP-5 (Rick Hill from Subguns.com), sounds like my MK9, not sure whose ammo he was using, but maybe similar sound.

2. Any you've heard to avoid? ---- SDS & Ceiner

3. How do you go about cleaning?--- AWC MK9 comes apart, book says to just blow air into it.

4. For reloaders, any clean powders to recommend for use with cans? Subsonic recipes?--- Vhita Vuori, AA-#5,, 5gr of either with any 147/150. Really does not matter what powder to a degree, the can will collect the dust anyway.

5. Cycling problems b/c of blowback changes?--- Seems more positive feel in cycle., little more debris faster in the receiver, just dribble a little more oil, and keep going, I only clean inside maybe 2x a year.

6. Aluminum vs steel vs exotics (like Titanium)?--- Most subgun cans will be all aluminum, except for a stainless blast baffle and steel end-caps.

7. How many rounds can you shoot before a cool down is needed?--- Shared my can on a fellas Vector, he ran a drum through in 30 seconds or less, was hot, but not smoking, waited a couple shooters till my run, was fairly cool.

8. Use of grease, water or other materials to enhance suppression.--- None here, run the MK9 dry.

9. How many rounds can I realisticly expect before needing a rebuild?--- 9mm, probably be a while, not much severety to blast from 9mm.

10. What are the best technical references you've seen on the subject?--- no response
11. Suppressors on open bolt vs delayed blowback or closed bolt firearms: Is one design better for overall suppression or clean propellant burn?--- Kind of a toss up, the delay (HK) may allow more gas out front, where MAC/Uzi will open right up and blow some into receiver.
12. Larger caliber = less suppression?--- Sorta true, 45 is quite a big hole, and trying to delay gas exit to atmosphere is harder, as big holes are not very restrictive (trapping gas).

13. Integral vs detachable, pros & cons-- Integral, stuck to 1 barrel, usually quieter,,,,, Muzzle, use on multiple guns, some say not quite as quiet as integral, and muzzle cans need sub-sonic to remain quiet, Integrals usually ported to allow std ammo to be used, and bleed gas off to lower velocity to a sub-sonic speed for quiet.
14. Recoil reducers/compensators. Do they work? Why are they needed?--- Compensator,, depending on style, yes. Some fellas have IPSC style comps on their 9mm M16.
15. Why suppress supersonic fire?--- Take away the muzzle blast, and have just a "rip" noise of bullet in sonic flight, sounds like 22LR but where is the muzzle blast (POP)?
16. ROF change on F/A guns with suppressor attached?--- Usually see a slight increase. [/B]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter