Comparing the springs from a 25 round magazine to a 32 round magazine

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I started to have issues at the range with my full auto with failure to feeds using 25 round mags. I was using magazines that I’ve never used before some were brand new. I took the magazines apart and compared the springs to a 32 round magazine spring and they were the same size. I discovered all of this after I did a complete takedown cleaning and lubing my Uzi, because it always ran 100% with no issues. It just goes to show you when you’re having problems. Check your magazines.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes. The follower was putting too much pressure on the bolt, and it wouldn’t move freely in the receiver.

Slowmo

Might be worth reaching out and asking RTG about the issue.

I've also bought ones from Apex that have worked fine so far.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought them about six months ago I never use them. They were listed as new when I bought them. Very disappointing because I bought from them before and never had any issues but I’m sure they’ll tell me six months is a long time and there’s nothing they can do about it now.

Slowmo

I bought them about six months ago I never use them. They were listed as new when I bought them. Very disappointing because I bought from them before and never had any issues but I’m sure they’ll tell me six months is a long time and there’s nothing they can do about it now.
You are probably right, but you can't be sure if you don't ask. I think RTG has a presence on this forum, but I can't recall the screen name.

pmf

I'd contact RTG. That guy is honest and grades whatever he sells very conservatively. If there's a problem, he'll want to know about it. 25-rd mags are all I use in my uzi. I never have a problem with them. Seems to me that the spring should be shorter. I'm too lazy to check it right now (I have a butt ton of 32-rd mags).

Andrew H.

I can confirm that 25rd magazine springs are shorter than 32rd.
I compared a few when re-parkerizing my surplus stash.

navgunner

UZI Talk Life Member
I agree with @Andrew H. … the 25rd magazine springs are indeed shorter than the 32rd. It shouldn’t be too difficult to get sorted if you’re up to it. I recommend cutting them down and you should be good to go. Let me know if you need want to go down this path and I’ll get a coil count for you so you know where to cut.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I agree with @Andrew H. … the 25rd magazine springs are indeed shorter than the 32rd. It shouldn’t be too difficult to get sorted if you’re up to it. I recommend cutting them down and you should be good to go. Let me know if you need want to go down this path and I’ll get a coil count for you so you know where to cut.
Thank you.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
It looks like they were repainted, because sliding it in and out of the lower housing the paint scratched off

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Repainted and incorrect springs? Sounds like a deal I'd have gotten. LOL
Well, as long as the paint is halfway holding up, you should be fine.
Anxious to hear what you do with the springs? While lobbing off some coils should fix the feeding issue, my only concern would be the ends? I'd def cut from the follower side, and then maybe heat and bend the floorplate ends into a flat?
As an aside, all my IMI 32 rd mags have a 32 stamped into the internal floorplate locking plate. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention this? Not sure why, as I assume those plates are identical in 32, 25 or 20 rd mags?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter