Drum Magazines

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
How did you get 45ACP in the Suomi drums? (Am I an idot for not checking to see if there is enough wiggle room in there?)

I've built a drum for the Reising that uses the Colt drum like smec_289 shows but its a PITA. Since it doesn't wind back, you can't have a 'pusher' of linked dummy rounds to go up the tower. You have to insert groups of dummy rounds down near the center, take them out of the top when done and put them back in the center when reloading. It will be a PITA compared to a Suomi mag.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
There is not space
How did you get 45ACP in the Suomi drums? (Am I an idot for not checking to see if there is enough wiggle room in there?)

I've built a drum for the Reising that uses the Colt drum like smec_289 shows but its a PITA. Since it doesn't wind back, you can't have a 'pusher' of linked dummy rounds to go up the tower. You have to insert groups of dummy rounds down near the center, take them out of the top when done and put them back in the center when reloading. It will be a PITA compared to a Suomi mag.
There is not enough room in a stock suomi or ppsh drum for 45 acp.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Does anyone know if there's plans to have a production run or ever has been a production run for magwell drum feed magazines for the Mac family? I know Lage has the uppers for the Suomi drums but why not any magazines for the standard Mac’s magwell ?
They existed but are about as much as a drum upper from Lage now as they are rare.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Does anyone know if there's plans to have a production run or ever has been a production run for magwell drum feed magazines for the Mac family? I know Lage has the uppers for the Suomi drums but why not any magazines for the standard Mac’s magwell ?
Its really not a good design. With the taller mag well of the macs you have a lot of filler rounds that take away from the true mag capacity. For a m11/9 you'll have about 20 filler rounds to make up the tower length so a 70 round drum now is down to about 50 rounds of fire-able ammo. A stick shockwave 50 round mag has the same capacity and is much cheaper.

Garrett

Its really not a good design. With the taller mag well of the macs you have a lot of filler rounds that take away from the true mag capacity. For a m11/9 you'll have about 20 filler rounds to make up the tower length so a 70 round drum now is down to about 50 rounds of fire-able ammo. A stick shockwave 50 round mag has the same capacity and is much cheaper.
Not correct.

You have the same number of usable rounds as what you get in an unmodified drum. The filler rounds just make up for the additional distance the cartridges have to travel up the tower.

For example, an unmodified Suomi drum holds 71 rounds. A Suomi with an M11 feed tower will have 71 rounds plus ~20 filler rounds. When you are done shooting a full mag, you will have fired 71 rounds and will have ~20 rounds remaining in the feed tower.

Galil#1

So Gentlemen... Where/Who makes and sales drum mags for the Reising 50/55 SMG... Thompson .45 drum based? Thanks

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Not correct.

You have the same number of usable rounds as what you get in an unmodified drum. The filler rounds just make up for the additional distance the cartridges have to travel up the tower.

For example, an unmodified Suomi drum holds 71 rounds. A Suomi with an M11 feed tower will have 71 rounds plus ~20 filler rounds. When you are done shooting a full mag, you will have fired 71 rounds and will have ~20 rounds remaining in the feed tower.
You are correct Garret, I think I am still dealing with some covid brain fog. The drums that have the mag body attached to the drum should have the full round count available. I've been working on a 3d printed am180 drum and had the bb adapter on my mind when I posted. In its case the rounds in the mag body are just filler and drop the available round count accordingly.

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Last edited:

Galil#1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you Scott.

O seen on other MG site, he passed away earlier this year. Rest in Peace Mr. Bitikofer.

Last edited:

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
I built this years ago but have just started using it. Much easier than old vector style.

EEE.jpg

FFFF.jpg

GGGG.jpg

Galil#1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ski what is that? IF for a GG, how many .45 rds. does it hold? Looks real neat!

19Steve67

When I see what obviously highly skilled people like skiboatsp have created ( like the drum pictured above
for the PPSH 41 ) I ADMIRE their mechanical abilities and I am envious of their abilities at the same time.
IMPRESSIVE work skiboatap!!!

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
When I see what obviously highly skilled people like skiboatsp have created ( like the drum pictured above
for the PPSH 41 ) I ADMIRE their mechanical abilities and I am envious of their abilities at the same time.
IMPRESSIVE work skiboatap!!!
Thank you very much. I have to say everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I am blessed with these.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter