Ammo question

foundingMUTHER

I just bought my 3rd uzi, an action arms model A. It seems to shoot some ammo fine, but won't shoot others. Blazer doesn't jam, but Range ammo won't shoot. My buddy had some steel case 9mm which jammed. Should I just stick with Blazer? Does anybody have any good ammo advice or understand why some ammo won't work?

Jones

My experience with Blazer is that it's messy; lots of clean-up after shooting.
My Uzis prefer the heavier weight bullets and 9mm NATO over 9mm Para.
Not necessary to have a cleaning kit just for your ammo but wiping down the ctgs w/ a clean rag can't hurt-- especially with mil surp stuff.
Some mil surp ammo has a thin coating/preservative(?). Not a big problem with open bolts; but it can start coating a closed bolt chamber if the barrel is hot.
Most Uzis aren't fond of hollow points so I stick with FLJ.
Sometimes it's not all the ammo's fault; dirty mags where the follower kinda sticks can also lead to FTF problems.
Gunk and build-up in the receiver or the recoil spring bore can cause the bolt to drag.
If everything is clean and properly lubed, then ultimately it boils down to whatever ammo is the least prone to misfires, FTE/Es, FTFs,
or any other problems that make your day at the range less than fun.

Samuel_Hoggson

First, what do you mean by "jammed"? Failure to feed, chamber, extract, eject?? What is it doing or not doing. Kinda difficult to give good advice without a clear understanding of the problem.

Second, just to be clear, is this a semiauto Action Arms (closed bolt) or a conversion SMG?

Agree with Jones, tho.

foundingMUTHER

It's a semiauto AA, and there was a failure to fire. I guess jammed was the wrong word. I'd have to empty the chamber manually. Any specific brand you would recommend over blazer for uzis? My other are a .45 and pro pistol, so this is my first full size 9mm.

Thanks!

Last edited:

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
European ammo is typically hotter than American brands; Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot are high quality ammo manufacturers and their ammo tends to run better than Winchester white box, or Blazer which are notoriously under powered.

124 gr. projectiles are also ideal for subguns as the imparted force on the bolt will be greater compared to 115 gr.

Failure to fire however could be your firearm.

cajun 22

UZI Talk Life Member
Make sure the barrel nut is all the way tight. How deep is the dimple in the primer compared to other rounds fired? Clean the chamber with a chamber brush. Is the striker hitting with authority?

Just some things to check. Good Luck.

foundingMUTHER

OK! Thank you all for your help. I will get 124 European ammo and clean it out. My thought is that I had bad ammo but I'll change it and report back my results.

navgunner

UZI Talk Life Member
Sellier&Bellot makes wonderful ammo out of the Eastern Euro block Czech Republic.

With respect to open bolt subguns chambered in 9x19 I’ve had really good luck with both S&B’s 115g and 124g fmj. My personal preference is the higher pressure of their 115g. I know ppl like the heavier 124g but with S&B you actually get another 16.6% of kinetic energy with their 115g (which means more reliable cycling of those heavier bolts).

Of course… your milage may vary

Last edited:

pmf

My full auto uzi shoots anything with a ball type bullet. I buy whatever is cheap. S&B / Fiocci is nice ammo.

foundingMUTHER

Sellier&Bellot makes wonderful ammo out of the Eastern Euro block Czech Republic.

With respect to open bolt subguns chambered in 9x19 I’ve had really good luck with both S&B’s 115g and 124g fmj. My personal preference is the higher pressure of their 115g. I know ppl like the heavier 124g but with S&B you actually get another 16.6% of kinetic energy with their 115g (which means more reliable cycling of those heavier bolts).

Of course… would milage may vary
That's for the SMG, though. Would it be the same for Semi you think?

navgunner

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, FMJ (full metal jacket) is ball for purposes of this discussion. I used “FMJ” specifically because that’s how S&B
identifies it on their website.

In my opinion, the European ammo is better suited for these types of firearms because generally speaking, it’s more powerful (total foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle). Specific to the UZI, it doesn’t matter if we’re talking about the semi auto variant (striker fire, closed bolt) or the SMG (open bolt). When either shoots, it still has to move that heavy mass of a bolt to the rear. This is by design because the UZI’s have non-locking bolts.

Someone else please help me out if I missed anything. I’m doing the best I can and I don’t know everything.

foundingMUTHER

This is very helpful. I want to buy 9mm in bulk, so now I know which ones to try first. Thank you for narrowing it down for me. I'll shoot through a box of each recommendation and then buy the best in bulk.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter