Evil Stepped 9mm Case is Back! MAXXTech

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Buyers and Reloaders B.O.L.O.

MAXXTech is using the stepped 9mm cases now like FM and Ammoload. This stuff will leave a ring in the chamber causing OOBD with open bolt SMG.

Beware.

JJrWz42.jpg

nrQzvdN.png

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I 100% agree.
I was shooting my buddies 9mm AR pistol and one of these cases separated in the chamber and the next round tried to chamber but couldn’t. If I was shooting an open bolt gun it would have been bad, really bad. I had to use a metal pick to get the separated case out and it was a perfect ring.

I was sorting brass yesterday and I found TWO stepped cases. One was a maxxtech (higher step) and I can’t remember the other manufacturer (had a lower step). I’ll add the manufacturer name if I find the case. I can’t remember if I saved or trashed them. I took pictures and forwarded them to my friend. See below.

1-F04-C87-B-E7-C0-4-E02-91-C8-BDE873718738.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

slimshady

Why in the hell would they make a case like that? The extra brass multiplied by the millions of cases turned out has to be a substantial amount of $$$!

Fulliautomatix

Maintain pressure with less powder, maybe? With a given bullet length, you could design that step height so you'd never have to worry about seating depth. But yeah... seems like an awful lot of work and really screws up reloading.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
See pics below, click to enlarge.
It was an FM head stamp (freedom munitions).
Be careful of this head stamp.

BF0487-D9-FEBF-4-CFD-88-EB-C0-C18-BFF04-E7.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
IMT head stamp too.

Because of these cases, we now have to check every single case that is picked up.

A member on another forum was mentioning that there is a lot of junk brass 9mm cases around now. Internal taper varies considerably and can affect what length bullets are loaded. FC is good for extra heavy bullets and CBC can only be 115 grain or less. The 115 grain CBC a friend used this weekend was subsonic, no crack from my suppresses G19. Weak stuff.

Strangeranger

At the range we've had Maxxtech .45 ammo blow up on an OOBD due to a case separation in a Thompson M1A1, jam a Reising with a powderless squib, and blow a Glock apart with a probable double charge. Their ammo is beyond JUNK.

Garrett

This stuff will leave a ring in the chamber causing OOBD with open bolt SMG.
Yeah, it can be exciting. Especially when shooting suppressed.

(PewpewpewpewPOW!)

No damage to me or the Uzi. And no, an unfired primer isn’t still in the case. It’s an optical illusion. The primer was blown out.

CcKktU8h.jpg

planner

MAXXTECH and OOB discharge

WOW. Just the day before yesterday, I took my 9mm AR pistol to the range and using some reloads bought at a show, I had an Out-of-Battery discharge: the case separated and left and almost perfect tube in the chamber, just small pieces in the lower, upper and on my right hand AND a bullet stuck in the bore just behind the FH. No injury or damage to the gun, but the AR was out of action, due to not having a long enough rod to push the bullet out. This happened on the second round fired. Did not find the head of the case intact enough to read, and didn't't save the small pieces.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
When did this practice start?

I've never heard of this brand of ammo other then this thread ever seen a case formed this way.

I only reload and have yet to ever see this but most of my brass is high quality Mfg once fired stuff. I load it until lost or unusable.

But I will be checking for this stuff on any new cases given to me or picked up off the ground.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back to the law suit!

Rich

Last edited:

Garrett

I only reload and have yet to ever see this but most of my brass is high quality Mfg once fired stuff. I load it until lost or unusable.

But I will be checking for this stuff on any new cases given to me or picked up off the ground.

It can get mixed in with your range brass pretty easily. I've gotten to where I now take my cleaned 9mm brass and sort it all, using a 9mm ammo tray. I scoop the tray full of brass and shake it around. Nearly all will drop into the slots, mouth up. I can then shine a flashlight across the open mouths looking for the step. As an added bonus, it's easy to catch .380 or 9x18 while doing this as well.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
When did this practice start?

I've never heard of this brand of ammo other then this thread ever seen a case formed this way.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back to the law suit!

Rich

To keep my cost down on ammo I don’t buy brass and rarely buy ammo (except 22LR) I usually have friends give me brass or when I shoot with people I do the legwork and police the range. In return, I get the brass. Probably two years ago my neighbor who’s a doctor gave me a lot of mixed 9mm brass and while inspecting it notice a lot had the stepped cases and decided to not use them. Approximately a year ago I must have missed one of the cases while reloading and it seperated in my friend’s AR pistol.

Since then I’m always looking down into the case on the 1050’s second station (de-capping). You bc an easily spot them with enough light.

I’m not sure when it started but it’s been longer than two years. I’m surprised you haven’t ran into this yet, consider yourself lucky.
Just be careful, especially with an open bolt.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I just checked the 300 + 9mm cases I sorted and nothing like this crud is there.

Are they doing this with any other brass? how about pistol brass? A step like that will KB a rifle no problem.

Anyone see a factory box to see if there is mention of the step and that this crap is no good for reloading.

I don't buy factory ammo either unless it's 22 or 12 gauge so now I'm a little paranoid after seeing this.

Rich

ETA : just pulled this off of a site :

Whether you’re target shooting or practicing or just plinking, MaxxTech is the ideal ammunition for you. It’s not only reliable but it’s premium ammo at an affordable price. This 9mm load is a 115 grain, full metal jacket bullet, which is boxer primed. You get a 1150 fps projectile made with a new reloadable brass case. This is a box of 50 rounds.

Brass case and full metal jacket
15 grain
1150 fps
Box of 50 rounds

Maxxtech 9mm Ammunition PTGB9MMB 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket 50 rounds

No mention of a stepped case and that it can/will separate or that due to reduced case volume it runs the risk of higher pressures with stand powder loads.

It's also made over seas so that should be a indicator that it's sub par.

Rich

Last edited:

Strangeranger

I've had issues with GGG (Lithuanian) 7.62X51 separating in my M60. There's no step but the case wall is very thin just above the case head and very soft. If I ran more than a belt through the gun the ash buildup in the chamber would cause an occasional case to stick ever so slightly and the extractor rips the head off. No indication that the brass came apart during firing, it was a pure mechanical beheading. My working theory is that the soft brass had something to do with working in the fluted chambers of the HK rifles that the Lithuanians apopted after they got rid of the Russians. I do not have this issue with any other brass I run through the gun. It is exceptionally fond of Prvi Partisan but runs well with just about anything

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
This case design has been around for at least 3 years that I've known about it. It is a known safety hazard.

I first ran across it with Freedom Munition (FM) cases. I would really like to ask them why they made them and what they plan to do about the known safety risks of their product.

Strangeranger

...It's also made over seas so that should be a indicator that it's sub par.

Rich

S&B is made overseas and there's no better ammo available. So is Prvi Partisan. So is Lapua. So is Geco. So is Fiocchi.

FWIW Maxxtech is made in Bosnia

deanq

I guess everyone here is forgetting that the original 9mm case design was a stepped case, just like the picture?It's not a new design.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter