Converting my FA to SA

davep32618

UZI Talk Supporter
All,

Here is the stupid question of the day. I bought my B&G registered bolt gun about a year back (for $5600, which I thought was a good deal). It runs like a top, FA, SA, however, what would it take to make the recevier a "legal" SA if I so choose. If the lower has to be changed back, then that's a NoGo, but if it is just acquiring a semi-bolt, then I would consider it. I mention this as I would like to store the bolt away from the receiver, but a friend told me I would have an illegally converted semi if I did that. Sounds stupid but believeable (knowing some of the ridculus gun laws that are on the books). I prefer if some bastard is going to get it that he has to really work for it.

Thanks,

Dave:patriot

P.S. I thought the title of my post should get some attention!:jester

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
If it's a host for a registered bolt then the bolt blocking rail should be still in the reciever and your bolt is slotted.

Check out the link below:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter61.txt

Notice the text towards the bottom:
"The altered trigger housing assembly that would be removed from the
firearm is in itself a combination of parts designed to convert a
weapon into a machinegun, hence, is a "machinegun" as defined in
the NFA. The assembly would have to be destroyed upon removal/
separation from the firearm."

If you want to seperate the registered bolt from the receiver, I'd take the lower off and keep it with the bolt.
Your receiver should have the rail and so it is just a standard title 1 semi receiver.

davep32618

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks, good idea. It does still have the blocking bar in place, so that is easy enough.

Quarterbore

UZI Talk Life Member
I am no expert here... but remember you need the semiauto grip, semiauto bolt and striker, and the semiauto barrel. Your short barrel without the bolt would be an illegal Short Barreled Rifle!

davep32618

UZI Talk Supporter
Again, very good points, to hell with it. If "they" break in (doubtful, but you never know), they can have it and then I will be the first one telling the press how I followed the law to the letter and then some (of course I will be crucified as a gun nut or whatever). Had common sense been applied, such an item would not have been lost.

I guess the best thing is just if I wanted to store it that way would to have the "semi" recevier by itself and the FA parts tucked away elsewhere, but as usual when it comes to regulation, our government has blown it and it is just easier to keep it one piece. :rail

Piddler

I don't understand why you would want to take it apart.
If you want to shoot semi, flip the switch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter