Flemming M11/22LR question

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Is there anyone with a flemming M11/22 conversion kit that can provide me with the dimensions for the operating rod? Diameter and length?

Thanks

har1340

Someone had a post over of Strum sometime ago who had issues with thier Fleming kit. Good luck.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Sorry only have the M10 mac attack flemming but hey it runs well.

I would guess they are different dims. since the lowers are different.

Flemming uppers are like internet dates.
More issues then a news stand.

Or the only upper that has severe daddy issues LOL

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Sorry only have the M10 mac attack flemming but hey it runs well.

I would guess they are different dims. since the lowers are different.

Flemming uppers are like internet dates.
More issues then a news stand.

Or the only upper that has severe daddy issues LOL
They are the same diameter for the M10 and M11 apparently. I had a friend look at his kits earlier and asked and he said that both kits had the same diameter rod but one was maybe a little longer than the other? I am well aware of the flemming reliability issues, pretty par for the course when it comes to basically any rimfire full auto conversion. I have seen units that run well, it just takes a little bit of work. If you are the type that tinkers, then you can get most anything running with enough elbow grease (and grinding).

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
The Fleming kits for the fat macs were also called M11-22 kits. Here is one of mine:20240122_145651.jpg

Last edited:

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
Recoil rod on mine looks to be 6/32" diameter, and 7-6/16" long from the tip to the front of the rear plate

Attachments

• 20240122_150315.jpg
    20240122_150315.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 4

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I'll check mine tomorrow then for you and see how it compares to blackbelt's dims.

Thanks for the info BB more then I knew before.

I bought a spare extractor from Flemming when he was alive.
Not the easiest person to deal with. ( whole thread story there)
But I'd rather not speak ill the dead and am just glad he made & converted what he did.
Have plenty of spare barrels and boosters that were offered when I bought my unit so I took them.

Anywho I'll pull it out and see what the recoil rod and spring measure out at.

SecondAmend

The Fleming (only one "m" in Fleming) .22 conversion upper I have is of the pattern that can be configured for either M11/9 or M11-380 use, wherein the front attachment lug is cut down when use in connection with an M11/9 is desired. With M11-380 use, the conversion has about 2 in. of front overhang. In any case, the recoil assembly is not altered for either application. The recoil rod is the same diameter as is the .380 ACP while the recoil spring and back plate are unique. I didn't count the number of coils, but the spring is not a cut down .380 ACP spring, rather the spring has fewer and more widely spaced coils. Also, for the .22 conversion, the back plate is steel sans a fiber, rubber, or urethane pad.

For reliable operation, I've had good luck with off the shelf Ruger 10/22 BX10, but not BX15 and BX25 magazines. Also, modified Ruger 10/22 BX15 and BX25 magazines and 30 round Champion magazines that have had the front and rear bolt path regions 'clearanced' to eliminate bolt stoppage or drag have worked well. Rate Of Fire is typically around 1000 RPM with either CCI MiniMag or AR Tactical ammo.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Last edited:

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
IIRC, I believe the reason a lot of people use 'Flemming' instead of 'Fleming' when talking about these units is because an early manual actually spelled Flemming with two M's. I believe it was just a typo. The later manual had the spelling corrected. I'm pulling all this from memory from long ago so I may be incorrect

SecondAmend

IIRC, I believe the reason a lot of people use 'Flemming' instead of 'Fleming' when talking about these units is because an early manual actually spelled Flemming with two M's. I believe it was just a typo. The later manual had the spelling corrected. I'm pulling all this from memory from long ago so I may be incorrect
While that may well be true, the spelling error is also commonly seen in ads and discussions about HK sears and the like too. And if one does a search on Gunbroker, it's best to use both spellings to capture all listings.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Count 57 coils on my spring not including the end 1/2 coil or the double wind end.
Rod is 8 3/4
Spring is 6 1/4 on my fancy ass pink lufkin tape.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
A note on my recoil spring being cut back to 86 coils:
I bought 3 of the M11-22 kits for M10's. I got 2 of them working flawlessly. The 3rd one came straight from the devil and I never could get it running correctly.
About the recoil spring-- I had to tune the kits for reliability, which included trimming the recoil spring. So, from Fleming the spring was longer.
I made fairly detailed posts years ago on this forum that covered getting these kits up and running. Most info should still be available here.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
rchaisch

One thing with my spring I'm almost postive about is it was cut due to the lack of a double coil on the one end.

Any chance you could measure and count coils and also see if it's a factory wound spring ( double coils on each end )

I ask because while Blackbelt has M11 upper and mine is a M10 it's a 31 coil difference and he knows he cut his.
Mine came to me as is and runs 100%. But 31 coils is a rather large spread.
Could just be wire diameter used for the flemming setup or it could be fleming tuned them once before shipping.
To late to ask flemmming now since he passed.

Pretty sure I got his name spelled right @ least once :)

Deerhurst

I want a Fleming.

For those that are keeping documentation on things;

Someone with one count coils, measure OAL, outer diameter and wire diameter. ID would be handy to make a mandel. That's basically all you need to have someone make you a spring to try.

If anyone has a lathe you can make a spring. It's kinda sketchy but works. The hard part is tempering it. I asked Mr Serbu about it one time. He suggested if I had nothing else I could use a toaster oven to temper the spring.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Deerhurst I have a spring winder attachment for my atlas lathe.
Never saw one for my emco 13x40. Or a taper attachment for that matter now that I think about it.

Not sure I'd pay todays asking price for a Mac or UZI 22 kit.
I sold the IMI 22 kit when I got the fleming kit due to no mags for the IMI kit and I only had two. Now they are close to 2k or possibly more.
Same with my M10 22 kit it was 600 and that was what I sold the UZI kit for.
Flemming kits are bring mad loot today also 1700+ last I saw.

I haven't checked yet but it looks like a UZI recoil spring might work.
And the rod too for that matter.
note: it would need cut to leangth and need a groove turned on the end to capture the C clip. Also the old rod would either need drilled out of the rear plate or just make a new rear plate.
It's only square thin sheet metal.

Anyone interested in,winding a spring should check out Quin's Utube vide.
Her channel is called blondihacks she's OK and really pushes the limits of her machines.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter