Front takedown pin hole slightly ovaling

ScubaLoser

I noticed my front takedown pin hole is ever slightly oval, presumably from usage and wear. The pin inserted without an upper has a very small play to it. Everything else about the lower looks to be in great shape. I cannot see any other wear points the be concerned about. Rear receiver plate looks to be perfect. There’s this reinforced receiver tab welded inside the lower where the front takedown pin goes, is this factory or did the previous owner add that to slow down the ovaling?

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
The reinforcement tab is factory.

I’d suggest reading this thread over.

OffMarksMan made (gave) a Delrin pin to me and it’s the best (cheaper) upgrade to have, IMO. Frankly, I’ve reached out to him a few times trying to buy one from him. I recall him telling me that they take a really long time to make and he doesn’t plan on making anymore. Hopefully, he’ll make another batch or someone else will. I only got one and I’m always changing it around between my M11 and my M11/9. You could always have someone make you one with a slightly larger (OD).

Or

You can just keep shooting it until it get so bad that you’ll have to have it repaired.

Don’t worry, it’s something that’s somewhat common.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve thought about it and I’m sure you could. I was going to design a solid pin (extra strength and easy) and have it stick a little farther out and just have a paper clip holding it in but just never got around to it.

You’d probably have to print it laying flat rather than vertical due to strength/layer separation. Obviously, use a filament that can take the heat.

SecondAmend

For the front takedown pin I use a hitch pin retained with a hitch pin clip.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

ScubaLoser

Wouldn't it be not a big deal to have someone like PS add some weld and drill a new hole? That said, any idea how many rounds you have through your lower?
I have no idea, I just recently took ownership of it. All the small internal components have been replaced by all Lage parts. Besides the front take down pinhole everything looks very mint.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
It might have been used with one of those early, non-Lage uppers that led to egging of the lower receiver. I wouldn't worry about it unless it causes issues. These guns are not precision instruments.

Roaster72

UZI Talk Supporter
It might have been used with one of those early, non-Lage uppers that led to egging of the lower receiver. I wouldn't worry about it unless it causes issues. These guns are not precision instruments.
When I bought my M11A1 in 2006, the hole was slightly oval. I ran several thousand rounds of 380 through it. When I got one of the first Lage 9mm uppers the hole was still sligthly oval. I then ran thousands more rounds of 9mm through it. When I got my Max 11A1/15 the hole was still slightly oval. I'm almost through my first 1,000 rounds of 5.56. I choose to believe the hole is work hardened at this point in time. Don't lose sleep over it. If you can resist messing with things, ship it to PS as others have said.

ScubaLoser

Thanks for the feedback yall! I guess I just won’t worry about it until it becomes an actual problem.

Krink545

Somebody should start making these again. I bought a set way back when for my M10 and my M11 from Alliance armament the thread on ends are Dilrin.

Attachments

• 20231027_145519.jpg
    20231027_145519.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 18

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
The reinforcement tab is factory.

I’d suggest reading this thread over.

OffMarksMan made (gave) a Delrin pin to me and it’s the best (cheaper) upgrade to have, IMO. Frankly, I’ve reached out to him a few times trying to buy one from him. I recall him telling me that they take a really long time to make and he doesn’t plan on making anymore. Hopefully, he’ll make another batch or someone else will. I only got one and I’m always changing it around between my M11 and my M11/9. You could always have someone make you one with a slightly larger (OD).

Or

You can just keep shooting it until it get so bad that you’ll have to have it repaired.

Don’t worry, it’s something that’s somewhat common.
That is total Bull^78t Really takes a long time to machine a take down pin? I am sorry I just could just not take this total deception.

Give me the spec,s and I will make. Sorry it,s Saturday night and just had to vent. But can still make!

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
It’s the same specs as an oem (2) piece takedown pin. You just make the outer part out of Delrin. They don’t take that long to “make”, it just takes a lot of steps to do it on a traditional lathe. If you have a cnc, it could spit them out in seconds. Knock yourself out…

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Delrin isn't so easy to machine.
Even harder with smaller parts speeds & feeds really matter with it.
Along with cutter setup.

That said I have no problem making hammer inserts for my delrin hammer.
But had zero luck turning crush washers I needed one time and just resorted to paying the 5 bux a washer.
I'm sure like any other material waste enough of it and time and would have gotten the washers turned out.

I'd just let the pin go for a bit until you got shooting the gun out of your system then send it off to Sam for a complete rebuild.

I did that 10 years ago or so and the gun still looks and preforms as new.
His work is excellent.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
That is total Bull^78t Really takes a long time to machine a take down pin? I am sorry I just could just not take this total deception.

Give me the spec,s and I will make. Sorry it,s Saturday night and just had to vent. But can still make!
I might’ve misspoke in regards to what OffMarksMan’s statement was to me.
If so, I’d like to apologize to OffMarksMan.
He might have meant that it wasn’t worth his time, as people wouldn’t like pay a lot for them. That being said, I still think it’s a great idea.

Deerhurst

I work with a lot of delrin. The lathe at work is garbage and the tooling is garbage still not a big deal to work with. My HLV makes quick work of materials like delrin.

The old PS pin type is the easiest to make. Probably 15 minutes or less with crappy tooling.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I am sure that there will be 10s of people who will want one. Especially if they cost more than $20. The metal ones cost $39 plus shipping from ftf. The Delrin pins are a really good option. Kick and I have run thousands of rounds with them. I think the key is getting a really tight fit (which is pretty hard to accomplish with all the variances in these sheet metal receivers made by multiple manufacturers over many years). I hope I’m wrong and you get lots of orders. It’s just not something I care to pursue. Good Luck!!!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter