What`s a rachet top?

UZI SBR AWC

Commonly refered to as ratcheting top cover, smg top cover, many different name, same part. The charging knob/slide clicks as it (and bolt) are drawn rearward, so if you accidently let go of charge knob before locking bolt back via sear, the works will not slam shut and possibly fire if bolt manages to pick up a round. Must be pulled fully rearward to allow handle to return home.

Ratcheting top cover is a std part to the Uzi SMG. If it does indeed have a semi cover (non-ratchet), replace it now, though that mistake should not go out Vectors front door.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
You can also look at it the other way around - if I have a semi can I put a ratchet top cover on it? Why would you want to to that? Well, if you have a semi and you want to keep the cover looking nice, you might be in the market for a cheap cover you can use when you're shooting the gun. If you find a cheap surplus cover it's probably a ratcheting SMG cover and it will work on the semi; but you'll need to disable the ratchet - at least if you have a recoil buffer in the semi. The problem is that you won't be able to pull the bolt back far enough to trip the ratchet and thus the bolt won't go forward. It just takes a minute to remove the little pawl that engages the teeth on the underside of the cover. Then you've got a cheap cover that you can rough up.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the info on the semi conversion I was wondering about that myself since I bought a reciever and noticed that most (not all ) ratchet tops are cheaper.
and I want to put the thing together as cheap as possible.

later
Rich

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter