Turan 9mm ammo

Pharmerjohnson

Has anyone tried Turan 9mm ammo? I tried running it through my M-11/9 with Lage Max-11/9 upper. It wasn't a good combination. By the third round the cases were severely deforming and had case head separation. I haven't tried it in anything else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-48-43-33_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-48-43-33_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-49-08-45_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-49-08-45_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-48-55-89_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-20-16-48-55-89_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 23

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the heads up.

When buying for SMG use I consider all off brand the same garbage as aluminum case.

FYI- Maxxtech 9mm brass has an internally stepped case. Total garbage. Will separate.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
The case in the middle if the belted 9mm magnum round.
I get one or two every drum with my max 10/31.
(Sarcasm off)

It's firing before the bolt is fully closed.
Probably the ammo never heard of it before.

I stick to my reloads and just run 9mm until the cases are toast or lost.
I never get the belted 9mm case in any of my closed bolt guns.

I would suspect cheap/junk ammo.

Either reload or buy quality ammo.
If it persists with high quality name brand ammo I'd talk to Lage.

Also check your chamber and make sure there isn't a ring of lead or copper build up that is keeping the round from fully seating causing it to fire before fully seated.

My money is on that off brand ammo being your problem though.

Pharmerjohnson

The chamber looks good, and I haven't had an issue with any other brands. I think it's the ammo.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Never heard of that stuff, which is probably why it is performing the way it is to be totally honest. Go spend a few more dollars and get some decent ammo. You have a machine gun, they are an investment. You wouldn’t purchase some expensive exotic tropical fish and then feed it generic “fish food” from the dollar store, same logic applies here.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the pics and see what has happened to these casings. You need to not use that ammo anymore, you’re gonna end up hurting yourself (or the gun) with that shitty ammo.

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Just looked up turan ammo
Look on U tube lots of new name turkish ammo blowing guns up.
Guy lost a rather expensive 308 rifle to turk ammo last winter.

Then I I guess didn't learn his lesson and lost another gun to different turk ammo.

Just search turkish ammo explodes gun on Utube lots of vids from different turkish ammo KB'n guns.

I'd use it for pull down components.

IE: pull it and charge it with a known good powder.
redo a few at 1st maybe a mags worth and see if you still get the OOB stuff.
Could be soft primers or even junk soft brass.

If so I'd just use the projo's and scrap the rest no sense ruining any gun with ghetto ammo.
That stuff you have may just blow apart in a Mac gun but a handgun it gonna KB if it's unsafe.

Ericoak

Thanks for the heads up.

When buying for SMG use I consider all off brand the same garbage as aluminum case.

FYI- Maxxtech 9mm brass has an internally stepped case. Total garbage. Will separate.
1. Not all Maxxtech does.
2. If you don't plan on reloading how is that a problem?

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
1. Not all Maxxtech does.
2. If you don't plan on reloading how is that a problem?
The stepped cases separate, and leave one piece of the brass inside of the chamber. The next round will likely cause an out of battery discharge, due to the one part of the step brass being stuck inside the chamber.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
as possible noted out by Hey and Kick, Don’t use stepped ammo. Not sure if all Maxxtech does, but I wouldn’t take the chance. You do t have to spend much more to get Blazer if you are just having fun…

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Turkish ammo, MKE, Turan, Yavex, etc. have some concerning QC issues and I would not recommend them for machine guns. I have tried these brands in pistols only ( and not valuable ones) and encountered everything from very hard primers, major pressure spikes/ load inconsistencies, to jacketed bullets de-laminating inside of a suppressor.

Turkey has always seemed to struggle with QC issues with ammo. The Germans assisted them in the 1900's, followed by the Czechs after the Ottoman empire fell. That being said, they are increasingly dominating the small arms market with less expensive firearm clones.

PDXsparky

UZI Talk Supporter
The stepped cases separate, and leave one piece of the brass inside of the chamber. The next round will likely cause an out of battery discharge, due to the one part of the step brass being stuck inside the chamber.
It sucks when this happens. I have a stock M11-9 barrel that I can't use because of the brass ring stuck in the bottom of the chamber

slimshady

Turkish ammo, MKE, Turan, Yavex, etc. have some concerning QC issues and I would not recommend them for machine guns. I have tried these brands in pistols only ( and not valuable ones) and encountered everything from very hard primers, major pressure spikes/ load inconsistencies, to jacketed bullets de-laminating inside of a suppressor.

Turkey has always seemed to struggle with QC issues with ammo. The Germans assisted them in the 1900's, followed by the Czechs after the Ottoman empire fell. That being said, they are increasingly dominating the small arms market with less expensive firearm clones.

Heard anything about SAR-USA ammo? Dirty but all the reviews I've seen have been positive as to accuracy and it is full power NATO spec. Only in pistols though, no open bolt reviews yet.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Heard anything about SAR-USA ammo? Dirty but all the reviews I've seen have been positive as to accuracy and it is full power NATO spec. Only in pistols though, no open bolt reviews yet.
I've heard of it, but not personally tried it. SAR-USA is the importer for Sarsilmaz which makes most of the Turkish shotguns and CZ clones on the U.S. market. I believe Sarsilmaz is one of the oldest manufacturers of ammo and firearms in Turkey, as they were around when the Ottoman Empire was still relevant.

I have a few boxes of BPS I need to test. One of the problems with these Turkish manufacturers is that many of them are very new- appearing in the late 2010's; labor is cheap there and I suspect many of these companies have many teething issues and a high turn over rate of unskilled labor.

It's not uncommon for ammunition manufacturers to have their ammo rebranded once imported, or do large runs of contract ammo with custom headstamps. Case in point: Academy Sport's Monarch line of ammo is simply Prvi Partisan that is rebranded and sold as steel or brass cased. It is possible that the powder blends and components are slightly different, perhaps a lower grade, bu it's all made on their tooling in Uzice , Serbia.

Another newer contender that I have used extensively is New Republic Training & Range Ammo ( not to be confused with the American remanufactured junk.) New Republic is rebranded GECO ( which is a subsidiary of RUAG) manufactured by MFS Defense in Sirok, Hungary. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I've broken down GECO 124. gr. 9mm and New Republic 124. gr. 9mm and the differencs are neglible. Charges weights were the same and font's are virtually exactly the same under magnification. Flash holes are cleaner on GECO, but again this could be a slightly more budget oriented contract given the price point. Either way out of the 4k+ rounds of New Republic I've used it's been flawless and accurate.

Landric

A couple buddies and I shot three cases of the stuff at the Ohio State SubGun match in 2022. It ran fine in two MACs with Lage uppers and a STEN Mk. II. No issues at all other than being dirty. However, the guns would have been dirty with any ammo after about 1000 rounds each.

I got several cases of another Turkish brand, ZSR headstamp, marked as Buffalo Cartridge Adrenaline. It has a 115 grain FMJ instead of 124. It has run completely fine in various handguns and my MACs. However, it isn't consistent in OAL, bullet seating depths are all over the place. It was a lot cheaper than everything else when I bought it, now it is priced only slightly lower than other more reputable brass cased/boxer primed options. I have about 1500 rounds of it left. That will go down range at the Ohio match this year. I won't be buying any more of the stuff. On the other hand, if I found a deal on the SAR-USA 124 grain FMJ I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

hbar314

Have a few thousands rounds of Turan that I got in a few months ago, was going to run it through the M11 this weekend and happened to see this thread.
Googled and ran across lots of folks that had no issues, but a one guy on reddit that had two issues.
So decided to look at my ammo harder.

Different box style but pull a bullet to see if its belted and its not. Headstamp is TRN 23 for future reference.

Going to the range at lunch tomorrow and test it (probably a mag in semi watching if anything is abnormal) before I let it rip.

1714102826318.png
1714102840188.png

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I am certainly not telling anyone what to do with their gun. But for me, I only run stuff with brass cases and reputable ammo producers. For budget 9mm, Blazer is a good option. Reloading is also a good way to save on ammo and get quality ammo. Cheap ammo from unknown or questionable manufactures is too much risk for for me. To me, it’s like getting fuel for your new Corvette. Are you going to pull into a reputable station with clean parking lot and nice store, or are you going to the one across the street to the station that looks like it’s on its last days, pumps are dirty, parking lot filthy, trash cans over flowing, but you can save 10cents a gallon?

hbar314

Have a few thousands rounds of Turan that I got in a few months ago, was going to run it through the M11 this weekend and happened to see this thread.
Googled and ran across lots of folks that had no issues, but a one guy on reddit that had two issues.
So decided to look at my ammo harder.

Different box style but pull a bullet to see if its belted and its not. Headstamp is TRN 23 for future reference.

Going to the range at lunch tomorrow and test it (probably a mag in semi watching if anything is abnormal) before I let it rip.

View attachment 39853
View attachment 39854

Shot 300 or so today through all my uppers and bolt configurations. No hiccups in shooting or how the magazines fed. Shoots like any other brass cased ammo I've run. Just thought I'd give feedback on actual use.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter