Your MAX-11A1/15 is ready!

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
25 rounds of 45 is good for me.

I was hoping someone made a 45 conversion for AR15 mags like CMMG does for 9mm. How many 45 acp rounds can 40 rd Magpul mag hold?

Did anyone test 45 acp with the Max-11/15?

I did not try .45 acp but I did develop an adapter that uses 10mm or .45 acp Baby Eagle/ Tanfoglio / EEA mags in a standard ar15 mag well. If you want to borrow the adapter and a mag for testing let me know. This was for DI applications not blowback.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Mike, Did you pick the EEA 45 mags because they worked with the 45 DI bolt?
Did you make your own magwell AR adapter or is it another companies product?

I was looking at using a 40 rd AR Magpul mag shell for use with 45 acp and the 45 acp CMMG bolt barrel system. Maybe that is too much work.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Mike, Did you pick the EEA 45 mags because they worked with the 45 DI bolt?
Did you make your own magwell AR adapter or is it another companies product?

I was looking at using a 40 rd AR Magpul mag shell for use with 45 acp and the 45 acp CMMG bolt barrel system. Maybe that is too much work.

I have a 10mm and 45acp di upper from Ron (RWMExtreme) and a large frame glock ar lower that I sbr but I was bored one day and since I had Babyeagle in 45acp and a EEA in 10mm I decided to make my own adapter since no one else was making them for these mags and I have a bunch of them. DI 45acp uses a really really short gas system like right against the barrel nut short. I have not messed with the Cry Havoc system but that is something to consider but it sounds like you are wanting to go rdb.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I think RDBB is 1 of 3 options. RWM or MA 45 systems seem to be proofed. I was wondering how the 45 DI would work with the Cry Havoc barrel extension. CH does offer a short pistol kit but I think the gas tube is longer than the RWM system. That's kinda why I was looking at the CMMG RDBB barrel and carrier. It does not need a gas tube but is not exclusively blow back. I just don't know if the CMMG bolt and cam pin will work with the Lage carrier.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve got a cmmg rdbb 9mm upper and a Max11a1/15, I’ll see if the cam pin works in the Lage carrier when I get home tomorrow.

Garrett

25 rounds of 45 is good for me.

I was hoping someone made a 45 conversion for AR15 mags like CMMG does for 9mm. How many 45 acp rounds can 40 rd Magpul mag hold?
It's not currently in production, but Uzi .45 mags will work in a VM-HiTech mag block. And while those mags are expensive and of limited capacity, I fund the 22-round Promag .45 Uzi mags work well in both the Uzi and the Reising.

SecondAmend

It's not currently in production, but Uzi .45 mags will work in a VM-HiTech mag block. And while those mags are expensive and of limited capacity, I found the 22-round Promag .45 Uzi mags work well in both the Uzi and the Reising.

Olympic Arms made their proprietary AR magwell form factor polymer mags which include a LBHO trip in .380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, and 10mm for at least ten years before they went out of business in early 2020. IIRC, the high capacity .45 ACP mags held 17 rounds. Prior to that, for .45 ACP they used an Uzi .45 ACP mag with an adapter welded on. I have an Olympic Arms AR-15 .45 ACP upper and the polymer mags.

AR magwell pattern form factor adapters that use 1911 pattern .45 ACP mags are available from at least one source. 1911 mags can be had in a number of extended capacity ranges, including a 28 round drum. I don't know if they are still available, but 30 round 1911 stick mags used to be made.

Stern Defense sells an AR magwell pattern form factor adapter for M & P .45 ACP mags.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer. I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. I do not have a website or online videos. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only; and products or services were purchased by me from regular commercial sources.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Just a thought, this might be better in a separate thread so it might be easier to search. The geometry of the CMMG rotary delayed blowback pin slot in the carrier has a different path than a standard carrier. The pin will work but I don't know how well the bolt will function. I have a direct impingement .45 upper. The gas port is just ahead of the chamber. With the diameter of the bore and the low volume of gas, I don't think that system would handle very much loss of gas and still function. You might have better luck with 10 mm.

Scott

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Looks like Scott beat me to it. Sorry, I was out of town with work, and just got a chance to see.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
The Cry Havoc system adds about 1.4" to the hand guards. Is that enough to interfere with the .45 DI gas system?

bplate.jpg

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I also don't think it will work.

Does the CMMG 45 RDB bolt and barrel work with standard AR 15 uppers? Why would it not work with the Lage carrier? Too much resistance?

To be honest, Im more interested in the 45 Max-11a1/15 upper than a 22LR. I really want to get mak91's 22 upper for the A1.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
I think the cam path is on a different angle on the cmmg bolt carrier. Your best option may try to make the cmmg bcg work with the Lage upper. Maybe shorten it and some how attach the sear catch and irm recoil system. I have the m10 irm bcg but not the a1 so I can only assume it maybe shorter but of the same design.

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
One of the problems with using the CMMG carrier is that Lage system uses a different bolt length to carrier measurement than even a standard AR15. I'm not sure how the different CMMG cam pin path would affect that.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
It is my understanding that the cam path change is to give the carrier more thrust for improved cycling in the CMMG system. I own both CMMG 9mm and 45 upper. At least on a visual inspection, I don't see a difference between the two carriers, but I do see a significant difference in cam path geometry between the CMMG RDB carriers and standard 5.56 carriers. Since the Max-11/15 uses standard AR-15 style carriers, that might be an easier swap?

Could some kind of .45 caliber conversion be done with the Max-/15 series? I would think so, but IMHO there will be significant lack of mag capacity, and mechanical/engineering limitations to current AR-15 based systems.

This is my opinion, but straight blowback .45 sucks. Because of the mass of the 230 grain bullet, the increased dwell time transfers more energy into the bolt/buffer combination. To keep the bolt closed, because of the increased dwell time, the mass of the bolt/ buffer combination must be increased. This increase in mass tends to have more energy in the bolt/buffer combination when it strikes the end of the buffer tube. I didn't find the experience pleasant, especially in full auto. Direct impingement is much more pleasant, but is very close to the minimum amount of gas for function. At least with my early RWE upper, ejection is very weak. Rotary delayed blowback has stronger ejection than my DI, but has a custom carrier with a different geometry of the cam path.

There is also the limitation of the standard magwell structure for .45 caliber magazines. Macon Armory has custom built 20 round steel magazines. Promag makes a steel Uzi style .45 magazine with 22 round capacity. There are a couple of different polymer UMP .45 style magazines available, but maximum capacity is 25 rounds. I also recall some guys cutting the additional plates off the sides of Grease Gun mags and squeezing them in a vice ever so slightly to get them to fit into an AR magwell. For those pursuing .45 in a Max-/15 upper, I sincerely wish you luck.

Scott

Last edited:

TSPC

UZI Talk Supporter
It is my understanding that the cam path change is to give the carrier more thrust for improved cycling in the CMMG system. I own both CMMG 9mm and 45 upper. At least on a visual inspection, I don't see a difference between the two carriers, but I do see a significant difference in cam path geometry between the CMMG RDB carriers and standard 5.56 carriers. Since the Max-11/15 uses standard AR-15 style carriers, that might be an easier swap?

Not a .45 but the Max-11/15 works with the 9mm CMMG radial delayed system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPyborTpZo0

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I remember that video. It's what made me think it was possible in 45.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I visited CANCON this weekend and played with 2 micro suppressed 4.5" CMMG AR22 select fire guns. I may need to revisit the open bolt CMMG 22LR project for the Max-11A1/15. They worked really well and were fun to shoot.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter