Full length picatinny rail for Galil/R

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Good morning,

This is just a continuation of a previous thread:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showt...guys-use-to-mounts-a-red-dot-on-a-Galil/page3

So I finally got the rifle back from the gunsmith. Rifle mount fits snugly and doesn't look too awkward.

DP9qogP1.jpg

FDVR8b21.jpg

Link to short slomo shot showing rail stability
https://imgur.com/tFhV0GQ

I only test fired the mount for stability. My boresight's battery died, so I was unable to test it properly. I shall make a point of doing it this weekend.

Last edited:

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I forgot to add that the prototype was just under half a lbs for the ARM/R4 version and the carbine version an ounce less than that.

The production version will be somewhat lighter as it will include lightening cuts on the underside of the rail itself.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Not yet no. I will get the final design this week and with that I can ask for a quote for stamping dies and molds.

However I do make a promise that it will be much cheaper than anything else with similar capabilities.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Sorry for the late feedback Comloz, but the short answer is that likely it might be only towards the end of the year.

The longer answer – the design’s completed and it works. It weighs about 240 grams for the full-length rifle – half of that of the FAB defense. The parts used can be cast, so the cost is also considerably lower. It’s also designed to minimize damage, should you drop the individual componets, but they can be swopped out in under a few minutes if need be. The RAIL RETAINS ZERO after removal and reinstallation. So, I’m very proud to say that it looks as if we hit a home run on this one.

The cons – it is Galil-specific. It needs special tools to be installed. It’s straightforward, but the equipment needed isn’t in everyone’s garage. I’ll paste a picture of one of the tools tonight. The installation is permanent and most importantly, virtually everything is unique. I need to have several molds made. I need a bespoke screw that I can only buy by the pallet load. The total cost of tooling up is likely to be three or four B&T rifles. Jeff warned me about this, but it is somewhat surprising that the biggest issue isn’t designing the part that works, but to get it into production. I’m not soliciting anyone by the way, but this looks as if it’s going to be launched at the same time as the front trunnion. We’re also finalizing the design of an AR15 selector for an AK and an ability to swap calibers, but the latter two have no timeline attached to them.

*I promise to keep you guys in the loop as soon as there’s a tangible development that I’m allowed to disclose in more detail. It will be worth it.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Good evening, apologies on the incredibly long wait, but I can confirm the kits are currently being manufactured. We should have all the components within the next 60 days. I'm going to have 80 sets available to start off with, but this would be both for the South African market and anyone on the forum who might be interested. I've included a picture of the final sample we made a few months ago.

The price will be $110 a set. That'll include shipping via normal post with a tracking number. With this damn virus going on, I don't know where the postal systems will stand in two months' time. I'll only make these available for purchase as soon as I've received them and posted pictures showing them in action, but if you're interested, please PM me in the interim. Here are the specifics for the rails:

• 13 slots on the rear rail (All models)
• 17 slots on the front rail (R4/AR/ARM)
• 13 slots on the front rail (R5/R6/SAR)
• 200/230 grams weight, dependent on the configuration.
• Made from 6061 Aluminum.

We've marked where to cut on the rail if you want to fit it to a carbine.

IGNL7Kq1.jpg

I've censored part of the image that I can't show just yet - design protection still needs to be completed.

PS - The rail length fitted to the rifle in the picture is in fact incorrect. Since it's a SAR, the portion sticking over the gas tube ports should be cut off. As this is a 3D printed prototype, it's just for visual purposes only.

Last edited:

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Looking good! Can you use the portion on the gas tube without using the portion on the top cover?

The kit was designed to lock the rear rail into the front, but there's nothing stopping you from only using the front rail. The locking mechanism is tiny and can be removed.

solar

Does each set include the top cover and gas tube? If not, how hard is it to mount?

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
The kit consists of the mountings and the rails. Installing it will be via welding a few spots. The mounting is mild steel. I'll upload the link to a centering tool to help you install the rail in the perfect spot.

The kit can be installed with a spot welder and specialized attachments in under 10 minutes, but even if using standard welding equipment it should be pretty simple for someone who knows how to weld.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Here's the file of the centering tool:

https://grabcad.com/library/galil-rail-centering-tool-1

This is what it looks like:

You'll see we slightly lowered the height on the model posted on Grabcad, but it works quite well. Place the tool on the gas block side of the gas tube and with the flat cutout on the other side, the picatinny rail is perfectly centered. You can then clamp it down and weld the fixture into place. With the front rail fitted, you'll be able to use that to center the rear section of the rail. This just saves you the time and careful movement of having to use a level. A tool we designed for someone who might have to do multiple installations as quickly as possible.

Should also work for AK gas tubes, as the outside diameter is quite similar.

Fanie

Would it be possible to mount only the rear rail on the top cover without the front rail on the gas tube, but still with the locking mechanism on the gas tube?

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Would it be possible to mount only the rear rail on the top cover without the front rail on the gas tube, but still with the locking mechanism on the gas tube?

The locking mechanism literally screws into the front rail itself, so that's not possible with the current design. This is one of the few times where the extra real estate is required for it to work correctly. The front rail serves as an anchor to keep the rear rail locked in place.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Will the height of the rail allow for cowitness of the front site with a small red dot like an Aimpoint T1?

I've included a picture below of my Bushnell TRS-25 fitted. It's not been zeroed, but you can see the front sight through it. I could just barely not see through the rear sight.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I've included a picture below of my Bushnell TRS-25 fitted. It's not been zeroed, but you can see the front sight through it. I could just barely not see through the rear sight.

Correction - I was able to check a bit better in the daylight - you can see through the tube with the rear aperture, but the front sight is slightly blocked by an internal component of the RDS.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
First set of parts have been completed. Custom screws. Paid enough to have a decent weekend holiday, but totally worth it.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter