Full length picatinny rail for Galil/R

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
And here are some of them completed:

About 4-6 weeks away from having them in stock.

Last edited:

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Good evening everyone, as an update I can confirm that we've received most of the rail components, including the rails themselves. We are still waiting for two components from the factories before we can put them up for sale. These were meant to be sent last week, however there has been a delay and unfortunately I can only ask you again to give us a bit more time.

I have taken the below picture, showing what the same sight would look like fitted to a Type 56. A different attachment mechanism to that of the LM would replace your rear leaf sight and the rail itself has a slot cut out across the full length - 1.5mm x 1.5mm - to serve as your fixed backup sight. The benefit of this is that it sits low enough so that if you fit an optic, you would still be able to keep a cheek weld. Much lower than most other AK rail kits available.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
FINALLY.

I have all components in stock. Will be fitting it to my rifle - replacing the prototype set fitted some time ago, for testing, pictures an installation video.

Confirmed the final installation weight for the R4/Galil AR version as 252 grams.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I promise to post detailed and uncensored pictures soon, as the patent is almost in place. But I can confirm pricing:

Each set costs $105 + $35 shipping via DHL for a single set. I can accept payment via Paypal. This is shipping to anywhere in the USA. It is 3-day shipping, but with the global circumstances, that's not a given. There are no additional surcharges or taxes on the SA side and even though it is a tax-exempt item, I obviously can't control US customs.

I went to my gunsmith today to have my set installed. I received a question as to whether these fit the Micro Galil. The answer is - yes and no. No, the front rail is too long to fit to the Micro, but yes, the coupling nut already included in the kit that would substitute for the front rail, does. The coupling nut is for those who wish to reduce the rail weight to about 4oz, but in this case it's due to space.

The only concern I have is that the front rail already fitted in this picture, clearly sits lower than the kit's rail. This would bug me. It does not interfere with the standard iron sights.

Last edited:

Fanie

Thank you Slingshot, I received my set. Quality is really excellent.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Finally, a legal restriction has been lifted. My patent has been approved and I can now freely share all the details! That was a long wait to say the least.

This is what my personal rifle looks like - with the prototype rail attached. This was fitted about 18 months ago and it's been working quite well.

This is what the production version of the sets look like.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
There are two mild steel brackets - DC01 grade I've been told - that need to be welded and/or soldered into place. They're connected with a stainless steel anchor bar. This anchor bar serves two purposes - it has a friction fit that prevents horizontal movement at the front of the dust cover - addressing the biggest failing in the design - and secondly, it can tension the dust cover for in case there is any play between it and the gas tube.

What the kit looks like assembled:

The longer piece with the anchor bar fits onto the gas tube. The piece with the slot cut out fits to the dust cover. I moved it over to prevent any kind of fall damage if dropped.

Here it is placed on top of the old set, to show the similarities and differences.

For example the prototype set was fitted into place using pop rivets. I scrapped that and switched to angled washers due to give more material to hold the rail in place. The other big difference was switching from a milled tab as a connection to the anchor bar. We also adjusted the height between the two pieces, but I doubt that would be very clear.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I don't have a production set fitted to my rifle as I'm trying to source a new dust cover and gas tube - the prototype set can't be removed - but as the prototype set worked incredibly well, I'll guarantee this does as well. I'll post some videos when I take it out testing again.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Here is a different angle that shows how the rail fits into the brackets. The angled washers are also clear. This should also be an indication to not run the kit with the standard Galil bolt carrier, as it will likely strike one of the washers.

lcastillo

Slingshot,

Here is one solution with bolt carrier upright handle I found from SA R5 owner. Heating the stem up and bending it out at a 45 degree angle. That allows clearance from the base of the picatinny rail or base of optic mounted on the full length picatinny rail.

I tried to PM you but your inbox is full and will not accept email until you clear out some pm's.

Attachments

• R5 mod carrier 1.jpg
    R5 mod carrier 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 190
  • R5 mod carrier 2.jpg
    R5 mod carrier 2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 191

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I bent the handle on my rifle at the time when we fitted the prototype set. It wasn't done properly and it very quickly snapped off. I had it fixed afterwards.

It is a solution, but fitting an off the shelf bolt carrier is vastly better than risking breaking a modified one in the field. Besides, it looks better fitting a new one and I'm sure from a collector's perspective there's people who would find more value out of those vertical bolt carriers as-is.

comloz

Is it possible to install only the railed gas tube? The front part only
Finally, a legal restriction has been lifted. My patent has been approved and I can now freely share all the details! That was a long wait to say the least.

This is what my personal rifle looks like - with the prototype rail attached. This was fitted about 18 months ago and it's been working quite well.

This is what the production version of the sets look like.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Sure - the front rail is the critical part, so you can leave out the dust cover rail for the time being. I would just suggest you place a small grub screw in the gas tube rail, to protect the threads, for in case you change your mind in the future.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
My personal set is currently being fitted to a replacement gas tube - below is the old prototype set, showing what the brackets look like fitted to the rifle:

Below is a side view of the rail fitment to the gas tube. Here you see the centering tool in action. Very simply it just places the rail at the correct angle for welding. Take note that the rail had not been shortened yet at the time. The gunsmith had shortened it after the picture was taken, but I seem to not have taken a picture thereof.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Guys, if you wish to buy a set, please DM me. I can accept payment via Paypal and will do it under G&S, so you have that added protection. Shipment only via DHL, as they are the fastest.

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
Apologies for the lack of feedback - my gunsmith's been on leave and until he returns I've had to use a non-gunsmith workshop to install the components. I had to center the rail myself, hot glue it into place, put the bracket into a vise, lock it into place with a large drill bit and took it to the shop to tac weld. Have to come back home to center the dust cover rail. Will go back Monday to have the dust cover bracket spot welded into place. I took some pictures in the interim:

The front rail shortened to fit an LM5.

The bracket welded into place.

The front rail fitted. Rear rail is not welded. Yet.

To illustrate the full length version for the LM4 as well as the notch that needs to be cut to fit the LM5 & 6.

I'll hopefully be able to take it shooting next week. Just impossible to get the correct scope rings though :(

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter