Got my D-60's, what a pain in the azz to load!

10mmlover

I read through the instructions and found the instructions on the D-60s to be accurate. Loading was a learning curve on the first drum. The 2x pushing the lever after rounds 50 was interesting.

And this is why we should read manuals. I was never able to get more than 50 rounds in my D-60 or their 9mm versions because I never read it. :\ I appreciate your sacrifice.

Donut77donut

Just got back from the range. Here are the results.

I shot 2- D60 drums 2X each - 240 rounds ran flawlessly.
The 150 rd Armatac 1X drum was flawless. A Sheriff wanted to take video :)
#1 KCI 100 rd drum was flawless.
#2 KCI 100 rd drum failed to feed rounds up the mag body 10+ times. It eventually stopped with about 64 rounds in it. I will need to disassemble it to fix the left column of dummy rounds that fell out.
4- 30 rd box mags ran flawlessly.

The KCI drums were also very easy to load with the Magpump. I just unpinned the handle on the Magpump, rotated it 180 degrees and pinned it back. Then inserted the drum and pulled up on the handle for each round. Easy peesy.

I really like the D60 mags. They are not that hard to load, although more difficult than any other drum I've loaded. 2- D60 drums fit in a .30 cal ammo can for storage. I may keep the 2 from Brownells if they ever make it out of the BRASELTON, GA FedEx location.

I would pay $80 for additional D60 mags if anyone does not want theirs.

Is the SAW drum really worth that much coin?

Or is that money better spent on D-60’s?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Is the SAW drum really worth that much coin?

Or is that money better spent on D-60’s?

I got it at cost but it is pricey. I'm still glad I got it cause it makes people smile nervously. You could get 3 D60s for that price and still have more loaded ammo. I could not get the D60s to load with the Magpump though.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
The real question is, how much is prolonged trigger time worth? For greatest value, 30 round mags are cheapest way to go. The greater the capacity, the higher the cost of that capacity. The D60s are more money than two 30 round mags. And the 100 round mags and drums are more than the cost of two D60 drums. But a 30 round mag only lasts for around two seconds, while the D60 lasts for around four seconds. A 100 round drum or mag can last around 10 seconds. Of course cyclic rate can have a bigger perceived effect with a larger capacity feeding device.

My brother has a couple of of 150 round drums and says that he has had great luck with them. But they are rather heavy when fully loaded and somewhat fragile. I went an even greater expense with a Valkyrie Armaments belt fed conversion. But that is a whole other level. I very much appreciate the extended trigger time with the higher capacity mags.

Scott

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Another thing to remember is after 30 rounds mag dumping, the smoke is so thick you cant see the target.

Garrett

Another thing to remember is after 30 rounds mag dumping, the smoke is so thick you cant see the target.
The counter argument is when you are shooting short bursts but mag changes would be best to be avoided. I’m thinking situations like the ever-popular helicopter pig hunts. You’re probably better off having a big mag and reloading less often. For the cost of one helo hunt, I’m thinking spending a few hundred more on a couple of drums is small change.

Or maybe I’m just fantasizing about what I want to do once I get my .223 upper.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Hopefully the chopper rotors and speed will keep the smoke away. :)

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I mean, I had to be Debbie downer, but how many rounds can you shoot through an AR barrel before you're degrading it? Do the DI setups run hotter than this blowback? Could be a factor, but I remember IraqVetran8888 doing infrared on a mag dumping m16, and it wasn't that many rounds before the thing was white hot.

https://youtu.be/Qe4GvVYNQbc?t=206
Edit: there is the video. I gotta say it was a lot more than i remembered before failure! The M16 is an amazing weapons platform, and I doubt anybody owns enough D60s to run them back to back and melt a barrel.

Last edited:

Homer

Wasn’t it in smoky and the bandit…
But daddy it’s too heavy with the bullets in it

DistalRadius

I mean, I had to be Debbie downer, but how many rounds can you shoot through an AR barrel before you're degrading it? Do the DI setups run hotter than this blowback? Could be a factor, but I remember IraqVetran8888 doing infrared on a mag dumping m16, and it wasn't that many rounds before the thing was white hot.

Blowback?
You funny.

Eurodriver

https://youtu.be/Qe4GvVYNQbc?t=206
Edit: there is the video. I gotta say it was a lot more than i remembered before failure! The M16 is an amazing weapons platform, and I doubt anybody owns enough D60s to run them back to back and melt a barrel.

Heh.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Todays results.

2- D60 drums - 120 rounds flawlessly.
The 150 rd Armatac 1X drum flawless.
#1 KCI 100 rd drum flawless.
#2 KCI 100 rd drum flawless.
5- 30 rd box mags flawless.

I might get some more of the KCI drums.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards