Wise Lite Inbound

Suprasonic

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Wise Lite 9mm Carbine (long barrel, short shroud). As I do with the other gun I purchase, I try and learn all the ins and outs. As I understand, the firing pins can break on these; is there something I should look for with this- marks, cracks, bends, etc? I plan to purchase a spare firing pin as a backup. Are there any other issues on the Wise Lites?

I also plan on SBRing this at some point;I read somewhere about someone on these forums making a different machined barrel retaining nut, more like the SMG version. Does anyone know who makes that?

Do most people cut off the 16” barrels, or does someone make shortened barrels?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I like mine, look around on here, there is info on a Sterling type endcap.

Suprasonic

Thanks Sniperdoc and OldBesty.

Recently, finding a Wise Lite has become a chore and prices have surged. I was outbid on three different auctions before securing this one. I hope it lives up to expectation.

Suprasonic

The gun comes with two mags, I have 3 more coming along with a mag pouch and a sling. I wouldn’t mess with Sten mags.

Thanks for the firing pin link- does anyone have experience with these firing pins?

agriebel

Be careful not to lose the firing pin recoil spring. It's orientation is important also. The firing pins can be a bit long, easy to shorten however.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
Be careful not to lose the firing pin recoil spring. It's orientation is important also. The firing pins can be a bit long, easy to shorten however.

Yep, I forgot about that, I was having misfires with mine until I reversed the spring, you wouldn't think that would matter but it does.

Suprasonic

Another question- has anyone refinished Sterling magazines? What was the original finish to them? I purchased three that are in okay condition- they seem to function fine, but could use a visual sprucing up. Were the originals parkerized gray?

APEXgunparts

If you dig back enough you will learn that thru the production history of the WLA Sterling there were 3 variants of the firing pin.
The 3rd type being the most common.
I forget the details, but when owners called WLA about warranty repair they needed the serial number to know which FP to send as a replacement.
Somewhere on this board I think there was a photo showing all 3 FP's.

Remember the simulated suppressor that WLA sold?
It replaced the barrel nut and covered the entire exposed barrel.
Those were pretty cool accessories.

Richard

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Another question- has anyone refinished Sterling magazines? What was the original finish to them? I purchased three that are in okay condition- they seem to function fine, but could use a visual sprucing up. Were the originals parkerized gray?

Mins came with 2; 1 looked refinished (matte black), the other looked Parkerized and showed some wear.

APEXgunparts

Suprasonic

Thank Richard; I’ve gotten stuff from Apex in the past and have been very satisfied.

Here’s a strange question- how much should a Wise Lite Sterling weigh? I’m meaning the long exposed barrel version.

I received mine today, and as a procedure, I’ve been documenting serial numbers and weighing each gun. I got 8.5 lbs with the empty magazine in place. I read somewhere that one of the criteria the MoD had was the sterling weigh no more than 6lbs. . I’m wondering where the 2 extra pounds came from; I’d be curious to know what smg version really weighs. I was expecting it to be a feather, but it seems to have more mass than I thought.

Suprasonic

Interesting update: I pulled the 16” barrel and collar and reweighed the Wise Lite; 6.12lbs with an empty magazine in place. How much does the smg barrel weigh?

Last edited:

OldBesty

Interesting update: I pulled the 16” barrel and collar and reweighed the Wise Lite; 16.12lbs with an empty magazine in place. How much does the smg barrel weigh?

Does historical weight of an L2A3/mk4 include an empty magazine being in place?

Additional engineered differences exist between a FA sterling and SA sterling beyond what you seem to be considering.

The main contributing factors to extra weight are the extended length of the barrel, the barrel nut, and presence of additional metal in both the receiver and trigger assembly as required for the firearm to not be considered FA receiver by ATF. Perhaps variation in the recoil spring assembly also contributes. There is also modification to the bolt, firing pin assembly and cocking handle.

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
The problem with converting to the SMG barrel is front trunnion by itself is not strong enough for the semi-auto setup.

Once you remove the rear (Mk6 type semi) trunnion all the force of the strong semi-auto spring propelling the heavier bolt forward is just too much for the front trunnion to take. You’ll be lucky to get 1,000 rounds through it before the front trunnion comes lose and/or the receiver cracks around it.

The light front trunnion (barrel support) worked in the full-autos because of the lighter springs and an API of sorts. They put very little load on the trunnion (barrel support).

If you really want to SBR your WLA sporter, I’d recommend shortening the barrel it came with. That way you keep the Mk6 Sterling rear trunnion that’s designed to take the forces of the semi setup.

Suprasonic

Good information Traveler, thanks. Out of curiosity, is anyone making replacement barrels for the semi-auto Wise Lite? Just in case I want to keep the original intact.

DistalRadius

Can the SMG barrel be lathed to work with the semi-auto receiver? Trying to envision what you're describing. I was considering purchasing one of the Indianapolis Ordnance semi-auto kits but the lack of semi-auto barrels has me pondering what would be required in order to complete it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter