Can you make tracers?

dannyk45

UZI Talk Supporter
Before I start if this is illegal tell me, delet my post etc. I saw a book at the gun show how to make tracers I did not buy it. Can you make these safely and easily?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
"Ted in Tallahassee" posted on Subguns a few years back about this.
He was able to do it. He even wrote up documentation about it. I downloaded it but never tried it. It looked like a lot of work to me...but everything is relative.
I don't think it was easy. I think I recall it taking some trial and error for Ted as well. I don't think it was illegal to do but I'm no expert on that either.
Maybe post a WTK on subguns paging Ted.

SHURESHOT

UZI Talk Supporter
you can buy tracer bullets and make you own that way they are cheaper than ball in 30 cal. It is illegal to shoot them on National Forest land in Az. I know a few guys who got $75 tickets, guess it is only if you get a cop who is a prick... he could have said no tracers and that would have been that (maybe the quota was low that day):laugh

dannyk45

UZI Talk Supporter
Patriot said:
Yes I can make tracers. No, I don't make tracers. Too much work, and I don't like starting fires at the range.

How's it done?

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
dannyk45 said:
How's it done?

Well for the short, how to list.... It is not a very easy undertaking... I read about it a while back because I was interested in doing it myself....

Lets start with you need to have a reloading setup.... Then you need to take some bullets with a lead base... Either a FMJ or lead bullet with an exposed lead base... You need to slightly hollow out the base to make room for the chemical mixture... (without make the bullet out of balance)

Then you need a hydraulic press with preferably a gauge to measure the applied pressure... I don't remember the approximate pressure to start with... You put the bullet in a mold to hold it and keep it from getting distorted under pressure... Then put in the amount of tracer chemical... With the press you apply force to compress the chemical into the back of the bullet... (you need the right amount of pressure or the chemical will fall out under the high pressure of firing) Was told to make a few different amounts of pressure and see how they perform.

Then reload like a normal bullet... It is a pain to make but once you get it setup right you can do some neat stuff.... Different chemicals... would make different colors... Some are much easier to be seen... And some are easier to ignite... The book you were refering to would probably give you the formulas for colors...

Making tracers is legal for personal use... Not for resale (unless you have a license for selling ammo)... And it has to be legal to shoot them in your area...

Boomer1961

Definitely not easy.

Very time consuming as for the homebrew it involves drilling each individual bullet.

After much reading and research on this topic.

1) You could buy tracers, its like 50 cents to $1 a round at most places for 9mm, more for rifle caliber

2) Make your own, very time consuming. Thanks to the unpatriotic act from George Dubya the Bush Junior the chemicals are no longer easy to find and they document your name and everything just as if you bought the ammo so what is the advantage. Definitely cheaper if than buying but only if you are an illegal immigrant and your time is worth $2.50 an hour

3) preferred, strangely most states do not regulate the bullet, and you can stil buy them pretty cheap. Mostly as "PULLS" but I figured some time back you could buy bullets at less than 5 cents a round buy small sellers who will not ask for your drivers license, credit card, height, weight, and shoe size.

Definite fire starters. Only safe to shoot during the winter when everything is wet. Illegal in like 12 states last time I looked many years back. Worse of all in some states like CA it is a felony so please be careful. Kind of silly to loose your freedom, gun rights, and ability to make a decent living and supporting yoru wife and kids because you wanted to go ooohhh......aaaaahhhh.....when you fired your bullet. Much more fun to cuddle up with the wife at night than being afraid that big bubba with the big deeeiick takes a liking for you in prison just because you wanted to impress your friends at the range with your red or green glowing bullets that really only look cool at night anyways.

If you are in a gun friendly state and have your own property then go for it. If not think about your wife and kids and find a more friendly diversion in your gun hobby.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

TrippHammer

I have never heard that type of explanation on how to make tracer projectiles.

I purchased 700 69g tracer bullets for like $70.00.
As long as you use a good extruded powder the tracer will light up just fine.

You have to use an extruded powder or the tracers won't work.

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Boomer1961 said:
Worse of all in some states like CA it is a felony so please be careful. Kind of silly to loose your freedom, gun rights, and ability to make a decent living and supporting yoru wife and kids because you wanted to go ooohhh......aaaaahhhh.....when you fired your bullet. Much more fun to cuddle up with the wife at night than being afraid that big bubba with the big deeeiick takes a liking for you in prison just because you wanted to impress your friends at the range with your red or green glowing bullets that really only look cool at night anyways.

If you are in a gun friendly state and have your own property then go for it. If not think about your wife and kids and find a more friendly diversion in your gun hobby.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

I guess the same explanation can be given for firearms in general... Why do you need them... If you are in Kalifornia it is a felony if you don't wipe twice so I wouldn't even think of living there....

tommygun2000

You can make them, but its not really worth the time, effort or expense. Pulled tracer bullets are cheap.

Note: They are very, make that HIGHLY likely to start a fire if there is any flammable material around the backstop.

Can't remember a single time firing tracers that at least one fire wasn't started causing a ceasefre on a military range.

As a civilian, I've fired only two tracer rounds out of a .50bmg rifle. One went into the berm without incident the other broke apart and the tracer element went up and over the back of the first berm and started to ignite some leaves. It didn't get far as I was watching closely and put it out before it got larger than a foot in diameter.

The can of tracers went back into my vehicle....I don't need the hassle.

dannyk45

UZI Talk Supporter
I"ven ever seen a place to buy them or I would. 9mm pulled bullets. Any suggestions.

TrippHammer

SBR Ammunition.

WWWSBRAmmunition.com

They have LaserMatch Tracer ammunition in pistol calibers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter