Can a fake suppressor be converted into a real one?

WarHound1

most fake suppressors are solid otherwise they would be way more expensive to have threaded caps on both ends and it would be a grey area for most manufacturers. They would only be missing the baffles.

hfoster223

I think u could convert a fake suppressor into a sbr blowgun, then use it to hunt wabbits

hfoster223

Use a fake suppressor and aguila subs and then you can have simulated suppressed fire

SecondAmend

Screw a fake suppressor on the gun, point the gun at a target and say, "FFT, FFT, FFT"; and when the target is obviously unscathed, say, "Damn suppressor shifted the point of impact way off." No tax stamp or ammo needed.

E. Blake

How inefficient?

The bbl doesn't have a permanently attached suppressor, it has a short threaded bbl with a large diameter tube permanently attached to make it legal length. The removable suppressor threads onto the bbl threads down inside the tube, fitting inside the outer tube. Makes the OAL short without needing a second stamp for the SBR while still allowing a removable suppressor.

As for converting a fake, I have seen two types. Solid metal that is only one step above starting out making your own tube from bar stock, and the old MAC style ones that were a simple threaded tube with an outer tube secured with a welded washer at each end. Nothing there to convert to a modern suppressor design. Much easier to start with a Maglite or other similar threaded tube if you don't want to use plain tubing.

There was a third type seen on the early GSG MP5SD .22 copies: Hollow outer tube with ends designed to attach and fit over the thin bbl. ATF ruled it a suppressor as all one would have to do is vent the bbl and you would have a crude, inefficient suppressor. Recalled by the manufacturer.

I've received my approved Form 1 so I've got the green light to build a suppressor. My question is this: how inefficient is it just to vent the barrel and use the space inside the current tube? If the vented barrel was wrapped with copper mesh, would that sufficiently diffuse the gas to significantly reduce the muzzle report?

slimshady

The original GSG fake suppressors have all been recalled by the importer due to ATF classifying them as suppressors. You should not have one to use, but hypothetically it would reduce the sound over unsuppressed. The original AWC suppressed Ruger rimfire rifles used ported bbls with a bulkhead in the middle. The rear chamber used a roll of screenwire and the front was packed with fiberglass. Their similarly designed Ruger MKII pistol design used strips of Chore Boy packed into it. With the larger volume of the GSG can I would say they would likely be pretty darn impressive if executed properly.

The problem is there is no removable endcap, and no room to wrap the bbl and still allow the can to slide over the bbl. with the original GSG tubes. Just venting the bbl into the empty space would reduce the sound, but not as much as if it was properly packed.

However, if the tube was modified so it had a removable front cap, you could pack it after it was slid over the bbl. Or just start with a new tube, which is more likely since the originals are supposed to be long gone.

Here are the two manuals for the AWC designs, you can easily see how they were made.

https://awcsilencers.com/files/2014/10/awc-tm-r10.pdf

https://awcsilencers.com/files/2014/10/awc-tm-mk2.pdf

BTW, when you are porting a bbl the easy way to eliminate burrs in the bore is to drive a bullet under the spot where you are drilling. Use a sharp drill, and go all the way through both sides of the bbl. When you drive the bullet out there will be nothing but smooth metal inside.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Design will be dictated by what gun you are shooting on.

IE : rifles do well with the 60 degree cones.
Subguns do well with K or M baffles

22 can get away with freeze plugs or fender washers.

Mono core is a generic that works OK on everything but is great at nothing special.

So it depends what you put for Cal on the F1? and length will also help dictate baffle design.

Just some thoughts.

Another important factor to consider is what tools do you have to make your can?

I only have on F1 can built out of SS there are pix around here of it on my 8.5 SBR somewhere.

Rich

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter